First 234

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I have a terrible weakness: I never notice anything about the details in my environment. It will often happen that I will have gone to a certain place dozens or even more times, and I will fail to notice some very obvious thing. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, I will notice these things and say, "Is that new?" Then, I find out it had always been there, but I hadn't noticed it before.

Another key thing: I will wake up, and suddenly it is spring. Where the hell did that come from??? The flowers are there - holy crap how did that happen?

People will walk by me, and I will not even notice they walk by....until they say, "HEY RENEE!!!!" It's like, "Holy crap."

My husband notices things I would never have seen. For example, we'll walk by an alcove, and he'll say, "I wonder what's behind there?"

"Where?"

"There!"

"WHERE?"

"There!! MY GOD THERE!!!!"

I wonder what's behind there???? Well, I will dream up some crazy fantasy, and he will think more practically. Though, now I have taught him to imagine that is some kind of leprechaun forest where they have contests and parties and things.

He asked me today, "You know what? At work, people think you are so professional and they think you know everything because you appear so knowledgeable. But then, they do not interact with you on a daily basis in everyday life, so they do not see that when it comes to daily things, you are COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT???? I see these things, and so does everyone else, so they would assume YOU see them. But no. You don't notice these obvious things. You just walk by, dreaming in your head; thinking, contemplating, pondering the world, but you cannot or do not notice normal, ordinary things everyone sees??? Why is that?"

Damned if I could answer. I simply said, "Pfft. In case you hadn't realized by now, my brain is wired a bit differently than most people's minds."

How can I improve this ability???? I feel like a retarded dumb ass!!! Why can I not see the things most people see??? Is there something wrong with me??? How can I change it???
    How I do it is by putting my glasses on. Not kidding. I have thickass ones that make me look like Urkel.

Other than that? Focus? Concentrate.

I have this problem too, because I can be totally oblivious about my surroundings, especially when it comes to parking spots. I'm tired of paying fines simply bc I don't notice detail and 'signs' posted randomly in places.

Oh- and sometimes, I'd rather not notice the details- I can't stand the thought of having to 'clean' things.. lol. I'm still waiting on the robotic housemaid invention.
    "Oh, Rosie.."

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I have a terrible weakness: I never notice anything about the details in my environment.
    So far all I've read is the original post. I had to stop and make this comment before reading the rest of the thread...

Praise be! Am I glad Little Linguist posted this topic. I completely suck at noticing details. And only in the past couple of years since I started paying attention to the downsides of Ne, have I realized how much this affects (and oftentimes hinders) me as I go about my life. So THANK YOU Little Linguist!!!!

... Now off to read the rest of the thread for some ideas. Then I'll post some of the things I've tried to do to counteract this Ne shortcoming.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Do you know what my family used to do to me? They would shift pieces of furniture and ornaments ect to see how long it would take for me notice. It took me three weeks to notice a table had been moved, so my mother, in the interests of tourturing me started moving stuff, around for a period of six months, every day, because she found it embarassing that I never noticed stuff. So I'd come home from school and have to figure out what had moved. Who cares, if an ornament has been moved from the mantle piece to the display cabinent. Grrrrr. Anyway, it seems it has helped me later in life, as mostly no-one notices how completely oblivious I am to such things for the most part.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dali

Tip: make a concerted effort, everyday, to notice physical details about people you come into contact with on a daily basis. The colour/cut of their hair, their eyes, their garb, their gait...

O/T:
    The person with the most developed Se I have ever seen is my INFJ. He walks into a room and he subconsciously assesses everything so, in his words, "I don't get any surprises". He compounds that by having killer Si. The best photographic memory I've personally encountered. He could tell you every detail of the interior of a restaurant he visited three months ago (and only once at that) or, seemingly effortlessly, recount, (almost) word for word, from memory, an interesting news article he had seen a few days prior.

Frankly, after all these months, I'm still a little amazed. Do any other INFJs identify with this?
    Last edited by Dali; 05-23-2010 at 03:24 AM.

MBTI
    ISTP

Play a team sport.

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Do you know what my family used to do to me? They would shift pieces of furniture and ornaments ect to see how long it would take for me notice. It took me three weeks to notice a table had been moved, so my mother, in the interests of tourturing me started moving stuff, around for a period of six months, every day, because she found it embarassing that I never noticed stuff. So I'd come home from school and have to figure out what had moved. Who cares, if an ornament has been moved from the mantle piece to the display cabinent. Grrrrr. Anyway, it seems it has helped me later in life, as mostly no-one notices how completely oblivious I am to such things for the most part.
    Ha ha ha... that's great. Your mom sounds funny.

I think I had the opposite problem. I used to rearrange the furniture on my mom, but I think it was mostly to make my chores like vacuuming the living room fun (i.e. I would do that instead of vacuuming), and because I would get bored when things were the same for too long...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Stand still or sit on a bench somewhere and just really study your environment with a calm and quiet mind. If anything, it will be a peaceful way to spend some time, but try not to spend it in thought with your mind wandering. Just "be".
    "What's Taters, Precious?" --- Gollum.

"Bring your pretty face, to my axe". --- Gimly.