• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Attracted to sadness?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My most creative moments as a musician have come through pain/sorrow. I wish it were not so, but it is...

I agree with you very much.

The deepest I have ever felt and been has been out of pain/sorrow, and I need it to sustain my depth and personality. I feel it influences my being and some of the best things I've done, in general, have been around it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i see beauty in sadness...but i think it's more about depth of emotion than actual sadness....i personally don't love being sad very often and never around other people and i prefer it to be a heartbreaking movie or something rather then something deeply personal...so i can feel it and then let it go...if that makes any sense.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I agree with Erinavery. In real life, I hate to be sad, but when I'm writing or reading or listening to music...bittersweet art appeals to me. Unrequited love, sorrow, heartbreak--I've been accused of being a cynic for it, but anything that shows sorrowful beauty, I find myself enjoying. It's the catharcis of it, perhaps? (ick, I probably spelled that wrong...)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can be attracted to melancholy. I don't know about being attracted to outright sadness or pain, but sometimes I let my mind go there, just to shake up my experience and perception.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do enjoy dwelling in sadness and melancholy time to time. There is a beauty in it, one that cannot be found anywhere else.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think its human nature to be interested in sadness, this sort of thing is capitalized by news reports all the time. When was the last time you heard 30 minutes of positive news, more like a few minutes and the rest is disaster or sad news. How much better would it be to even the ratio out in favour of positive news but that isn't going to pull the heart string nowhere near as much as the other stuff. But then there is the saturation point where everything becomes a blur.

Certainly listen to heavy and depressing songs, less often nowadays. I used to be creative when deeply despondent and that creativity is now a fleeting memory. Can't say I miss those days, sort of do, for I relied upon my stubbornness to get my self belief rock n rolling and hence felt better able to express the darker side of light.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
I appreciate a certain reflective melancholy and bittersweetness that speaks to some truth about reality. I don't like being sad personally and am tired of such things. I like having some energy and joy.

Yes, same here. Sadness in art can be very beautiful. I went to see Phantom of the Opera a few weeks ago and was moved almost to tears at the end by the phantom's sorrow.

Personally, though, I'd much rather spend a fun week partying with friends than sitting at home moping and listening to Coldplay! (Not that I haven't done the latter at times, but those aren't exactly the times I like to remember, ya know?) I think it has to do with me not being very artistic. If I'm sad, I don't produce beautiful paintings or brilliant poems; the only things I accomplish are emptying out the fridge, emptying boxes of cigarettes, and emptying out my brain (not in a good way). Happiness makes me a lot more productive.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do you feel it a waste of time or something you hate to feel to linger in sadness when you can be happy, or do you like it and it feels okay to you? Almost like it's vital or repleneshing to dwell on it sometimes?

See my sig quote... :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
My most creative moments as a musician have come through pain/sorrow. I wish it were not so, but it is...

I agree with Erin too. I find it is any strong deep emotion that captures me.

It can be pure inspiration, or staring into nothingness. Either works. It's only when I don't care about a topic that I feel stuck.