Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    You and your Goth girls. XX OO
    It's not just Goth girls. She could be a depressed cheerleader and I...I...

If anyone needs me I'll be in my bunk.

Attachment 1009
    Last edited by JivinJeffJones; 06-23-2008 at 09:52 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

OP: When I was younger, yes, but not after I realized it could kill me -- so now I fend the black dog off.

MBTI
    INFP

Default Music of any kind is one of my greatest passions...

WHEN I WAS YOUNGER... (Sheesh, I've been saying that a lot ) I wondered why I was drawn to, identified mostly with, and was moved deeply by the power of minor music (classical or otherwise). I chocked it up to my stressful home situation, however my siblings didn't react the same way.

Thankfully, I think I got most of the sadness out of my system, however I still appreciate just about any minor music.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFJ

It's not really the attraction to sadness, it's more of an attraction to depth of feeling.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post
    It's not really the attraction to saddness, it's more of an attraction to deep feeling.
    Oh yes! That sounds exactly like what I wanted to express.

I'm a naturally cheerful person, and I am rarely truly 'sad' or 'depressed'. If I am, it's usually a momentary thing, and I dislike it enough not to want to linger.

But on the other hand, a lot of the music I listen to and I adore is so sad and depressing and bleak. But chippinchunk hit it on the head - I love that sort of music because there's so much passion and strength and depth to the sadness that just absorbs me without usually making me sad, too. It's wonderful.

Of course, there is the occasional cheerful song that I love as intensely as the sad ones, but there's a fine, fine line between being boring and banal and being overly cheesy when you're dealing with positive emotions.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hmm...let me see if I can articulate this!

I don't know that I'm 'attracted' to sadness. I mean, I'm 'attracted' to joy and passion and zest too. Maybe I'm attracted to realness, because all of them are part of life.

I feel like it's a rarity when I am experiencing just ONE emotion - and when I'm able to isolate my experience into just one emotion, then I can really be 'comfortable' in it, and bask in it, if you will. With sadness...pure sadness...that's more melancholy for me, and it's more of a quiet emotion; very contemplative, and actually kind of objective. Just recognizing there is a lot about the world and our existance that IS sad. Or certain books will make me feel sad deep within...but it's not so much that I wallow in it, it's just a recognition. I was feeling it a lot while reading a book recently called 'A Fine Balance'. It was just a beautiful, but very sad, book...and the sadness made it beautiful. I don't know...anyway, I don't associate pure sadness as 'bad'.

Negative emotional experiences for me though are when I have a million emotions running simultaneously, and I'm unable to isolate them. So negative for me is usually the following emotion (and yes, experiencing all of them simultaneously is what's difficult for me) -- upset/confused/anxious/bitter/guilt/self-bashing/despair/negativity/irritation/panic. Like, the combo of ALL of those at once is what's negative for me. Imagine that. :rolli: So for me, it can be difficult to get to the root of what's going on - and it's only when I do that that the onslaught of all of the emotions will dissipate and I'll be left with just one. I know that must sound weird.

But pure sadness - no, that's just fine.

PS - and by the way, I'm not always experiencing negative emotions!! I can be quite happy/joyous on the other hand. I think it's a pretty equal balance of all of it.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I am certainly more attracted to "sad" art (paintings, music, drama, etc), I feel it is simply more "real" and reflective of the majority of human experience. Melancholy is a sweet form of sadness; a cultivation of the enriching aspects of sombre reflection. Happiness is exceptional...something we pursue in hope and that I feel cannot be forced. This makes happiness all the more genuinely sweeter and satisfying when it is achieved.

This is not (as mentioned earlier in the thread) the sadness of Depression...a spiraling out of control of our mood...Like happiness accelerating into Mania. Walking around excessively dour and woe begotten is about as useful as walking around saccharine sweet and aggresively effusive. Any of these may reflect a serious imbalance in some aspect of our physicality.

I try to enjoy a balance of quiet, reflective happy and sad reflections...both enrich my exisitence and help maintain a sort of contentment while I travel through this place and time.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Storm and rain, the chaos outside matching the chaos inside - It is then my soul finds peace...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post
    It's not really the attraction to sadness, it's more of an attraction to depth of feeling.
    Yep. That's it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers