User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

I agree with the majority here - I enjoy sadness because it's the moment where I usually find the best solutions.

In fact, melancholy is one of my favorite emotions - its aesthetic and subliminal qualities are astonding.

It's not to be confused with depression though.

Deep Rain: Fantastic avatar! *thumbs up*
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm in a storm most of the time, with breaks in between for overcast drizzle. Not a sunshine kind of person. I like shady places. And I think there's a distinct difference between wallowing in a depressive funk and being a person naturally disposed toward "gloom".

Not all flowers blush for the sun, as the Arabs say.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFJ

An occasional melancholy lingering of the thoughts, a pause for mourning and grieving over the sadder events of life, seems to me valuable and no waste of time. It's a kind of honoring of aspects of human experience that can be properly honored in no other way. Usually the mood fades away naturally when it should. It can be prompted (in me) by a real life happening, or by contemplating certain novels, plays, music, and poems.

I do not equate this healthy kind of sadness with depression or my occasional extended bouts of grumpiness and irritability, which I consider unhealthy and unproductive and try to shake myself out of as best I can. :-)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by deep rain View Post
    Do you feel it a waste of time or something you hate to feel to linger in sadness when you can be happy, or do you like it and it feels okay to you? Almost like it's vital or repleneshing to dwell on it sometimes?
    Sadness/Melancholy is an intense feeling, so it can inspire me to create and comprehend things. (It is far more useful to me than indifference or apathy.)

Besides that, however, it's not really a choice to be sad. If I'm sad, then it is honest to be sad. If I'm happy, then it's honest to be happy. I don't like to push emotions away just because they're negative, if I have something that I should truly feel negative about. It's like a denial of truth to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

I feel like I always need to have a strong sense of yearning or I am not myself; a yearning for something that I can never have--not material, but like a knight in shining armor or something as mythical and mystical.

Please, please someone tell me that this somehow makes sense.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    I feel like I always need to have a strong sense of yearning or I am not myself; a yearning for something that I can never have--not material, but like a knight in shining armor or something as mythical and mystical. Please, please someone tell me that this somehow makes sense.
    Yes, it does make sense.

Or, at least, you are not alone.

The sense that there is something bigger, deeper, more brilliant, more substantial, the thing that gives life to the universe and meaning to life, out there somewhere... and we can't quite see it, no matter how hard we try.

Infuriatingly elusive... like the brilliant butterfly whose wings you can brush the tips of your fingers against but cannot quite capture. *sigh*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Most of my favorite songs are at least a little sad. I love them because of the feeling of not-aloneness for lack of a better word. When the song expresses the richness and depth of the the (to steal from Octavia) yearning that, to me, is part of the human condition, it makes me feel connected to life. It somehow is also joyful maybe because the sad means we feel and if we feel we still live. I don't know.

In life in general, I'm a pessimistically happy person. There is always the shadow of sadness, but I try to keep my face toward the light, if that makes any sense.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviaCaesar View Post
    I feel like I always need to have a strong sense of yearning or I am not myself; a yearning for something that I can never have--not material, but like a knight in shining armor or something as mythical and mystical.

Please, please someone tell me that this somehow makes sense.

Perfect total sense.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    Infx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, it does make sense.

Or, at least, you are not alone.

The sense that there is something bigger, deeper, more brilliant, more substantial, the thing that gives life to the universe and meaning to life, out there somewhere... and we can't quite see it, no matter how hard we try.

Infuriatingly elusive... like the brilliant butterfly whose wings you can brush the tips of your fingers against but cannot quite capture. *sigh*

Second that same opinion, Octavia!
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    INFP

Depressed women are brutally hot. I don't know why this should be the case, but they are just too hot for me to argue. It's hard to cheer them up or help them because you just wanna say "DON'T! EVER! CHANGE!"

I realize that this isn't what the OP was addressing, but I thought it should be said before we all disappear into a bottomless scented bower of NFery.