User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 18

  1. #1
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Any INFJs with a logical/analytical side?

    I kind of sit on the fence when it comes to the Thinking/Feeling part, but I'd say my default setting is INFJ. One of my INFP friends, who's a guy, said that I was more of an INTJ. I tend to urge him to be a bit more headstrong and if someone says crap to him that he should just deal with it in a way where he recognizes that their opinion does not reflect his self-worth.

    My previous relationship, my bf at the time said that I didn't express enough emotion for him to tell if I really cared about him. Deep down I did, but I suppose I was a little uneasy around him too.

    I have a tendency to get a bit logical and value empirical evidence for things. I think being in the science field, I value evidence, and I like knowing the purpose behind things. Yet, at the same time, I can be quite sensitive around people that matter, particularly friends, family, and romantic interests. I tend to reveal my deepest emotions to a select few. I don't like to get too worked up in front of people. Yet, I'm deeply empathetic with people.

    A lot of my peers in school ask me for help on hw and other projects because I'm competent and confident about what I know, and what I don't know too. I can be a bit strong-willed too.

    Perhaps having strong Te/Ti along with Fe has something to do with it. Or perhaps Te has gotten stronger as a learned defense mechanism.

    Maybe I'm some weird INFJ/INTJ hybrid. Call it INWTFJ, I guess.

    If you guys want to try to break the tie with some questions, have at it, I don't mind. Do any other INFJs experience this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  2. #2
    Member 1.000.000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I kind of sit on the fence when it comes to the Thinking/Feeling part, but I'd say my default setting is INFJ. One of my INFP friends, who's a guy, said that I was more of an INTJ.

    I can totally relate. Having grown up with an IxTJ dad and over-reactive ESFJ mom, I tend to show a lot more Te than Fe. My dad has always been very calm, collected, and smart when it comes to decision making whereas my mom will freak if things don't go the way she wants things. I tend to think things through the way I imagine my dad would because of that. Because of all that I tend to give off heavy INTJ vibes. Having a close INTP friend contributes to that a lot too. Maybe you've got people dragging out a more T-esqe side in you as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I tend to urge him to be a bit more headstrong and if someone says crap to him that he should just deal with it in a way where he recognizes that their opinion does not reflect his self-worth.
    Haha, I did the same thing for awhile. Self confidence =/= being more of a T. This is always my go to advice whenever someone's not feeling good about themselves either.

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    My previous relationship, my bf at the time said that I didn't express enough emotion for him to tell if I really cared about him. Deep down I did, but I suppose I was a little uneasy around him too.
    I had an ESFP girlfriend for a year who complained about the same thing. She said I was cold and unfeeling. Looking back I can see why. I had a lot of trouble opening up to her because of some things she did that annoyed the Hell out of me. I was a little more than uneasy around her (Se-Ni conflict?). My current girlfriend is an ENFJ. When she read the INFJ description she said it described me personally. INFJs have layers, and the closer people get to my center, the less and less T I (we?) appear.

    Do you think that your boyfriend at the time was going through the same thing my ex was? And do you think that people see you more as an INTJ because you're hesitant to let them in close out of some fear or another?

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I have a tendency to get a bit logical and value empirical evidence for things. I think being in the science field, I value evidence, and I like knowing the purpose behind things. Yet, at the same time, I can be quite sensitive around people that matter, particularly friends, family, and romantic interests. I tend to reveal my deepest emotions to a select few. I don't like to get too worked up in front of people. Yet, I'm deeply empathetic with people.
    I guess I should've read the post as a whole before asking about the layers stuff.

    As an engineering undergrad, I do the same thing you do. It's hard for me to not mentally separate the variables of a problem, analyze the causes and effects, and solve the problem based around such. I think it's more of a Ti need for clarity combined with Ni curiosity. The Ti-NI combo is more of a spider web where every cause and effect can be seen as a whole than Te which comes across as more linear. It sounds like you've got a very strong Ti, and being in the science field is dragging that out of you.

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    A lot of my peers in school ask me for help on hw and other projects because I'm competent and confident about what I know, and what I don't know too. I can be a bit strong-willed too.
    Once again, I can relate completely. Being self aware I tend to know more about what I don't than what I do. I also make it a point to not talk about something unless I know what I'm saying. It's not that I'm smarter than most people as much as it is me not talking whenever I don't know something. When people only hear you say stuff you're 100% sure of, it's not hard to figure out why this gives off the impression of being smart. As far as being stubborn goes, INxJs are known for being stubborn. Being Ni dom went tend to think one idea is the best even when we can't explain why.

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Perhaps having strong Te/Ti along with Fe has something to do with it. Or perhaps Te has gotten stronger as a learned defense mechanism.
    Like I said, you sound like you've got an incredibly strong Ti paired with Ni instead of Te. It sounds like you've got a strong Fe too, even if you don't show it much.

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Maybe I'm some weird INFJ/INTJ hybrid. Call it INWTFJ, I guess.
    If you guys want to try to break the tie with some questions, have at it, I don't mind. Do any other INFJs experience this?
    Sorry if that was a long read. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it. This is something I've been wresting with a lot in my life as well.
    "Wait, time out. I just wanted to ask real quick, if I can. You believe in rebellion, freedom and love, right? "

    You! Yes, you there! What's on your mind when you're just walking along not thinking about anything?

  3. #3
    Crazy Diamond Billy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Im an INFJ and I have a pretty strong T I think, I look at some things through an emotional lens and some through a thinking lens, I am only really super F when it comes to relationships with people outside of that I tend to be pretty logical.
    Ground control to Major Tom

  4. #4
    Senior Member mwv6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I'm 100% INFJ through and through, but I really think I come across as INTJ to many outside of my inner circle. Beyond a certain degree, I just don't reveal my emotional side to many people.

    I enjoy being an INFJ because I think that our Ni and Ti give us a lot of intellectual depth.

  5. #5
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    This puzzles me. Now, this might sound stupid, but how can you not have a logical and analytical side? If you want to call yourself mature, that is.

    Sooner or later you must realize that if you want things to go a certain way, you have to apply methods that work. Cause and effect. Sure, for some it might take a long time to realize, but the side is still present even if it's not used that often.

    I don't know, this seems strange to me. I'm rather reluctant to polarize emotional and logical/analytical sides to some extreme extent, I use both simultaneously with things and decisions that really matter. Or I'm completely missing something here...

  6. #6
    From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    This puzzles me. Now, this might sound stupid, but how can you not have a logical and analytical side? If you want to call yourself mature, that is.

    Sooner or later you must realize that if you want things to go a certain way, you have to apply methods that work. Cause and effect. Sure, for some it might take a long time to realize, but the side is still present even if it's not used that often.

    I don't know, this seems strange to me. I'm rather reluctant to polarize emotional and logical/analytical sides to some extreme extent, I use both simultaneously with things and decisions that really matter. Or I'm completely missing something here...
    It's not stupid in the least bit, and you make valid points. It's practically essential to use both the heart and mind. Human beings generally want to make sense of what we know of the world, likewise use deductive reasoning to make important decisions in our life.

    Part of the reason why I made the OP was to determine whether or not I was truly a thinker in feeler's clothing, or a feeler in thinker's clothing. Also, I wondered if the cognitive processes assessment I took was valid in stating I had tertiary Te. Rather, I think that my tertiary function really is Ti. My mode of thinking is more systematic than linear. I do use logic often (quintessential "if" "then" statements), but I tend to analyze how the parts fit into the whole picture, evaluating cause and effect.

    The other reason was to find solidarity with fellow INFJs that may come across as INTJs to people that don't know them too well. Looks like I'm not the only one!

    I think it's valid to conclude that I'm a feeler in thinker's clothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Johari/Nohari

    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche




  7. #7
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread...sorry, just made me laugh!!

    Yeah, I can relate. I will say though that I'm not a strong 'F' - in the stereotypical, mbti dichotomy/test-taking sort of way. T/F was always very close for me, and in my early 20's I always tested 'T'. Whether or not I'm "really a T" who morphed into an F and found my F side (lol) in my late 20's, such that I don't relate to a purely T approach, or I've always been an F..it really doesn't matter to me at this point. Plus, I think ones very definition/perception of what it means to be INFJ, vs. INTJ, will vary from one to another, thus it becomes more meaningful to others who categorize me as one or the other, in terms of how they view me and therefore approach me.

    Re. showing feelings.... in periods of interpersonal conflict, I have been told by a couple of T's that I seem cold and robotic, and in general in conflict situations I really become closed off and impersonal...situations when pretty much any other personality becomes more angry/empassioned/more emotionally expressive. It's sort of weird.

    I'm also in general a pretty calm, even-keeled person. That's been used to describe me by more than one person, both in my personal life as well as an obvious element to my personality in the workplace.

    In romantic relationships, I can have a pretty hard time expressing emotion; I'm just very self-protective I think and also pretty introverted, so a lot of it is engrained habit, I think, as I wasn't raised in a family that ever really talked about 'deep' things or expressed any sort of emotion - everyone kept things in.

    Growing up I was always torn between my more artistic side and my love of science and mathematics. Funny you mentioned homework -- I was very protective/stingy with my homework and basically didn't let anyone else copy off of me. Never shared my answers. So people learned not to come to me for help. *shrug* I just didn't want to be used. Yet, one of the words that people in real life always use to describe me (from junior high up til today, almost 20 yrs later) is 'Sweet' -- I really am kind to others and kindness/understanding/diplomacy is very important to me. I guess though I've never had as much issue as some FJ's seem to have, with being too giving/self-sacrificial...I've always had a pretty huge independent and self-protective streak and I don't think I'm as giving of myself as many FJ's can be.

    Am I analytical? Good god, yes. It can definitely be a thorn in my side at times because it inhibits me from being able to live in the moment and I project too far outwards or overthink things and can't reach resolution. I analyze everything, but most of my analysis tends to revolve around myself (self-growth and trying to understand myself better) and my relationships/interactions with others. And, I guess psychology on a grander scale - larger populations, cultures, the world.....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  8. #8
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread...sorry, just made me laugh!!

    Yeah, I can relate. I will say though that I'm not a strong 'F' - in the stereotypical, mbti dichotomy/test-taking sort of way. T/F was always very close for me, and in my early 20's I always tested 'T'. Whether or not I'm "really a T" who morphed into an F and found my F side (lol) in my late 20's, such that I don't relate to a purely T approach, or I've always been an F..it really doesn't matter to me at this point. Plus, I think ones very definition/perception of what it means to be INFJ, vs. INTJ, will vary from one to another, thus it becomes more meaningful to others who categorize me as one or the other, in terms of how they view me and therefore approach me.

    Re. showing feelings.... in periods of interpersonal conflict, I have been told by a couple of T's that I seem cold and robotic, and in general in conflict situations I really become closed off and impersonal...situations when pretty much any other personality becomes more angry/empassioned/more emotionally expressive. It's sort of weird.

    I'm also in general a pretty calm, even-keeled person. That's been used to describe me by more than one person, both in my personal life as well as an obvious element to my personality in the workplace.

    In romantic relationships, I can have a pretty hard time expressing emotion; I'm just very self-protective I think and also pretty introverted, so a lot of it is engrained habit, I think, as I wasn't raised in a family that ever really talked about 'deep' things or expressed any sort of emotion - everyone kept things in.

    Growing up I was always torn between my more artistic side and my love of science and mathematics. Funny you mentioned homework -- I was very protective/stingy with my homework and basically didn't let anyone else copy off of me. Never shared my answers. So people learned not to come to me for help. *shrug* I just didn't want to be used. Yet, one of the words that people in real life always use to describe me (from junior high up til today, almost 20 yrs later) is 'Sweet' -- I really am kind to others and kindness/understanding/diplomacy is very important to me. I guess though I've never had as much issue as some FJ's seem to have, with being too giving/self-sacrificial...I've always had a pretty huge independent and self-protective streak and I don't think I'm as giving of myself as many FJ's can be.

    Am I analytical? Good god, yes. It can definitely be a thorn in my side at times because it inhibits me from being able to live in the moment and I project too far outwards or overthink things and can't reach resolution. I analyze everything, but most of my analysis tends to revolve around myself (self-growth and trying to understand myself better) and my relationships/interactions with others. And, I guess psychology on a grander scale - larger populations, cultures, the world.....
    Cross out the math and science part and you get mostly everything I could have written on this particular subject.

  9. #9
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Cross out the math and science part and you get mostly everything I could have written on this particular subject.
    Well, my dear Sky is BLUE!, we're part of Team Robots-with-a-sweet-side (or Sweeties-with-a-penchant-for-becoming-cold-robots?) I'll just be the geekier science nerd who goes birdwatching, liked differential equations, and reads sci-fi. ha.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  10. #10
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    I know two INFJs. they are both capable of critical analysis.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] Have any INFJs here successfully integrated their inferior function?
    By CatBalou in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ's and logic
    By Lily flower in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM
  3. [INFJ] INFJ with a weak sx?
    By hearthem in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 04:33 AM
  4. [INFJ] Any INFJ ladies with narcissistic mothers?
    By Gloriana in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
  5. [INFJ] Any INFJ girls?
    By findthejake in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO