User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

A lot of my peers in school ask me for help on hw and other projects because I'm competent and confident about what I know, and what I don't know too. I can be a bit strong-willed too.
    And how do you respond to the requests for help?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My Shakespeare prof suggested I consider law, FWIW and I scored pretty high on the logic portion of my friend's practice GRE. I am not always logical and I don't think logic is the highest ideal, but I still logic and analysis. It makes my brain happy and my life more pleasant.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My Shakespeare prof suggested I consider law, FWIW and I scored pretty high on the logic portion of my friend's practice GRE. I am not always logical and I don't think logic is the highest ideal, but I still logic and analysis. It makes my brain happy and my life more pleasant.
    ooh, that reminds me... back when I took the GRE, when they still had an Analysis/Logic section to the test, I was in the 95th percentile for that section - higher than both the verbal and the math
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    And how do you respond to the requests for help?
    I never give away the answers for free. I help the person to arrive at the answers by asking them questions to get them to think on their own. I've done this in many tutoring sessions as well, and I find it helps the other person to learn the material at a deeper level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I never give away the answers for free. I help the person to arrive at the answers by asking them questions to get them to think on their own. I've done this in many tutoring sessions as well, and I find it helps the other person to learn the material at a deeper level.
    Read the first and second paragraph of this INFJ description (INFJ) and you will see that some parts of it are almost identical with what you just wrote. You sound pretty INFJ to me.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Read the first and second paragraph of this INFJ description (INFJ) and you will see that some parts of it are almost identical with what you just wrote. You sound pretty INFJ to me.
    That description fits me so well, it isn't even funny. I checked out the INTJ description on that site, and while some parts fit, others don't.

No wonder I feel this side of the board is like home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

I find INFJs in general to be pretty logical. It's mostly women of that type that I know, however. It's part of their charm that they present this rational way of dealing with things but have this deep emotional undercurrent that's hidden away or not always overtly expressed.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I think it's valid to conclude that I'm a feeler in thinker's clothing.
    I can relate to some of what you've said, but I might be the reverse of what you describe here. There is an online social dynamic associated with "T's" that I don't relate with much in that I'm not consistently assertive or verbally rough-house as a habit, but in personal relationships I approach most problems through a distanced, analytical lens and my test scores in logic are high. I tend to be interested in analyzing subjective systems, those that can't always be boiled down to exacting measurements, those systems that involve perception as one element. I'm invested in these subjective, and potentially emotional realms, but am rather abstract about it instead of being experiential about it.

One big difference I've noticed in my approach to applying reason is that I tend towards a holistic approach that attempts to deconstruct the different elements that go into a system, including those that can be measured and defined, and those that are more approximate by nature. Sometimes people who communicate as T's are more compartmentalized in their approach to systems. I've noticed some people discuss purely logical systems while disregarding any elements that don't fit with it, and then describe subjective systems like the arts as being more "to each their own" as being outside the realm of applying logic and reason. Of course this doesn't always apply, but I notice it when it is encountered.

I'm strongly introverted, so I can find both strongly T or F social dynamics alien to me. On the one-type sites I get uneasy when the rules say "be polite we are a sensitive MBTI type", or when there is pressure for people to push buttons and prove they are insensitive. I find potential for miscommunication in both scenarios. I guess in a strange way I don't relate to either category, but figure reason demonstrates itself well enough in discussion. I care about people's feelings, and empathy is an important skill and awareness to me, so I put effort into it as much as applying reason. I think any social system that has strong unspoken rules and boundaries and pressure to conform is a bit alienating to me regardless of the social style.

I don't find empathy and logic to be opposite or mutually exclusive. Both involve understanding information that plays a role in reality, both require the ability to go outside oneself and view a problem from another perspective. Both require the application of reason to be accurate in dealing with the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    ooh, that reminds me... back when I took the GRE, when they still had an Analysis/Logic section to the test, I was in the 95th percentile for that section - higher than both the verbal and the math
    That's a really high score which would place your percentile much higher for the general population, probably well into the 99.something percentile. I think my score on that section was 91 percentile, and my verbal was a bit lower.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.