User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default To INFP's and ENFP's...

To all the INFP's and ENFP's out there, what do you think the difference is between these two types and what makes you think you're an INFP/ENFP? Can an INFP come across as being extroverted, can an ENFP seem to be introverted? What are the differences regarding introversion and extroversion in these types? Please be as specific as you can...and examples are definitely welcome!!

Thanks! luna~

Hm. I don't really know which I am, but I think I feel the most energy from the outside world and when I spend too much time by myself I become depressed. But that could be said about pretty much any human being.

I guess what made me choose ENFP was learning about the cognitive functions... for ENFP, Ne (extroverted intuition) is dominant and Fi (introverted feeling) is auxiliary. For INFP, it is reversed. So while I use both almost in equal amounts, I tend to use the Ne more often.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm definitely more ne than fi and definitely outward focused. i am lifeless and somewhat depressed when not interacting with people or the external world in some way. i don't think everyone who meets me would think at first glance that i'm an extrovert. if there's someone more extraverted than me in the room...i'll appear much less so...it's an odd thing really. :/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by lunalove View Post
    To all the INFP's and ENFP's out there, what do you think the difference is between these two types and what makes you think you're an INFP/ENFP? Can an INFP come across as being extroverted, can an ENFP seem to be introverted? What are the differences regarding introversion and extroversion in these types? Please be as specific as you can...and examples are definitely welcome!!

Thanks! luna~
    E's get their energy from being around others while I's get their energy from being alone. I do have a theory that E's enjoy going to places like bars/clubs/social events while I's tend to dread those places much more.

I personally scored as INFP, but some people would consider me "extroverted" because when I'm around them I am outgoing. I'll never derive my energy from others though and hanging out alone in my room is where I tend to be (atleast recently).

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Hm. I don't really know which I am, but I think I feel the most energy from the outside world and when I spend too much time by myself I become depressed. But that could be said about pretty much any human being.

I actually enjoy being alone...is that weird? At the same time, I find that I need one or two close friends who I can share my soul with and have deep, meaningful conversations with. I am perfectly happy being outside with a book, writing or journaling, bonding with nature...but I do need human and animal contact...especially hugs.

I guess what made me choose ENFP was learning about the cognitive functions... for ENFP, Ne (extroverted intuition) is dominant and Fi (introverted feeling) is auxiliary. For INFP, it is reversed. So while I use both almost in equal amounts, I tend to use the Ne more often.
    I'm still figuring out the nuances between Ne and Fi. So far, it sounds like I have elements of both as well...which is why I posted here! I'm guessing we all have both introverted and extroverted characteristics...it just seems to me it's about motivation and which one is dominant for an individual?

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i'm definitely more ne than fi and definitely outward focused. i am lifeless and somewhat depressed when not interacting with people or the external world in some way. i don't think everyone who meets me would think at first glance that i'm an extrovert. if there's someone more extraverted than me in the room...i'll appear much less so...it's an odd thing really. :/
    I pounce on hubby after I've been alone all day. I want to share my day with him, hear about his day, and be close. If I see someone who seems shy I am likely to go ver and chat with them. On the other hand, I have always dreaded parties (unless I hosted them for a group of close friends to watch them interact...they always wanted to know why I just stood on the sidelines and observed?), and I really enjoy my time alone. I would rather read a book then go to a party, and often I often get social anxiety believing others don't like me? (Not sure if that makes someone an introvert though?) I understand what you mean about being "overshadowed" by someone in the room who is more extroverted than you...I'm just not sure if that's me or not? Will have to give that some thought...thanks LadyX! :-)

MBTI
    ENF
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by MrRandom88 View Post
    E's get their energy from being around others while I's get their energy from being alone. I do have a theory that E's enjoy going to places like bars/clubs/social events while I's tend to dread those places much more.

I hate clubs, bars, parties, etc. I prefer to be home, or camping, with hubby and the dog. Is it possible to be a homebody extrovert? lol I seem to get energy from people if I am close to them or I am helping them in some way. If I make someone feel good, I feel good. But often this produces conflict for me (I resonate strongly with the other person's emotions and it gets overwhelming....or I simply feel like being alone for some reason?) I feel like these two sides of my personality are often in conflict! I spent most of my childhood alone singing, dancing, and making up stories. is it possible for a person to be an insecure extrovert...or is this sounding more introverted?

I personally scored as INFP, but some people would consider me "extroverted" because when I'm around them I am outgoing. I'll never derive my energy from others though and hanging out alone in my room is where I tend to be (atleast recently).
    I hear ya! Do you feel drained after being in a situation when you are considered outgoing? If so, what is it that drains you? Thanks!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hmm...i'm not sure but i can say i personally love any excuse for a get together and would almost never prefer to stay home alone...although i do have the occasional antisocial mood.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Extroverts will obtain energy when they are around people, while introverts use up energy when they are around people.

Ive taken the official test at a university and scored ENFP freshman year. I didnt think anything of it then later in college I rediscovered it and scored ENFP again. The descriptions fit me well and while I dont fit all, the functions make sense to me and I connect with my type.

I have been very antisocial lately however because I have had so much stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Yes, me too. I suspect that is maybe the difference between Fe and Ne? Fe is by definition about human interactions and establishing roles and that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lunalove View Post
    I'm still figuring out the nuances between Ne and Fi. So far, it sounds like I have elements of both as well...which is why I posted here! I'm guessing we all have both introverted and extroverted characteristics...it just seems to me it's about motivation and which one is dominant for an individual?
    Well my understanding (which is still somewhat shaky) is that as either an ENFP or as an INFP you'd use Ne and Fi a lot. I think everybody uses all the functions, but it's more about which you prefer to use/give you energy versus which require a lot of effort for you.

Maybe this is a totally weird (or even incorrect) analogy for Fi and Ne, but I sort of think of it like there is this safe place, deep inside of me, like a nest or a den, and then there is this world of ideas all around... am I constantly scanning through this world of ideas, collecting interesting or shiny or profound ones and then when I am overloaded, bringing them back to the nest to be nurtured (Ne dominant, Fi auxiliary)? Or am I in the nest to begin with, nurturing and cultivating the ideas that I have and then going out from time to time to gather more (Fi dominant, Ne auxiliary)?

Probably depending on where I am in life I have been both. But I'd say my personal balance leans more toward the gathering and less toward the nurturing, maybe like 60%/40% or something?