• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] To INFP's and ENFP's...

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Perhaps some questions to ask are:
-Where do I find most energy from? (Internal/External, large crowds/small groups)?
-How do I express myself?

I know that when I first got my results from my career counselor, I felt ashamed, because of the preconceived stereotypes that come along with being ENFP, and at the same time, relieved, knowing that there are other weird people like me :).. but, ask yourself, which feels more natural?

Being ENFP- I also find myself craving the need to be out and about and connecting with people on varying levels in a collaborative way. It's the excitement that gives me energy.

Maybe OP can reflect back on the times when you were younger and were less inhibited about being yourself, and not trying to define yourself according to societal norms? I know some psychologists argue that much of our personalities we form around age 6. We settle more into it by age 9 or 10. 6 is when we're less influenced by social pressures of conformity, and are more of our authentic/untainted selves. 9 is about the time when our hormones start to change, and when we're more influenced especially by our social roles/expectations as we begin to transition into our pre-teens. Maybe look at how you were like as a teenager as well? Then piece it all together with how you are now? Factor in other things such as culture/socioeconomic background. (Also, sometimes, it's beneficial to not get so bogged down by which box we fit in- sometimes our life situation can really make a difference- makes the journey enjoyable along the way). Just a thought. Listen to your self. Only you know yourself most. ;) :hug:

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I hate parties-but yeah pounce on my coworkers after not having freinds around all weekend. Chat for ten minutes to five different people, then I can start work.

I'm not so social that I would talk to 5 coworkers at once :) Maybe just one. I'd probably have one close friend I'd talk to...at least that's how I was n school. I'm beginning to think it's not about the social aspect so much as it about your energy and where you put it? Like, my husband is clearly an introvert. He would rather just be quiet in his own head. I would rather talk things out...

Alone time is sacred. Funny sometimes I want to be around people-but not interact with them-like reading by myself in a bookstore.
But parties-Yucky!! That's so interesting! So, you get energy from simply being around people...even if you aren't interacting with them? :)

TOTALLY. I think I use so much Ne, that having to focus and interact can be exhausting. Then I need to hide away for a day. If it is a close friend it is great but anyone I would have to make an effort to interact with is bad. The worst thing I ever had to do was drive from Michigan to Texas with my ISTP mom-in-law. She talked the whole time about very specific details of very specific people-12 hours a day. It was like being beaten with a bat over and over again. At work, I train or give lectures. I really enjoy helping the customers, but by the end of the day my brain is empty. I need quiet time. Even with close friends, sometimes I find myself feeling drained after a while and I need a break. I just resonate too strongly with others and I find I need to recharge. Especially if it's a situation where I'm in giving mode (which is true for most of my relationships, now that I think about it--which is why I was thinking I might be NFJ), perhaps I just need to have new kinds of friendships? (sorry, thinking out loud....see, extrovert!!) ;)

This is really awesome Gromit-that description is amazing.

I did this a lot when younger-I think many ENFPs do this. If someone around us acts differently we will see the change in the behavior-then we do the silly Ne thing where we go "Is it me? Did I do something? Are they mad at me?" 95% of the time, no it isnt me, so eventually I sort of just ignore that wierd little internal voice.
I hate it!! I think I'm getting beter at my battle with the internal voice :) It's not easy though. Wonder why we do that??

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I am familiar with enneagram. I believe the 6 type is not uncommon for ISxJs, so introverts can be one.

Don't confuse dependency with extroversion either. Although, what you describe still sounds more extroverted to me.

My ISFJ mom needs a lot of reinforcement and seeks approval, but she doesn't think aloud that much. It's more that her judgment is swayed by consensus.

Thanks Orange :) Uing your definition of extrovert, I would have to say I'm extroverted. One letter down, three still to go :) My husband is an introvert, and I now see the difference between us. This is quite helpful! Maybe now, I can stop thinking he's upset with me when he goes inside his head...he's just being an introvert :) Thanks!!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Sometimes I think you are too nice to be ENFP! But I don't think INFPs are nice either, so there is that.
Aurel, what about ENFP/INFP would you say isn't nice? Just curious, thanks :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
haha! is having a quick temper an enfp thing? i know my dad did...just like me...he would have a 2-5 min lil bitch fest and then be all done and happy again...i'm the exact same. :blush:

it really is kind of awful isn't it?

Really? If I get angry, I take it out on myself...

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
my extroversion also depends largely on my mood

happy= very extroverted

for example this weekend I met new friends and ran around campus drinking with them and holding their hands and claiming to be new girl soulmates forever

but if I'm not chipper, I'll barely be able to converse with people I actually like. I'll suffer in my Fi or find someone I trust and love completely.

but in the end, I do love interaction, and without it i get lonely/anxious. over interaction always energizes me, even if I dont THINK I'm in the mood for it.

i assume thats sorta the difference? since our types seem so close

Thanks Gigi, I'm giving this some thought... :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I dont think you should base the distiction between being an INFP and ENFP on your level of social interaction. After all there is a high digree of things that influence social saviness. Sure having external intuition can be like having an extra claf muscle, useful for running that marathon, but in reality a healthy internal feeling user can magnetize others with their values. I think the main factor there would be the coinfidence to act accordingly to ones own inpulses.
On thing that I think diverges the INFP from the ENFP is how much they each are influeced by those they care about. The INFP will have a harder time waving away the expectations of others, while the ENFP, although more concerned about this than its thinking couterpart (ENTP,) will have an easier time acting accordingly to theitr own impulses. This can give the impression that the INFP is an impressionable pushover, but it only means that they are more genuienly touched by the opinions of others.

If someone has an expectation of me, most of my life I have put that above all else...the exception being if something I believe in is being threatened.

Also the ENFP will have an easier time getting past emotional injuries; they live in a world of Ne possibilities and dont like to be anchored by resentment. INFP on the other hand will be more likely to play the issue in their minds over and over again until they can make sense of their emotional turmoil. So the INFP are more likely to digest their unpleasant feelings, while the ENFP is more likely to vomit them.

If I am criticized, it feels like death. Is that INFP, or some other personality altogether (I am flirting with ENFJ)

Either way both types are great! Some of the most genuine people you will ever meet. always happy to meet more ENFPs and INFPs!
:yes::yes::yes:
You have very positive energy!! :) Thanks for the info!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Eh.... Fi is pretty individualistic. I think autonomy is pretty important to most Fi-doms. An INFP will respect your opinions & not always find it necessary to assert their own, but that doesn't mean they agree with you or are influenced by you.

Will INFPs or ENFPs assert their own opinions if they feel their values are being threatened?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? If I get angry, I take it out on myself...

yes unfortunately...i'm not proud of it...but yes...something like...fuck you you fucking prick you think you're so fucking blah blah blah...but you're really just...blah blah blah...why don't you just blah blah blah and leave me the fuck alone! i told you blah blah blah and you know blah blah blah and you still did blah blah blah...and i don't fucking need it and i don't deserve it so fu! haha

rare but yes in varying degrees of immaturity something like that..

i'm also enneagram 7 and sx/so so that might not be as much an enfp thing as a 7 thing...who knows.

i'm usually pretty emotionally mature...just saying...i have a quick temper :blush:

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Perhaps some questions to ask are:
-Where do I find most energy from? (Internal/External, large crowds/small groups)?
-How do I express myself?

I am happiest in one on one situations. How do I express myself? I write in my journal, write music, use my face as a canvas with makeup, do abstract art, I use my clothes to represent a mood, or I talk things out with someone.

I know that when I first got my results from my career counselor, I felt ashamed, because of the preconceived stereotypes that come along with being ENFP, and at the same time, relieved, knowing that there are other weird people like me :).. but, ask yourself, which feels more natural? Thanks...still working on it :)

Being ENFP- I also find myself craving the need to be out and about and connecting with people on varying levels in a collaborative way. It's the excitement that gives me energy.

I like giving people compliments as a way to make their life better. I believe if someone is depressed and I say something nice to them, it could change their day (not me personally, but anyone). I think it's important to help people feel good about themselves. I build my relationships around this idea. I'm not sure I get energy from the people themselves, but rather from helping them. (I am not however an enneagram 2 as I do not share many of their traits.) I do feel the need to get the approval of others for everything, therefore I talk things out with others to make sure my decisions/actions will be ok with them. Displeasing someone feels like death...

Maybe OP can reflect back on the times when you were younger and were less inhibited about being yourself, and not trying to define yourself according to societal norms? I know some psychologists argue that much of our personalities we form around age 6. We settle more into it by age 9 or 10. 6 is when we're less influenced by social pressures of conformity, and are more of our authentic/untainted selves. 9 is about the time when our hormones start to change, and when we're more influenced especially by our social roles/expectations as we begin to transition into our pre-teens. Maybe look at how you were like as a teenager as well? Then piece it all together with how you are now? Factor in other things such as culture/socioeconomic background. (Also, sometimes, it's beneficial to not get so bogged down by which box we fit in- sometimes our life situation can really make a difference- makes the journey enjoyable along the way). Just a thought. Listen to your self. Only you know yourself most. ;) :hug:

When I was a young kid, I was friends with the other kids in my school. My favorite time was spent with my guy friends making up fantasy worlds! I had a lot of fears. I loved helping other kids, and if someone was shy, I would make sure to help them feel included is possible. I would say that's still me...only now I fantasize without company ;) and I don't feel that others as drawn to me as they were when I was a kid. However, now that I think about it, people sem to still be drawn to me in a "helper" sense...emotionally speaking. I'm not sure if that was the draw in childhood or not? I had a trauma at age 5 so I know that effected my development. Perhaps why my type feels confusing and I type NFJ/NFP...it's like there was me before and after traumatic events. (Any good books on type and early traumas?) Sorry to bring it up...I only mention it as it may pertain to my type. Thanks for the good advice! :) there are so many wonderful people on these boards...I only wish you were more "real" and "tangible" :) ((hugs)) back!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
yes unfortunately...i'm not proud of it...but yes...something like...fuck you you fucking prick you think you're so fucking blah blah blah...but you're really just...blah blah blah...why don't you just blah blah blah and leave me the fuck alone! i told you blah blah blah and you know blah blah blah and you still did blah blah blah...and i don't fucking need it and i don't deserve it so fu! haha

rare but yes in varying degrees of immaturity something like that..

i'm also enneagram 7 and sx/so so that might not be as much an enfp thing as a 7 thing...who knows.

i'm usually pretty emotionally mature...just saying...i have a quick temper :blush:

I'll take some of that! :) i'm quick to blame myself. if something goes wrong, I always think it's my fault. if I do think it's your fault, it will take me forever to tell you so. (In fact, I probably won't tell you...I'll just keep it inside, unless you ask!)I also cry when I get angry!! lol Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous? I cry when I'm angry, when I'm happy...I'm a crying machine! lol When I was really young, my fam says I had a bad temper. One day they put me in my room all day. I don't think I even did anything so bad. So yeah, I made a lot of noise, and kicked the furniture! I pretty much did everything I was told to as a kid...because if I didn't, I got put away for the day. Blech! Wish I'd been more like you...wish I was now too :) At least you release your feelings and other people know how you feel. My hubby knows how I feel because he's very sensitive...and I don't think I'm good at hiding my emotions (I do try to though!). I guess my face/demeanor is pretty expressive?

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm back! School crunch = bah!

I think it's natural to doubt your type. That's just the NFP way. Whenever I doubt my type, I call up one of about five people who audibly roll their eyes and reconfirm what I've always known: I'm ENFP.

My brother is INFP and quite wonderful at it. Because he's social, he's mistaken for an extravert constantly, but isn't, at all.

He's just not much like an ENFP, even when he's extraverting. He's not all over the random place, pulling analogies from buttocks and pinging thoughts off of every reflective surface. He's not working hard to play off other people's strengths, trying to make them feel sparkly. He's also not forgetting to hang out with people, making them feel awful.

Of course, I'm definitely not always like that either. However, my brother when extraverting is pushing out his values, what he finds cool or compelling, spitting insights and being just generally interesting.

I'm probably overdramatizing, but an INFP while extraverting will just be an INFP proclaiming on the outside what he is on the inside.

Another marked difference between myself and my brother is our hunger for novelty. I need experience; I eat it. I can't generate it for myself, all the time. I've got to go out there and search, I need new input constantly. I keep moving, not because I'm restless, or because something's missing. It just feels better to be in a new place. I take this to be giving my crazy Ne free rein.

My brother hasn't moved out of our home state, and probably never will. He's got awesome friends, a sweet guitar and doesn't care to pick up and move to Thailand on a whim, like I did. He generates the experience he needs inside of himself, he kind of cooks it up there.

Lastly, my brother seems to have a much better idea of himself than I do. My identity feels so fluid sometimes. I'm too prone to letting myself be defined by my situation, by the people I'm around. My brother, despite being younger than me, knows what matters to his identity. If that makes any sense.

I know these are very specific examples, maybe not useful for all ENFP/INFPs, but I felt they pointed to some of the principal differences of the two types.

Alright, a friend just dropped by with spaghetti, so I'm sending this baby off and praying it gets posted instead of wiped again :)doh:)

Nomorenames

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The funny thing is this will ring true AND false

To all the INFP's and ENFP's out there, what do you think the difference is between these two types

Short answer: The predominant attitude- introversion or extroversion

That and propensity towards certain Enneagram types

and what makes you think you're an INFP?

It's what the tests tell me. No, wait I'm never sure of my type and bla bla bla /stock "infp" answer.

I identify with the description of the INFP type, not to mention that my personality can be clearly distinguished from the ENFPs that I know in real life.

Can an INFP come across as being extroverted, can an ENFP seem to be introverted?

NEVER!

Can they? Sure. Do they? Yup. How and why are more interesting. I suppose I seem more extroverted when I'm caught up in something I like- when that happens I like sharing whatever has got a hold of my interest. I also like to be a goofball around my friends. I feel that such "displays" of extroversion seem spontaneous, whereas an ENFP is just being their self.

For ENFPs displaying introversion, it's seemed very much affected, in my experience. You could say they have a flair for the dramatic? The introversion is usually a sign that they're upset, stressed, tired, moody, etc.

What are the differences regarding introversion and extroversion in these types? Please be as specific as you can...and examples are definitely welcome!!

Thanks! :) luna~

Alright. Comparing myself to an E7 ENFP, romantic relationships are approached quite differently. The ENFP I know builds up expectations, worries and freaks out and goes through an emotional roller coaster. That's not what the outside world sees. He projects a persona of someone funny, outgoing, gregarious and hand-tailored to fit with the individual he's got his eyes set on (just don't tell him that his insecurities leak out and are visible- that'll only freak him out and make him defensive). The greatest danger he faces in relationships is losing who he really is in trying to be desirable for the other person ("picking up" new tastes in music, fashion, new hobbies, new passions)

Myself? I don't pursue those I'm physically attracted to- what am I? A confident, functioning person? Pshaw!

Seriously- I really dislike being at cross-purposes and that becomes somewhat inevitable when you desire someone. I've got an agenda and I know it. So I stop myself. You see, I get caught up in this abstract dilemma revolving around intentions and ethics. To mine own self I must be true, and what am I if not the values I've chosen to espouse? Right?

When I've finally, tenuously, resolved this internal conflict that repels me from the person I like, I find that I'm not too worried if I'm rejected. If they go out with me- cool beans! If not, so it goes- peace!

I'm quite self-involved

Other little differences (not exclusively about Type, one must factor in cultural socialization and idiosyncrasies):

My mood is far, far, far more stable than any of the ENFPs I know. It's not that they're moody, or that I'm depressed. They seem to go with external stimuli, where as I have a tendency to anchor myself. I may get worked up over something, or depressed or ecstatic- but all things pass. I let things pass through me, where the ENFPs try to keep the good stuff, chuck the bad stuff.

I have anger issues. I feel no anger, nope, nothing at all- I am peace and love incarnate /denial

ENFPs will express anger. In fact, all the ENFPs I've met and gotten to know have a fairly short temper. They periodically blow steam. A ranting ENFP is not uncommon.

Related to that, sweet zombie Jesus! Are they expressive! I have trouble raising my voice, or looking angry/sad/any other negative thing on command.

None of the ENFPs I know take criticism well. They don't like their flaws pointed out, don't take well to being told how and where they might have gone wrong with something (as regards to their identity and choices).

Me? Oh baby. Yeah, give it to me! Tear me up, HARD! Ignorant? Self-centered? Foppish pseudo-intellectual? YES, tell me more! Oh God, oh God- deconstruct my self. Yeah baby, tear down all the artifice and self-deception!!!

*ahem* I really appreciate honesty. I'm a funny sort of narcissist. I think that might just be one of my idiosyncrasies and not something INFPs are given to.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Will INFPs or ENFPs assert their own opinions if they feel their values are being threatened?

Yes...ENFPs are more likely to assert opinions on non-value things also. They can come off pretty opinionated at times.

Not that INFPs won't assert their views, but we're more likely to hang back unless it's important enough to us to deal with the consequences. I would find myself the voice of dissent more often than I care to deal with if I was always expressing my opinion.

ENFPs are also more suave at being the voice of dissent, IMO. INFPs will be more intense & forceful which is probably why we hang back unless it feels necessary. I think people who see INFPs as sweet fluffy creatures have been regarded by the INFP as not worth their energy, so that person gets the pleasant mask.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Short answer: The predominant attitude- introversion or extroversion

That and propensity towards certain Enneagram types

It's what the tests tell me. No, wait I'm never sure of my type and bla bla bla /stock "infp" answer.

I identify with the description of the INFP type, not to mention that my personality can be clearly distinguished from the ENFPs that I know in real life.

NEVER!

Can they? Sure. Do they? Yup. How and why are more interesting. I suppose I seem more extroverted when I'm caught up in something I like- when that happens I like sharing whatever has got a hold of my interest. I also like to be a goofball around my friends. I feel that such "displays" of extroversion seem spontaneous, whereas an ENFP is just being their self.

For ENFPs displaying introversion, it's seemed very much affected, in my experience. You could say they have a flair for the dramatic? The introversion is usually a sign that they're upset, stressed, tired, moody, etc.

Alright. Comparing myself to an E7 ENFP, romantic relationships are approached quite differently. The ENFP I know builds up expectations, worries and freaks out and goes through an emotional roller coaster. That's not what the outside world sees. He projects a persona of someone funny, outgoing, gregarious and hand-tailored to fit with the individual he's got his eyes set on (just don't tell him that his insecurities leak out and are visible- that'll only freak him out and make him defensive). The greatest danger he faces in relationships is losing who he really is in trying to be desirable for the other person ("picking up" new tastes in music, fashion, new hobbies, new passions)

Myself? I don't pursue those I'm physically attracted to- what am I? A confident, functioning person? Pshaw!

Seriously- I really dislike being at cross-purposes and that becomes somewhat inevitable when you desire someone. I've got an agenda and I know it. So I stop myself. You see, I get caught up in this abstract dilemma revolving around intentions and ethics. To mine own self I must be true, and what am I if not the values I've chosen to espouse? Right?

When I've finally, tenuously, resolved this internal conflict that repels me from the person I like, I find that I'm not too worried if I'm rejected. If they go out with me- cool beans! If not, so it goes- peace!

I'm quite self-involved

Other little differences (not exclusively about Type, one must factor in cultural socialization and idiosyncrasies):

My mood is far, far, far more stable than any of the ENFPs I know. It's not that they're moody, or that I'm depressed. They seem to go with external stimuli, where as I have a tendency to anchor myself. I may get worked up over something, or depressed or ecstatic- but all things pass. I let things pass through me, where the ENFPs try to keep the good stuff, chuck the bad stuff.

I have anger issues. I feel no anger, nope, nothing at all- I am peace and love incarnate /denial

ENFPs will express anger. In fact, all the ENFPs I've met and gotten to know have a fairly short temper. They periodically blow steam. A ranting ENFP is not uncommon.

Related to that, sweet zombie Jesus! Are they expressive! I have trouble raising my voice, or looking angry/sad/any other negative thing on command.

None of the ENFPs I know take criticism well. They don't like their flaws pointed out, don't take well to being told how and where they might have gone wrong with something (as regards to their identity and choices).

Me? Oh baby. Yeah, give it to me! Tear me up, HARD! Ignorant? Self-centered? Foppish pseudo-intellectual? YES, tell me more! Oh God, oh God- deconstruct my self. Yeah baby, tear down all the artifice and self-deception!!!

*ahem* I really appreciate honesty. I'm a funny sort of narcissist. I think that might just be one of my idiosyncrasies and not something INFPs are given to.
oh you're weird...i like you. you remind me a lil bit of my enfp friend...who...i'm thinking now...might be infp. :huh:

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4

lol, this sounds familiar somehow... i suppose it's because at this point in my life, i'm pretty aware of my faults... so it wouldn't surprise me, if someone else pointed them out.

i try to think positive, though, but in order for me to change for the better, (and there are things that are just quirks, but others i'd really like to change) i need feedback... sort of like i need someone i trust/ whose opinion i value to validate my suspicions. i don't like passive aggressiveness... i always feel relieved when someone voices what is bothering them.

i love travelling, though, and i am always open to new things, like art... but yes, i feel like my core still stays pretty stable and it's hard for me to abandon something i've made a part of that... i enjoy the company of people, but i live in my head a lot. i love that part when i am coming home from a good encounter with people. it's like i have this warm feeling of meeting the people and then this relief of retreating again.

i can get stuck in my head, which is why enjoy extroverts sort of pulling me back into the world of communication (and ES people pulling me back into action)... if you're closed up too long, it's not good for you. it's when i start thinking in circles.

i am not resentful, though. i'd concider myself as fairly openminded at this point in my life and in the core i am a positive person. it's only under a lot of stress i turn into this resentful person i don't like myself... the real me is curious, caring and open, if reserved and idealistic...

i always want to give people the benefit of the doubt first and i am willing to give people a second chance, too... and maybe a third. sometimes it's hard with the lines... but it's getting a little easier, as i'm getting older.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes...ENFPs are more likely to assert opinions on non-value things also. They can come off pretty opinionated at times.

Not that INFPs won't assert their views, but we're more likely to hang back unless it's important enough to us to deal with the consequences. I would find myself the voice of dissent more often than I care to deal with if I was always expressing my opinion.

ENFPs are also more suave at being the voice of dissent, IMO. INFPs will be more intense & forceful which is probably why we hang back unless it feels necessary. I think people who see INFPs as sweet fluffy creatures have been regarded by the INFP as not worth their energy, so that person gets the pleasant mask.

do you mean passive aggressiveness here? that's something i am trying to avoid. i know that because i am moody and not very assertive... it could become a problem, if i'd let it. i think in that way Fi can become negative. i don't want to be one of those people who turn away from the world and become prickly, self-centered and depressed...

that's why i think learning assertiveness is important. a negative opinion never killed anyone... and if you have built-up negativity, it will hinder your growth, i think...

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i tend to be someone that my ENFP friends like to have as a "sounding board".

i've heard them say things like that i am so thoughtful and i seem to really weigh things in my mind before speaking, and that sounded so strange to me, because i feel as if i just kinda blurt things out much of the time-- but also, i think, because to me, internal assessment is a normal precursor to most every speech or action, and it's a fast process much of the time so it can seem as if there was little forethought...but the point is that there is always forethought! it really didn't occur to me how much i must actually ruminate over things before doing or saying them. but, in comparison to these ENFP friends of mine, i've come to realize that i do. and apparently that isn't something that comes naturally to everyone...

even when i go to a restaurant for a quick bite, i'll read everything on the menu no less than twice to choose what exactly will be the best thing to eat at that time...even though half the time i'll get the same thing i normally do. the ENFPs tend to skim over the menu and just let intuition decide. ultimately i feel like a bit of a dork, but am almost always very pleased with my meal, where the ENFPs experience seems more 50/50 - half the time they're glad they randomly chose what they did, and half the time they'll look at what i got and wish they'd taken more time to think about their options!

so, i would say careful forethought is a trait of the INFP, where thoughtful action is more the ENFP style - more in the moment and by the seat of their pants, but still very aware... if a mistake is made, they know it instantly...

NeFi and FiNe can appear very similar externally (and even in one-on-one conversations, i've found). i see myself much in the ENFPs i've known...it's almost like we're made of the same stuff, but presented in different ways. we both are very sensitive to trends and are self-aware to a degree of being high strung, but where the ENFP typically allows that to permeate their expressions and actions with a nervous enthusiasm, it seems most INFPs are decidedly (perhaps somewhat forcibly) slower and more thought-out, attempting to compensate for Ne's wily tendencies to ultimately make for the most ideal (Fi) situation.

i think that's why the ENFPs like having me as their sounding board, because i communicate in a similar language and tend to often have a similar value set, but, as one put it, i "stop [her] from making stupid rash decisions".

* apologies for my inability to de-personalize data, or to be linear or coherent enough for any potential Ti users that may read some of this post.