• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Almost identical Fe and Fi? Can you help me decipher my cognitive functions result?

Lightyear

My cognitive functions test results have always been a mystery to me:

fe > fi > ni > ne > ti = te > si > se

I believe very strongly that I am an INFJ and it's the type description that fits me best (for example I am quite introverted but am also very J, I love efficiency and getting things done) but why are my Extroverted Feeling and Introverted Feeling scores almost identical? And according to the above test results I am most likely an ENFJ (I also got ENFP before) which is just not true.

Concerning Fe and Fi while reading this thread by Billy (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/29343-need-fi.html) I noticed that though Extroverted Feeling is my strongest function I am also very good at Introverted Feeling, in contrast to Billy I have strong opinions on what is right or wrong and I know what I am feeling when I am alone and am in general aware why I am feeling it. Plus I was brought up in an environment full of Ts so I can't really have picked up any of that Fi stuff during my childhood.

So how does that all fit together? Any ideas?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not so unusual imo to have Fe/Fi/Ne/Ni score highest. From cognitiveprocesses.com (under skill development):

Type development involves developing skills related to the eight psychological functions.

Based on theory and data obtained from people attending training programs and on the Function Skills Development Assessment™, most people report their dominant and auxiliary functions to be their most highly developed functions. This means that they have developed a wider range of skills and more sophisticated skills related to these functions. People tend to use these skills frequently and generally trust the results they produce, whether they are data, organization, evaluations, or decisions.

The development of the other six functions is not so clear. Two patterns are emerging from our research:

1. The same functions as the dominant and auxiliary in the opposite attitudes are the third and fourth most developed. For example, if the dominant and auxiliary are Fe and Si, then the next most developed functions would be Fi and Se. Ne, Ni, Ti, and Te are less developed. The only ordering that appears in the bottom four is that frequently the inferior function is last, that is, if the dominant is Fe then Ti would be the least developed.

2. The order of the functions is close to the order of the functions listed in John Beebe’s model (see Appendix A: Advanced Type Development) with some minor changes in the order of the bottom four.

Question would be how good is your understanding of functions and which function do you 'trust' the most?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've found similar results too Lightyear!

Lightyear

Not so unusual imo to have Fe/Fi/Ne/Ni score highest. From cognitiveprocesses.com (under skill development):

Question would be how good is your understanding of functions and which function do you 'trust' the most?

Hmmm... interesting.

I can see both Fe and Fi in myself (Ni and Ne are a different story, I am still trying to work out what Ni exactly is. If it is some sort of awareness of the unseen and the mysterious then I definitely have it.)

For example I am typically Fe in that I feel immediately drawn to anyone who is hurting or excluded and want to include them, I will often go out of my way to make them feel comfortable despite being an introvert. I also secretly care about what others think, if my behaviour is appropiate in the social context I am in, I don't like offending people.

On the other hand I have a very independent core and I like to keep it that way, I might care about what you think of my behaviour on the surface/my upper layers but you are not going to influence my core beliefs easily, you probably will not even see them unless I let you in.

Also an interesting Fe-Fi clash is when it comes to helping others. As I said I feel drawn to the hurting but can be slow in giving help since I first might be questioning my own intentions ("Why am I giving to this person? Just to make myself feel better? Is that actually really going to help them?") and I am also very careful not to give to someone who then will just demand more and more and pollute my good intentions by just not stopping to take from me. I might at first seem very reserved since I am figuring out if giving is the right thing to do because I know once my Fe takes over and I start giving to someone I find it difficult to stop and say no since I don't want to hurt the other person.

One thing I have noticed with this double F function is that Fe-Fi can sabotage each other but also work together in a good way. Fi keeps it real and makes sure that I stay authentic and have the right intentions while Fe is great at influencing people in a positive way by lifting their spirits through compliments, kindness, generosity, knowing how to say the right word at the right time etc.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm... interesting.

I can see both Fe and Fi in myself (Ni and Ne are a different story, I am still trying to work out what Ni exactly is. If it is some sort of awareness of the unseen and the mysterious then I definitely have it.)

Beyond saying it's voodoo I have no freaken idea myself :D

This may help give you an idea about which one you are stronger in.

As for the rest, maybe Ti is coming into play?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't fret over functions test. Few people test in the "right" order.

Besides my top two functions (Fi Ne), I test higher on Ni and Ti than any others, and INFPs aren't supposed to have a high use of those functions (and I don't think I do - I just test that way). The test associates certain thinking & behavior with certain functions, which means a person can test high on a function because they feel they use those skills or have that mindset, but that doesn't mean they have that function.

I think cognitive function tests can be useful for determining your top 2 functions, but a lot of the time, they just confuse people more. If you take an MBTI test, a functions test, read profiles, read function descriptions, & do some honest self-analysis, then the overall view from that collected info is the best way to decide, IMO. Don't get stuck on too many details, basically.

Your description overall sounds Fe. If you feel you are INFJ, then it's likely you have very limited use of Fi.