• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Delayed lessons, connecting the dots.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
In the summer of 2005 I was fortunate enough to spend in China with my girlfriend of the time and her family. They took me under their wing and showed me all around Szechuan from Jin Li square in Chengdu to Le Shan mountains Buddhist retreat. It was an experience I have yet to surpass. The trip while mind expanding was also heart expanding. The purpose of this story isn’t to tell of my trip details and destinations, its to tell a simple lesson I learned partially in China, then through bits and pieces over the next few years as the message filtered its way through time and space.

One portion of China I saw was a Buddhist temple location in a very poor rural area known to the locals as the “Green Dragon”. The day was hot and overcast, Szechuan is always hot and overcast because of its mountainous boundaries. Our Lexus, scented with fine lily perfume made on the streets near the American Consulate rolled up into a street filled with young children and girls and old parents, open sewage bisected the road, and the people lived in what we in the U.S. would dare to call poverty. I wouldn’t call it poverty, more like desolation. We pulled up to a girl wearing a white men's t shirt, our driver, my girlfriends father asks in his harsh sounding chengdu-nese dialect, where is the Green Dragon Temple?

She replied by grunting something with a sly look as she squinted through the window at me, then pointed to the north. I could see a tuft of black armpit hair reaching out from her shirt, “we’re not in Maple Syrup Land anymore” I think to myself.

We drove off, and I saw her shrinking into the distance behind us in a yellow mustard cloud of red soil as we peeled away. We were nearly 5 minutes away Yang says, 5 minutes until my life took a twist.

We parked around the corner from a concrete building, very state looking construction, plane, lifeless and gray. Then I noticed a large set of pillars which formed a gate. The gate had ten foot high concrete walls extending from its sides that hugged the entire temple grounds. Inside of the walls it was the most zen, and peaceful experience one could imagine. I lit candles and incense and prayed for guidance and wisdom. Little did I know how prophetic those prayers would be.

When our visit was concluded we left, outside of the gates there were many many people, lepers, the sick and the starving. And they were begging for money from the rich tourists leaving the temple. A boy approached me with a small cup with some loose coin and a folded note, my instinct was to give, give them the money that I didn’t care about that sat idle in my pocket, more then enough to feed the whole lot. As I reached into my pocket my friends pulled me away and insisted it was just a scam, its only a scam, don’t give them anything. They’re scum.

I was given wisdom, I saw true suffering, I was given a test to guide me. And I listened to my friends and I shuffled passed them and I hopped into the car and we drove away. Each dip in the road made me feel nauseous, my chest was heavy and my heart ached with each beat, I felt warm liquid on my cheeks, I was crying, my body was aching for the wrong I had done. I turned my back on my fellow man that which I swore I would never do to myself. I broke my own heart.

During my trip through the temple I had purchased a few wooden bead bracelets that were supposedly blessed. I took them as a symbol or a memento so I could never forget. But I had a long road to travel yet, the message effected me through subconscious pain and guilt, I felt ashamed for being so closed off to the suffering of others, so I wore one of the bracelets to mark that shame to myself. The lesson manifest physically.

Some time later…

Fast forward a few years, the bracelet is mostly gone, Its lost somewhere in the 2 or 3 moves I did from apartment to apartment. If fate had wove this tale, then it has done so with a sense of irony, because during this time that the bracelet was lost, I was free falling, from breaking up out of an 8 year relationship to losing my home, to hating my job, to becoming angry and desperate. I made a stone of my heart and no lessons got through.

Early in 2010 things began to change for me. I lost touch with the hard shell I was wearing as I noticed it was driving away my family and friends. This hurt so I undertook a massive level of introspection and came to some conclusions. I concluded that I could only ever be myself. I cannot be the cool and calculated person I tried to be, it wasn’t real to myself and I grew deeper and deeper into a depression. After I concluded that I could no longer live a lie, and that I was always going to just be that sensitive kid who wanted everyone to get along and to be happy. And that I had to take that form of myself and mature it into a viable lifestyle. Things turned around.

People from the past have come to me, opportunities have been given to me, when I opened my heart, all frequencies, the universe began to speak to me. Event after event, situation after situation, I see the connections between us all. Maybe we are all electrified impulses in a greater beings head, but we are all the same, all connected. And because of that connection and because I was open to know it and to hear the truth, the message came to me. Bring love wherever you go, love is the wellspring from which life flows, we must cultivate life and guard it. Days after this realization the bracelet reappears from nowhere. I literally found it in a drawer I swear I never put it in. I began to wear it and the significance of the lesson back in China remained.

1 week ago:

Alan and I decided it would be a good idea to get buzzed up and walk around Manhattan. The Belgian Bar BXL, Aramark office, all around we went. This day was strange, there was snowfall in the air but it wasn’t snowing really, but there was a metallic and electric flavor to the air. I wasn’t cold, but I felt cool and as though I was adrift in the winds as we walked. I knew that night was going to be special.

I had been wearing my bracelet for a month at this point. It had a deep significance as I now fully understood the message and why I wore it. As Alan and I walked around Manhattan at night late the city was very welcoming but also in great pain. I could feel it. One corner we turned and an old black man came to me. His eyes were yellow and his beard was gray and black, his coat was tattered and his voice was low and soft. “can you help me man?” Alan gave me a sideways glance and kept walking on, my instinct was to follow him… but my feet were rooted there on the ground and I turned to face him. I reached into my pocket and its when I made the connection. “my bracelet is missing”. It was gone, I had wore it all day and I last remembered seeing it on the train when we drove into Manhattan, but now, it was just gone. That absence made me think, bracelet… bracelet, China… It was the universe tapping me on the shoulder again. I then came to realize, this is the final exam, I failed my 1st test, and now here, years away on the other side of the planet, the same token I took from China my cheat sheet, reminded me of the lesson I had already learned.

“I cant make the same mistake again” I say to Alan, his eyes lock mine and he nods his head. I hand the old man a few dollars, he doesn’t smile, he doesn’t say “bless me” he stares right in my eyes and says “Thank you”. I passed, and a weight feels lifted from my back. I feel my eyes welling up and I feel like its ok that the bracelet is gone, it served its purpose and now it has faded into history to effect someone else life. I am free of my pain and I have concluded that my life has been half full for too long.

We must tap into our higher selves. Only through connecting to one and other and spreading real genuine love and caring can we balance the tides and win the fight for mankind's soul. Talent and gifts are abound in all of us, how many times have I used my intellect, my cunning, my physical strength, my beauty as a tool to enrich myself at the cost of someone else?

Gifts are meant to be shared, and I am done being the fat kid at the party. The universe takes care of its own, you get what you need, when you need it, and then we die when the lessons are learned. We cannot ever know the true nature of the cosmos, that’s not the point of life. We have been put here into the 3rd dimension to do 3rd dimensional things, that means we life and work in a world of material, and it is through this matter that we must prove our rights to exist through charity, understanding and self awareness.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wrote this a couple months ago, I thought I would share it here. Just tossing that out there in case the idea of it snowing in part of the story doesn't align with our present weather, its because this was in Feb.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
thanks for telling your story. it was powerful.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i've also experienced similar things...

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you, what have you experienced?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow...impressive. Seriously. Your story is very touching, and you really have a great deal of insight to offer. It would be interesting to read more of your impressions. :wubbie:

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Wow...impressive. Seriously. Your story is very touching, and you really have a great deal of insight to offer. It would be interesting to read more of your impressions. :wubbie:

Thank you for that compliment. :)

I look forward to writing more now that I have real stuff to write about. Much of this is still on-going this sort of re-awakening to my true self. Its quite beautiful actually. my eyes welled up with tears proofreading this 3 times, heh so its pretty authentic stuff from my heart, I just hope that it has a positive impact as I begin to share these stories with people.

Like start a flow of love and positive energy and send it downstream and let someone else pick it up. Spread love ya kno?

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
you know... the weirdest thing is that i can't remember any of those times i've felt like i've "learned a lesson" now. i remember feeling that way, though. it's like... aah... thank you.

it's the weirdest thing, because it can sort of make you agitated... kind of like... you feel you need to do more and "spread the message"... but it's not easy.

i've found that it's very hard to be kind.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
you know... the weirdest thing is that i can't remember any of those times i've felt like i've "learned a lesson" now. i remember feeling that way, though. it's like... aah... thank you.

it's the weirdest thing, because it can sort of make you agitated... kind of like... you feel you need to do more and "spread the message"... but it's not easy.

I've found that it's very hard to be kind.

Some lessons don't appear relevant up front and have to sit in queue until you are ready to understand them. I am learning that every day.

How come you find it difficult to be kind?

Sometimes as introverts its probably hard to put ourselves out there because we don't know how people will react and that's kind of scary... but I am seeing every day that if you just break through that comfort zone of not doing into doing it gets easier and easier and easier. I am still struggling with it myself, but I have a lot of positive energy to spread and I refuse to allow my internal safety devices to stop that mission from happening.

I am still confused tho as to why it would be hard to be kind can you elaborate?

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i don't know. i feel defenseless. i mean, i am kind enough, but not as kind as i would like to be. i mean... that even though i feel like i have something in my heart that's valuable, it doesn't mean that it's for other people. now that i read that, probably doesn't make sense.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
i don't know. i feel defenseless. i mean, i am kind enough, but not as kind as i would like to be. i mean... that even though i feel like i have something in my heart that's valuable, it doesn't mean that it's for other people. now that i read that, probably doesn't make sense.

It makes sense in a very introverted feeling way. Something I struggle with, my Fe is nuts, and wants to constantly do things to fix people and make people feel better so I can better understand my own feelings.

Its not so bad right now that I have gotten myself back and centered and I am not using my talents for selfish reasons quite so much, but before that you would have called me an uber asshole because I used Fe like a weapon.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

The selfishness part does sound like Fi and I don't mean selfishness in an inconsiderate way. The assumption here is that everyone is selfish and have their own self-interests. You feel that you have something you value but others might not share the same value.

And you're not imposing your values on others, which is actually a good thing. Of course, it tends to make Fi-doms seem unassertive because they don't enjoy sharing their opinions if it feels like they are imposing their values on others.

Example : I don't smoke but I'm not going to urge everyone I know to stop smoking because it offends my values or something. But blow smoke in my face or that of children too many times and watch me snap :tongue:

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
The selfishness part does sound like Fi and I don't mean selfishness in an inconsiderate way. The assumption here is that everyone is selfish and have their own self-interests. You feel that you have something you value but others might not share the same value.

And you're not imposing your values on others, which is actually a good thing. Of course, it tends to make Fi-doms seem unassertive because they don't enjoy sharing their opinions if it feels like they are imposing their values on others.

Example : I don't smoke but I'm not going to urge everyone I know to stop smoking because it offends my values or something. But blow smoke in my face or that of children too many times and watch me snap :tongue:

Haaa true, my Fe makes me want to start up anti smoking campaigns!

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4

they don't enjoy sharing their opinions if it feels like they are imposing their values on others.

exactly! how could you understand that? :shock:

Virulence

MBTI Type
INFJ
I got a $100 bill from a friend of mine for my birthday in 2006, when I lived in Arizona. I kept it in my wallet for a few weeks, and near Christmas (a day or two before or after, I don't recall, exactly) I decided I wanted to finally go spend it and buy myself something nice, but I had no idea what I wanted. I figured I'd go to the mall, browse around and find something. I left my apartment and took a different route than I normally would, walking to a different bus station so I wouldn't need to wait as long at the bus stop.

On the way there, I encountered a middle-aged black man pushing a wheelchair with an aged, tired-looking white woman in it. They approached me, I said hello, and then the man proceeded to explain how they were recently evicted from their apartment after he lost his job and had a hard time finding a new one. They needed to stay in a hotel for one night, as they were going to fly to stay with family the next day, but they couldn't afford a room. He was very sincere, very stressed and he seemed very worried that they'd have to sleep out on the street for another night. There was a Holiday Inn a few blocks away, and I knew how much a room was since a friend of mine had stayed there once. He asked if I had anything to spare. I pulled out my wallet and looked inside - I had a twenty, a few smaller bills, and then the hundred dollar bill I had gotten as a gift. I pulled out the $100 bill and handed it to him. His face lit up with one of the brightest smiles I had ever seen, and he hugged me tightly, thanking me over and over. I said, "You're welcome. Merry Christmas," and then we went on our separate ways. I just went back to my apartment - I knew I had spent that money well, and gotten myself something nice, after all.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Billy your story is beautiful.

Thank you. :)

Sadly there are complexities of emotion that language is not adequate enough to put across in a way that is understandable outside of my own head, but it has been an eye opening and breath taking thing to behold. I like spreading this story around too, the feedback i get from it is usually very very good.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum with things as such.

If I see a panhandler, I'll ask them for a quarter. Explaining I want to get a candy bar, but a candy bar doesn't meet the minimum purchase requirement for a debit card. So there I am, leaning out the window of a Mercedes sports coupe asking for a quarter, so I can get a Mr. Goodbar. :yes:

If I see one headed toward me on the street, I'll make up a cheesy story about needing a bus ticket. Being stranded ect. could you help me out with $75 bucks. Or suggest we should team up. Yeah, I'm going straight to hell. :devil:

But I'm having a good time. :moodeath: