• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] changing from infp to enfp

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
is it possible to start out as an infp child and grow into an enfp?

I know this means the switching order of functions, but I was reading my high school diary and I am quite sure I was infp. My fi was all over the place without a ton of Ne burdening my thoughts and I used to need time to re charge after being with people. I used to not want to hang out with people everyday.

Now I NEED people & interaction and such and I definitely use Ne a bit more than Fi... but is it possible I was once an infp who grew into an enfp or was I just an extremely quiet and potentially unhealthy enfp?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ENFPs can need time to recharge after lots of social interaction. I sure do. As for your diary, if you were talking about emotions it's easy to understand why it would be more Fi and more focused (less Ne) since you were talking about particular experiences or dreams or whatever.

I've never hanged out with people everyday. In fact when I was younger I didn't even hang out with anyone outside of school aside from a couple of times.

I doubt many ENFPs were as much of a loner as I was/(have been) and I'm definitely still E. I just lived off of videogames and movies and books and internet and the like. External stimulation you can get inside your very own room.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an ENFJ. I have always been an ENFJ. I may turn into an INFJ when I learn to stop talking.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
type doesent change even if you learn to use your secondary function well and see that most situations are handled easier by using the second function. its pretty common at least for males that infp gets more extroverted in early 20's

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
type doesent change even if you learn to use your secondary function well and see that most situations are handled easier by using the second function

This is true too. I have a ridiculously high Fi (almost if not as strong as my Ne) and I'm still very much an E (although I could fool people sometimes).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe you were going through a phase in your life where Fi was really starting to kick in.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Maybe you were going through a phase in your life where Fi was really starting to kick in.

this seems very possible

I was also a whiny angsty teenage girl who didnt have the patience to write down all her ideas when she was so very obsessed with who sat next to her in the pep rally and how that made her feel lol

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am a consistent ENFP but have typed as at least 3 or 4 other personalities before arriving at this conclusion. My first experience with the MBTI was in high school where I typed as an INFP. Looking back it makes perfect sense why I was INFP. I was 50/50 on everything except for a strong suggestion of N over S. I liked my type back then and felt it was rather accurate. The next times I did the survey I got consistent Extroversion. I do recall feeling that my survey results were useful but not convincing and did more research and asked the right questions to get to where I am.

In high school I had a rapport with anyone but was close friends with no one (all my very good friends had gone to "alternative" high schools or were homeschooled), except for friends I sought out in other cities via the internet. I have always reached out to people but it was hard to notice so much with the raging teenage Fi and feeling so isolated in my physical environment. Being on the computer doesn't seem like a social activity.. ;) I am also a very intellectual person so being wrapped up in my head a lot it was hard to see how that could qualify as Extroversion or even Feeling. Eventually it all came together :D

INFPs are near and dear to me, I communicate with that type more naturally than most others because I dearly cherish my NFPness. Introversion has a huge role in my life as an ENFP and in the quiet solitude of my mind I sometimes still am INFP. I am enamored with the healing qualities.. :heart:

sculpting

As a kid I would have typed as an INFP but really was more of some sort of weird INFJ shadow.

As a young adult i would have typed as an ENTP-without being quite that clever :)

At about 27 my enfp started sneaking out in terms of Ne silliness. I'd say Fi? Well the last two years maybe.

Always really an ENFP-Just a really messed up one.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
type doesent change even if you learn to use your secondary function well and see that most situations are handled easier by using the second function. its pretty common at least for males that infp gets more extroverted in early 20's

I totally agree.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
is it possible to start out as an infp child and grow into an enfp?

I know this means the switching order of functions, but I was reading my high school diary and I am quite sure I was infp. My fi was all over the place without a ton of Ne burdening my thoughts and I used to need time to re charge after being with people. I used to not want to hang out with people everyday.

Now I NEED people & interaction and such and I definitely use Ne a bit more than Fi... but is it possible I was once an infp who grew into an enfp or was I just an extremely quiet and potentially unhealthy enfp?

Hmmm... you could just be developing your Ne even though you're Fi dominant. There was a time when I was obsessed with the meaning of life, and death, psychoanalysis, and a lot of Fi-heavy subjects. I was still ENFP, but I was developing my Fi function. As for the need to be with people, or your former quietness, those don't really say much about your cognitive processes. I've been all over the social/non-social spectrum, and am always ENFP.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Now I'm questioning my I-ness v.s E-ness

are there any sure fire ways to tell? Im quite sure i'm an enfp, but id like to confirm this and do-away with this infp possibility if possibleee

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This was really hard for me, too. I actually thought I was INFP at first, but I've been told repeatedly IRL that I'm an extrovert even though I need to spend plenty of time alone. Also, going into Vent here, people reinforced the opinion that there's basically no way in hell I'm an introvert. I don't act INFP IRL, I guess, even if I come across that way sometimes in writing. I actually identify a lot more with overall descriptions of ENFP vs. INFP...it's mostly that I'm not extremely extroverted, and that may be why it was difficult for me to self-type.

I will say that I've been told that I vs. E is the least important distinction in type.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Now I'm questioning my I-ness v.s E-ness

are there any sure fire ways to tell? Im quite sure i'm an enfp, but id like to confirm this and do-away with this infp possibility if possibleee

Well, not really sure-fire, but my rule-of-thumb is whether you feel energized or drained when in a group of people in a social setting. Note that it's not about whether you enjoy being in a group. Anyone can enjoy group activity if it's something they are passionate about. It's about whether you get tired easily or you feel energized by the interaction.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well, not really sure-fire, but my rule-of-thumb is whether you feel energized or drained when in a group of people in a social setting. Note that it's not about whether you enjoy being in a group. Anyone can enjoy group activity if it's something they are passionate about. It's about whether you get tired easily or you feel energized by the interaction.

WHILE in it. Not after it like some type questions ask. I feel drained a lot of the time when I just left a party. I even feel drained sometimes when I'm AT a party.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
oh I never feel drained IN social situations unless the people are assholes lol

i definitely thrive off positive interactions and get a bit stir crazy if left alone for a long time

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ENFPs can need time to recharge after lots of social interaction. I sure do. As for your diary, if you were talking about emotions it's easy to understand why it would be more Fi and more focused (less Ne) since you were talking about particular experiences or dreams or whatever.

I've never hanged out with people everyday. In fact when I was younger I didn't even hang out with anyone outside of school aside from a couple of times.

I doubt many ENFPs were as much of a loner as I was/(have been) and I'm definitely still E. I just lived off of videogames and movies and books and internet and the like. External stimulation you can get inside your very own room.

:yes:

I pride mysef in being very engaged in and by others. This can take a lot of of me though and peaceful recharge is essential. I like to proactively balance my information in-take & sorting. Take a lot of info in very fast, follow it up with a meditative time to understand what I've learned.

I liked befriending characters in books ;)

I almost always enjoyed spending time with others, but I went through more or less social phases (depending on my new interests or other kids being easy-going/cliquey that year). I was also very good at entertaining myself, and I think probably had certain games I played with only me (to get all my kid weirdness out without being judged).