• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Need to Fi

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
do you think the streams are our emotional impulses, but the lake is the core where they're coming from... that's sort of what i was getting at with the core values... but it's not just the values, but everything that affects our emotional impulses?

Sort of, but you're labeling too much again, in the context of the imagery.

The streams might be regarded as established connections with other people, or perhaps "leaks" in which one is unconsciously expressing whatever is going on in the vast reservoir of Fi. I don't want to get too specific though, because that would inhibit your own self-exploration. If I try and point at Fi, you'll pay too much attention to my hand and fingers, and not what I'm pointing at. If I try to explain Fi, you'll pay too much attention to my words and labels, and not the subject I'm trying to explain.

gromit

likes this
I like this imagery. Especially this seems to describe a lot of problems I encounter.

Fi has a bad reaction to "polluted Fe streams" coming in and diminishing the purity of the lake.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Sort of, but you're labeling too much again, in the context of the imagery.

The streams might be regarded as established connections with other people, or perhaps "leaks" in which one is unconsciously expressing whatever is going on in the vast reservoir of Fi. I don't want to get too specific though, because that would inhibit your own self-exploration. If I try and point at Fi, you'll pay too much attention to my hand and fingers, and not what I'm pointing at. If I try to explain Fi, you'll pay too much attention to my words and labels, and not the subject I'm trying to explain.

i think i understand.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
do you think the streams are our emotional impulses, but the lake is the core where they're coming from... that's sort of what i was getting at with the core values... but it's not just the values, but everything that affects our emotional impulses?

keeping with the streams thing, i think i would have to say in Fe's instance it would flow both ways. In and out of the lake. And its all the emotional energy, not just values.

When I Fe, it goes both ways, my intention and my goals flowing out, other peoples feelings flowing into my lake. I like this metaphor, when a stream dumps into a lake it obfuscates the source of the lake which comes from underground springs. This is my major problem... peoples feelings affect me, I am like a sponge, i suck it all in and analyze it, but I also mainline empathize with it and it affects my mood.

I do need to get in touch with the source of my lake, which sadly is very very deep but has entirely too many streams dumping into it, and at the same time its dumping it own waters into other lakes via the streams. All this makes it much harder for me to figure out what I think and feel.

hence the source of my frustration.

But I am trying to get to the root of the situation. Our lakes, are they always there, are they monolithic? Or did someone teach them to us? (dredge the hole and let the water collect from various sources?

If thats the case, I should theoretically be able to choose my own dredging company and let my waters flow into that hole, sure it would have required outside assistance but at the same time its really the only way I think I can process. The trick is to make sure its consistent with the muddy little waters that were in the hole to begin with.

I need some sort of PH tester.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
haha... yeah... i think some of it is probably there to begin with, like biology and what evolution has taught us... and the rest is experience...

i think the lake has to be protected, so that too much doesn't come out and too much in, but still used.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Funny enough I had been terrified of my detached nature, if anything I am extremely Ni, that describes how i think perfectly, im constantly thinking in abstract terms, blowing up 100000000000000000s of possibilities and boiling them down to an answer. Now on one level I am also very rational and very logical, especially for an F. But I notice that what means more to me is that the F is protected and respected, I would rather die in battle for love or a cause to be consistent with myself then to run away and live, which would be much more logical, although the way I arrive at that conclusion is through logic... I make an assessment of what matters more to me, the cause or my safety. I usually delve into the cause because its the meaning that means more to me then the logical consistency of the situation. Which is weird because its all shrink wrapped in logic...

Thus I know I have some Fi, some... not tons which is why I fall back on my thinking capabilities to sort of justify things.

Thats why I know I am not an INTJ and I am an INFJ, and I am right now dating an INTJ female, and we have the same Ni nature, and she has feelings and she uses feelings to decide how she wants to decide what would be best for her, but then applies it completely logically and via systems and strategy.

I envy her Fi because she knows where she stands on everything, but she fails so bad at figuring out what other people feel. She can figure what they're thinking and their intentions but it has this sort of logic twist to it by comparing things on a more strategic scale, whereas I would just tap into their head and figure out what they're feeling and why they're feeling it and then apply my own actions to soothe, fix, help, etc.

I only say this because for a while my Ni nature had me fooled into thinking I was actually a T over an F, but now that I am really realizing the nature of Fe vs Fi, its becoming much clearer to me that I am Ni Fe, not Ni Te... its pretty fascinating to see how the difference between an F and T with Ni dominance can be, its quite fascinating indeed.

But now that I am garnering that level of clarity I am looking for ways to sort of grow past this stalemate. I do appreciate everything everyone is saying though.

The trick is since I dont Fi automatically I cant just focus on what I feel about things those feelings just arent developed in that way...

It would be interesting to talk to some other INFJs, esp INFJ males who have conquered this problem already. My logic wasn't to build a system to solve this puzzle, which is why i'm here.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
INTJs are a tough type for me to figure out. that's why i'm interested in their opinions, because i have no idea what goes on in their brain. it appears that they don't know what they're feeling, but maybe it's me who doesn't know what i'm feeling... i certainly have no idea what they're feeling. i might think i do... and i might even go on to say that i've been right a few times... but maybe i'm just wrong in reading them that way.

i'm always on edge when interacting with them. i feel *responsible*. i don't know what it is. maybe i should just stay away from them. i don't want to pollute their lakes :D

and then again... they can annoy me and intrique me, but i don't wanna mess them up!

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
keeping with the streams thing, i think i would have to say in Fe's instance it would flow both ways. In and out of the lake. And its all the emotional energy, not just values.
Yes. :yes:

When I Fe, it goes both ways, my intention and my goals flowing out, other peoples feelings flowing into my lake. I like this metaphor, when a stream dumps into a lake it obfuscates the source of the lake which comes from underground springs. This is my major problem... peoples feelings affect me, I am like a sponge, i suck it all in and analyze it, but I also mainline empathize with it and it affects my mood.
You got it. Your mood is the lake, turbulent with everyone else's energies.

That's why "strong Fi" people often try to protect the lake, cut off or limit flows from the streams ... no streams or streams only flowing out, not in.

You are so on the Fe side of F, blocking off the streams seems wrong, but then you don't know what to do with your lake.

I do need to get in touch with the source of my lake, which sadly is very very deep but has entirely too many streams dumping into it, and at the same time its dumping it own waters into other lakes via the streams. All this makes it much harder for me to figure out what I think and feel.

hence the source of my frustration.
Yes. :yes:

Hence the quiet time and isolation. It is introverted feeling, after all. :)

But I am trying to get to the root of the situation. Our lakes, are they always there, are they monolithic? Or did someone teach them to us? (dredge the hole and let the water collect from various sources?
Explore your own lake, and find out. No one else can.

If thats the case, I should theoretically be able to choose my own dredging company and let my waters flow into that hole, sure it would have required outside assistance but at the same time its really the only way I think I can process. The trick is to make sure its consistent with the muddy little waters that were in the hole to begin with.

I need some sort of PH tester.

At this point, I think you're trying to treat your lake like a stream, and not a lake. With the streams, you get to control them to a large degree. That's the "Fe" ability. Fi is bass-ackwards from that. You don't "control the lake," you "understand the lake." Your lake isn't shallow, you just haven't explored its depths, yet.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTJs are a tough type for me to figure out. that's why i'm interested in their opinions, because i have no idea what goes on in their brain. it appears that they don't know what they're feeling, but maybe it's me who doesn't know what i'm feeling... i certainly have no idea what they're feeling. i might think i do... and i might even go on to say that i've been right a few times... but maybe i'm just wrong in reading them that way.
I remember a dialog from some movie or TV show or book. It went something like this:
Him: I wish I knew what women wanted.
Her: Oh, I can tell you that.
Him: REALLY?! Tell me!
Her: We don't know what we want.
Him: Oh. I was afraid it was something like that.
Most times INTJs are not in touch with their feelings. No, not even me: I explore Fi, but I don't live in Fi. So the reason you don't know what they feel is that they don't, either. Asking them what they feel will tend to flummox them, unless it's a rote thing like saying "I love you."

i'm always on edge when interacting with them. i feel *responsible*. i don't know what it is. maybe i should just stay away from them. i don't want to pollute their lakes :D

and then again... they can annoy me and intrique me, but i don't wanna mess them up!
Then that means you're the ideal person to get to know them: respect them for who they are, and you'll eventually get to visit their lakes ... or perhaps you might be privileged enough to show them around their own lake that they'd never explored before.

Yeah, it's touch and go. The emotions are raw. Just be gentle. They're immune to everything emotional except that which they invite in.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

i find them incredibly intriguing, we come from the same place, Ni, which is really incredible because it makes my mental connection to them intense and powerful because we see things in the same light at our cores. We diverge from there though and those differences are good. For example my girl Meaghan, total INTJ, where I come up short in life, Te she is there to pick up my slack and help me accomplish my visions in a structured and realistic way in the real world. She is my anchor essentially to reality. On the other hand, she is almost entirely reality driven and sometimes she wont see ALL of the big picture, dont get me wrong she is massively intuitive, but she cant always draw the meaning from a situation, she can draw the logic from it, but maybe not the spiritual meanings, thats where I excel. So apart:

Billy: Aloof, head in the clouds, too future oriented, very gooey emotionally, looking to smooth out all the rough edges of life and bring peace, meaning and harmony to all, but completely lacking in bringing peace to myself and making sure my day to day needs are met properly. Couldnt balance a checkbook if I tried, I give too much of my money away.

Meaghan: Calculated precision, highly intelligent (she nailed a 1560 on her SATs, not that that makes her smart, she just understands systems and how things work logically) Its all backed by her intuition which gives her the answers, but she gets frustrated because she doesn't know how to deal with other people, when someone is crying she feels distressed because she is unequipped to deal with their problems unless they are anchored in reality, like money or some sort of physical needs problem. She tends to be a little self focused, and career focused because thats what she excels at, but she is a good person and she knows how, and why she feels the way she does. Even if she cannot express it well. She tends to be neurotic because of her Ni, but she handles it well.

Meaghan + Billy = seriously powerful combination. Her strengths + my strengths = calculated precision and intellectual consistency with an understanding of emotional states and a powerful vision for harmonious improvement of the relationship. That we are both Ni dominated individuals allows us a great depth of understanding and seeing multiple possibilities from a shitload of angles.

I need her Fi and Te to anchor me in place so I can utilize my Fe and Ti to keep us on track and to elevate us both in a healthy way. She takes care of the logical stuff, I nurture our relationship and challenge her to think more spiritually (read: not god or religion).

I find her very very easy to read because she is very up front with who and what she is, this in turn makes me want to disclose my innermost-ness to her which helps me to figure out what it is I am feeling internally. (Fi)

Basically we just trade Fi for Fe with each other.

She sees through my bullshit too, no one else does, so I dont feel a need to protect myself because she just "gets it" even if she doesnt know what to do with it lol...

Ah I dunno I am rambling now, LOVE INTJ's.:wubbie:

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i have no idea what you guys are talking about, lol. i always rely on my intuition with feelings and i think i usually get it right... at times i am blinded by my own feelings, but as i examine them, i usually manage to figure them out... to an extent, at least.

i don't get it... if INTJs are so in touch with their own feelings, how can they be so blind to other people's? if their own feelings are so important to them, why aren't other people's?

or are they, but they just don't show it? what is important to an INTJ?

i am just trying to figure out how to get along with a friend.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
ok, i posted that before your responses, so i think i get it now.

i just wish to know how i should be with an INTJ not to mess them up? if i feel like i intuively know what they are feeling, should i just keep it to myself and act accordingly?

what do i do when i know an INTJ trusts me?

how do i know that they know i love them?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hahahah!

This is kind of hijacking Billy's thread, but I'll answer anyway.

i just wish to know how i should be with an INTJ not to mess them up? if i feel like i intuively know what they are feeling, should i just keep it to myself and act accordingly?
Be yourself.

Be yourself.
Tell him point blank that you love him. Rest assured that he will know (or rather, assume) that you love him, thereafter, absent any obvious changes (like leaving him).

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Yeah, it's touch and go. The emotions are raw. Just be gentle. They're immune to everything emotional except that which they invite in.

This is so true, and we're not used at all to operating the sluice gates to stay with the lake metaphor. Highly likely to result in flooding or a drained lake.

Also - connection with inviting in vampires. :p

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
hahah! yeah, i'm sorry for hijacking the thread billy!!

i'm just afraid that i will hurt this person, but i'll try to be myself and keep my streams in check, haha.

good luck with exploring your lake b. :)

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
i have no idea what you guys are talking about, lol. i always rely on my intuition with feelings and i think i usually get it right... at times i am blinded by my own feelings, but as i examine them, i usually manage to figure them out... to an extent, at least.

i don't get it... if INTJs are so in touch with their own feelings, how can they be so blind to other people's? if their own feelings are so important to them, why aren't other people's?

or are they, but they just don't show it? what is important to an INTJ?

i am just trying to figure out how to get along with a friend.

From what I have seen they value consistency of thought and actions over most stuff... also remember that my girl is still a girl... so she will probably be more emotionally inclined because of genetics, and social norms anyway. INTJ males I know tend to be a little more logical.

I am not saying theyre in touch with thier emotions, im just saying that they tend to know what they want. For me thats a pretty major thing... I need to proxy what I want through other people.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How does this work?

For me my maps and understanding are created through others. I enjoy this with this person. This person can get me to let go, this person can get my to open up, this person can create this drive in me, this person causes me to face my fears, this person can make me think. Its like a proxy.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

Follow their actions. See what they do. If an INTJ doesnt want to be around you outside of circumstances they wont be. Thier actions speaks louder then words, and in turn I find that they accept actions over words better.

Language is a monumental failure at conveying the complexities of emotion, sometimes only action will suffice.

Knowing that, also realize that INTJs are introverts, they need space at times too.