User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Extraverted Sensing and Introverted Sensing - Se vs Si

You know what, I'm going to go ahead and say an extraverted judging process would be nothing without an extraverted perceiving process along for the ride.

Or maybe I should limit the claim to Se as used in NTJs and NFJs: both Te and Fe would be nothing without Se along for the ride. Both Fe and Te reach out into the world, but, to use a metaphor, you can't reach without fingers and arms.

Sure, Ni gives you lots to do by yourself, but without the Se in the mix as well, nothing would come to nothing.

I don't know exactly why I think this, but I do think it. Something about how if you don't have a sensing process somewhere in your makeup, then you would never find yourself in your own body or in the world.

It's the S is all of us that means we are, in a concrete real sense, here. Present. Alive. Part of the world.

Senior Member Array something boring's Avatar

I agree. Se gives you the tangible facts of the data. Ni gives you the overview, but Se gives hard science, metaphorically speaking. I think that Fe is relatively ineffective when Se is underdeveloped. Then again, this is just my understanding of it. What do I know?
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I'm having such a problem understanding this (go figure -- as the whole issue of Sensing is like speaking Swahili at me). Sensing is supposed to be my tertiary function, but it is by far the weakest leg holding up my table. Introverted Thinking is fourth process, but is stronger than my tertiary. I have no idea why that would be. And why would Sensing be a tertiary function when I know so many NFJs who GRAPPLE with the physical world?

I'll highlight what I relate to below:

*Se -- Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.

Being attracted to and/or distracted by changing external events. Adapting and changing your mind according to the situation. Focusing on facts. Asking lots of questions to get enough information to see the pattern. Going ahead and responding to raw data. Physical self-expression.

*Si -- (my deceiving shadow process) -- Recalling past experiences, remembering detailed data and what it is linked to.

Being heavily influenced by prior experiences. Distrusting new information that doesn't match. Assuming an understanding of a situation because it resembles a prior one. Focusing on facts and stored data. Giving lots of specific, sequential details about something. Rating and making comparison.

I don't seem to notice the world unless it's intruding on me or I'm actively paying attention. Being raised in violence and alcoholism surrounded by a terrible neighborhood has made me overly watchful, but it hasn't bolstered my ability to use what little I have of a Sensing function whatsoever. You'd think it would have. I'm starting to wonder (worry) that I have no connection to my Sensing side at all. My father is this way and he struggles.

Physical self-expression: I dress boldly, but I don't do well with, say, the romantic end of things because the minute I'm made aware of myself, I become too aware and I shut down. My sister is always asking me common sense questions or saying things like "When did you brush your hair?... yesterday?! Brush your hair!" or "Your pants have a hole in them. It's time for new ones" or "You're going to freeze. Put on a coat." Did I notice the hole in my pants? Probably not. Or if I did, I didn't think about it again. I don't notice the lawn needs to be mowed. Or the bills need to be paid. I have to concentrate really hard to remember that stuff, and to approach the physical realm as something other than scary or devouring or flabbergasting.

When a man/woman gives me a compliment, or tells me they think I'm beautiful, I turn into a block. I feel like I have no business drawing such a comment because I feel that divorced from the physical. You know, like an impostor. Not to say I'm awkward. I just NEVER get past being mystified when people notice me or when I'm magically NOT invisible.

My question is: Am I working off of my shadow more than I thought? can anyone PLEASE explain the Se and show me where it exerts any force on me at all?
    The tertiary function is an underhand.
    The complementary function is to be found on the other side of the pale.

It is a shadow function.

Whisky Old & Women Young Array Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I'm having such a problem understanding this (go figure -- as the whole issue of Sensing is like speaking Swahili at me). Sensing is supposed to be my tertiary function, but it is by far the weakest leg holding up my table. Introverted Thinking is fourth process, but is stronger than my tertiary. I have no idea why that would be.
    Maybe it's just that you're INFJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Maybe it's just that you're INFJ.
    That's exactly what I was thinking! That would make for a much simpler topic. Maybe too simple for Pink.

They say that you begin to truly develop your tertiary function around the age of 25 or 30 and that certainly is the case with me. Just a few months ago this board really changed my perspective on life for the good. There were just a lot of great topics that really clicked with me and helped me understand how the world works.

Now, I find that I'm using a function that I equate with Se all the time. Because Fe isn't so overburdened by the duties of dealing with the extroverted world I've become more bold in facing my world. I speak my mind a whole heck of a lot more. When something happens outside of me, my first thought is, "How do I feel now that this is going on/I know this?"

I now no longer pay as much attention to temporality, rarely looking at the clock/my watch if I don't have to work. I consult my own reactions and feelings when I have to make a decision and go with what I really want rather than following a schedule.

I find myself touching all over things to feel their texture. As I type, I'm noticing the feeling of the keys and the way they rebuff against my presses with a kind of pop. You don't have to notice everything in your environment to be experiencing Se, you just have to be attentive of what you ARE perceiving.

I tell ya, it's all quite wonderful. I find myself connecting with people that I never have and a much deeper level than I ever thought I would. My openness and frankness rather than being a source of conflict, is a window into who I am. I don't have to be completely closed-off and independent nor do I have to be ready for every situation that I face, I just need to get out there and face it!
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Also, I tend to feel invisible a lot as well, although in my case, I usually am. Sometimes I want to say something to someone, and I feel like I'm saying it, but they're not hearing it.
    Wow. If any infjs feel like this and can explain this kind of experience further I would be very interested! I have a relative who sometimes acts as if this is what is happening to her, however, from my point of view she is just imagining that we are not hearing her. It will happen during specific conversations. But also she goes through longer periods where she feels that we don't understand her. I always interpret it as a sign of stress, but don't understand exactly how it's working in her mind.