• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Broken hearted INFP?

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
So one of my really good friends broke up with her boyfriend of 2 1/2 years. It was her first (and she thought only) serious boyfriend. It came out of left field and she called me after it happened. I picked her up, got her favorite ice cream, and let her cry on my shoulder for the rest of the night.

I just finished taking her home for the night and my question is: is there anything else I can do for this INFP? Or is just being there and letting her vent the best thing?

Just want to make sure I am providing as much help as I can.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know if infps work the same way...but for me dealing with it atm i just want to go out and have fun...but she may need a few weeks before she even feels like that...she may want to just talk and talk about all of the ways she feels...all of the dreams she's letting go...all the ways she wanted it to be and all the ways it wasn't...just lots of talking...getting feelings out...so just listen to her.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Awww! Okay that wasn't very masculine. Hmm, I meant to say: You're a helluva friend.

I think you have the right idea, listening and validating is the best thing you can do. I actually don't want to feel happy when bad things happen, I want to feel what I feel and maybe even amplify or cultivate the emotions to get that catharsis. SO being a good listener and being understanding is huge. Maybe just spend time with them so they don't feel as lonely, hugging can help if that is acceptable within the terms of whatever your relationship with this girl is. Reassurance is nice if it sounds sincere. You're a good friend, at any rate!

Sauropsidian

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can agree that I don't want to be happy either if something bad happens. Be there for her. Show that you care about her.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right yeah...i meant talk first and then maybe in a month or so get out and do stuff with her. :)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
right yeah...i meant talk first and then maybe in a month or so get out and do stuff with her. :)

Surrrrrrrrre you did. More like you were shocked into agreement by my astounding wisdom! :yes:

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I don't know if she was the same but, most INFPs get vented on A LOT. That being said When she is ready and if she wants to let her vent for how ever long she wants. also I know when I am sad, I don't like for people to help me "get better" i kinda have to find it myself.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Surrrrrrrrre you did. More like you were shocked into agreement by my astounding wisdom! :yes:

haha...don't argue with me! i'm going through the process too. it's important to talk and cry...then at some point talk and laugh.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
What has been my 'style': let me cry it out, once I begin to talk listen for feelings - if I'm not going there ask me about them, once I begin to try to come up with solutions/improvements ask if I want your ideas - once accepted then go for it. ---Really watch and make sure the feeling sorting happens before the fixing - there can be a temptation to avoid that bit if it's too painful

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
you're a good friend, OP.

i'm sure you'll find the right things to do by listening to your heart :) for me it's just important to know that someone is there, if i need them. i might want to talk for a while, cry to you, but then i might want to be alone to sort my head out. then i'd probably want to go out with a friend like you. :)

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
Aw thanks guys. :)

Shes an awesome girl and she called me and asked me to pick her up, which is an honor. She has a lot of friends who support her, she'll be fine. I assumed just letting her talk and cry it out was the best solution but never hurts to post a thread and get suggestions from other INFPs right?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
In my case.. All I really ask for when I am broken hearted with those I am close to is.. To have patience in understanding that we all grieve in our own ways and to try not to rush my healing process. To have enough courage in the friendship to know that I will be back, but for the time being the person you know and like/love is wounded and hiding. I haven't changed, my situation has, and I am reacting to it.. eventually I will feel like myself again.When that happens it would be cool if my friends were still my friends and happy to see me.

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
As an INFP, that boyfriend must have meant a whole lot to her. If it was unexpected, then it may take a while to heal, with her thinking "What did I do wrong?"
But she may take this as a learning experience, and grow stronger from it. If she really loved him, she may even try to win him back, apologizing for whatever
she could have done wrong. But, whether he comes back or reinforces the break up, it could lead to a constant loop, which I don't know much about....

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an INFP, that boyfriend must have meant a whole lot to her. If it was unexpected, then it may take a while to heal, with her thinking "What did I do wrong?"
But she may take this as a learning experience, and grow stronger from it. If she really loved him, she may even try to win him back, apologizing for whatever
she could have done wrong. But, whether he comes back or reinforces the break up, it could lead to a constant loop, which I don't know much about....

I'd be curious to learn how she/he is doing after six years of separation??? :smile: