• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Need for Human Contact/Touch

rogue1

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've discovered that I have a huge need for touch (as in non-sexual touch like hugs, etc). The problem is, I don't like being touched by just anyone. If I'm not close to a person, I don't necessarily want them touching me. But when it's a friend I'm close to, it means the world. :wubbie: I have a couple of friends who recognize this and occasionally hug me, etc. But sometimes when I'm sad, I just want someone to hold me (as childish as that sounds). I don't know how to ask for that. I have enough trouble asking for things like that because I was raised to believe that emotional needs aren't important. The friends who will do this are already always doing for others so I feel like I'm burdening them if I ask. I do things for them to give them a break and make them feel loved. There are so many times when I feel so alone but can't bring myself to ask for support without sounding like a whiny and needy person. It's not like I don't like being alone. I enjoy it and consider myself fairly independent. I had a friend tell me that because I don't ask for hardly anything from others because I'm afraid of their rejection, that my life is kind of bleak. :cry: I guess my question is, can anyone else relate to this dilemma? Or has anyone figured out the solution?

Love Languages Test

I am very much like that, and when I figured out that everyone has a love language "love tank" (so to speak) I found a part of me that was missing. Those needs are filled in a way we understand them, and we will usually try to love someone else with our love language style.
A friend of mine(Words of Affimation) was going through a hard time and so I(physical touch) tried to comfort him with hugs and stuff(it was nice but not what he really needed). Everything I said was a little hard and not very kind and I watched him wither inside. Thankfully I saw what I was trying to do and I changed it(as best as I could), to positive, kind, words. In one day his joy began to come back around.
This is a very neat relationship tool.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am like this as well, possibly it stems from having a rather cold family as a child. If i told anyone who knew me in person about this they would think i was kidding. I am a pretty large guy with a very masculine disposition for the most part.

I once thought that i was an INFJ that just ignored my emotions as a defense mechanism because of things like this.