• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Emotomancy

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have any of you ENFJs been told that you have the power to change the mood in a room?

I'm beginning to realize I have this power. Fe/Ni, well developed, lends itself to the ability to make others feel what you do.

(It's part and parcel the whole "ENFJs are 'manipulative'" bit. And we are. Unabashedly. Fi users should ask themselves what the intentions of the ENFJ are, and not be slaves to Fi. ENFJs should ask themselves if they are pushing their friends beyond their will...because once it gets to that point, and you aren't saving their lives, you are a baaaaaad Fe.)

Like for example, have you ever started a mob for change? I have. :D I'm particularly good with that one actually.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ENFPs can start mobs too. But only the cool guys are part of the mob, so they are smaller mobs.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
my ENFJ friend can totally change the mood in a room for me. she has a presence about her. i don't know what it is about her, but i always feel at ease in her presence. she is never demanding, or overbearing, but always in control of herself. she is also very loyal to me. a very good listener, but equally as good at voicing her own opinion. she's very independent, but caring and attentive at the same time... very openminded, as well. we can go for months without any contact, but pick it up from where we left of before.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Usually, i'm collected around others. If i am feeling down and don't have prep time before being around people, it could tear everyone's walls to shreds. That's only happened to me once with a very close/small group of friends.

As for positivity, i hang by the sidelines in neutral unless i am hosting something or a situation calls for a clap of the hands and a pep talk. It's not just making the effort to change the mood, but hitting the on switch in myself to let it radiate through freely.

Were i more secure with myself (that's a big part of it), i'd be more prone to mood-altering just due to being outgoing. The negative alterations would stay in check for the mostpart or be diminished on the whole. I've learned to back off from people in the meantime when i'm feeling negative.

Come Crispy, let us rule the world! Hmm.. or at least mood-control a group into dancing in the streets. :yes::wubbie:

Lightyear

I am wondering if INFJs have the same power but to a lesser degree since we have the whole Ni/Fe thing going on too. My mum told me that as a child I would calm down a tense atmosphere by simply entering the room and just sitting quietly in the corner and according to her I have still today a quality about me that in a quiet way naturally connects people and brings peace into a situation. (Unsurprisingly I am an Ennegramm 9w1.)

I can't remember ever having had any real enemies (though maybe some people might not have liked me very much but I can live with that) and in general resolving a conflict is far more important to me than being right (unless the other person is just off the charts annoying and unreasonable). I can immediately sense conflict in a room and will either try to resolve it by being kind, self-depreciating and generally spreading peace/calm vibes or if that is not possible and since I can feel conflict so strongly I might have to leave the room and regenerate somewhere else.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. I've destroyed/uplifted moods in a room without trying. I could slam the brakes on the entire garage when I was sick or deeply unhappy. It was mortifying. I was trying desperately to keep my problems to myself, but I didn't even have to open my mouth. When I changed the mood in the room, I wanted to melt into the floor, I was so embarrassed.

I remember one guy sitting next to me and asking me what was wrong (again to my mortification), and I asked him what made him believe something was wrong with me, and he said that I wasn't my usual self. I asked what that meant, and he said "perky/friendly/playful".

Ah.

I think this dubious power extends only to friends and family. They're aware of me and I'm aware of them. The awareness is important. I can't just walk into a room full of strangers and alter them. I don't have any special control over people beyond good people skills and a genuine interest in other human beings.

Lightyear

Have any of you ENFJs been told that you have the power to change the mood in a room?

I'm beginning to realize I have this power. Fe/Ni, well developed, lends itself to the ability to make others feel what you do.

(It's part and parcel the whole "ENFJs are 'manipulative'" bit. And we are. Unabashedly. Fi users should ask themselves what the intentions of the ENFJ are, and not be slaves to Fi. ENFJs should ask themselves if they are pushing their friends beyond their will...because once it gets to that point, and you aren't saving their lives, you are a baaaaaad Fe.)

Like for example, have you ever started a mob for change? I have. :D I'm particularly good with that one actually.

That also again makes me wonder if Obama is a major Fe user, aka ENFJ. From afar he doesn't look that impressive but once he is up on a podium he has the power to completely alter the mood of the audience. I remember reading somewhere that he has a gift to take away cynicism and spread idealism, which is quite an achievement considering how cynical our generation is.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That was my original assessment. He broods too much to be anything else. :)

And Domino half got it; so long as you can quickly create a sense of "unity" and/or "familiarity" you can emote a crowd. Otherwise they stop paying attention to you, and just think you're some idiot talking loudly on the microphone.

G

Glycerine

My ENFJ teacher had that ability. He could say the cheesiest "WTF" comments, but you just couldn't help from smiling whenever he talked. It seemed like pretty much everyone smiled when he talked (esp. the females). I have this really strong feeling that he was all too aware of that fact. It was like when people didn't seem very responsive, he gave off a disappointed vibe and say something slightly self-deprecating to deflect the awkwardness. To top it off, he was a really good looking older man so people would be quickly to react. He was such an impressive reader of people that it was creepy. It was quite a fascinating dynamic to watch.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I remember reading somewhere that he has a gift to take away cynicism and spread idealism, which is quite an achievement considering how cynical our generation is.

people also tend to salivate and cling to charismatic leaders in troubled times. And then of course there are still going to be the people who are cynical and view him with suspicion regardless of what he says.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This is all good if you change the mood to a happy one:yes:.. If you are just gonna bring people down (true story) Then keep it to yourselves.

G

Glycerine

^ oh trust me.... INFPs also have this ability but in a rather subtle way. ;) I knew an INFP that knew exactly how to depress everyone on a daily basis. He was one of the most fascinating men I've ever met but still oh so depressing. I was even semi-obsesessed w/ him (in the "he's quite amusing/interesting and you want to know what makes him tick but he's not that sexually attractive" way).

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i like obama. he's got the optimistically pessimistic thing going on :p

i'm all for that.