• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] What different kinds of INFJs do exist?

Lightyear

While going through the "Do you like your own type in other people?" thread I was thinking that there are certain types of INFJs that I get along very well with but that there are others which I find a bit more exhausting to deal with. As an Ennegramm 9 I find INFJ 4s sometimes too pessimistic and preoccupied with their emotions (I guess I prefer a bit of a lighter touch to balance my own INFJness out).

Also someone else mentioned in the thread that there seem to be all sorts of ENFPs so I am wondering what different types of INFJs exist? For example are there some that appear a bit more balanced (I personally tend to put on a happy face and deal with my emotions on my own so I might seem far more together than I acutally am) and are there others that wear their emotions more on their sleeves? Or is there a completely different kind of INFJ that I haven't even thought of?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know. I haven't got any clearly delineated types of INFJs (I think LA and Sarcasticus have written good stuff about that though, as well as Synarch, but I can't remember where to find it). I do know though that there are some that I effortlessly hitch with and identify with very well and there are others who seem kind of uptight or prickly or distant or moody to me. I don't dislike them, but I don't completely identify with them. I don't know if that has to do with personal experiences, enneagram, instinctual variants or what. I think certainly there are some adjustments in Fe/Fi levels depending on the variety of INFJ.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen subcategories built by pairing the dominant Ni with each of the other functions:

Ni-Fe
Ni-Ti
Ni-Se

A couple of poles of extreme I have noticed:

Certainty - Uncertainty
I think this has to do with how Ni is interpreted. For some it is about gut feeling and just "knowing" and trusting intuition. Another approach is to see Ni as the Bit Picture that is so enormous it cannot all be viewed at once which leads to deep uncertainty. In both approaches there is a desire to distill information down to its core meaning. The certainty approach seems to start with that core meaning and the second with the big picture. The Big Picture approach relies heavily on continual analysis because a core meaning cannot be extracted otherwise. Some INFJs use extensive analysis and others almost none.

Socially invested - Un-invested
I have noticed some INFJs who have strong Fe seem to be difficult to distinguish from extroverts. They make good hostesses and are always aware of people's feelings and social dynamics. It is also possible for the type to be extremely private and withdrawn socially.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My brother is of the INTP variety, but with a very good Fe. It's weird to explain.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've seen subcategories built by pairing the dominant Ni with each of the other functions:

Ni-Fe
Ni-Ti
Ni-Se

Yes it seems like most INFJs are either Enneagram 4s, 1s, or 9s, more or less in that order of commonality. The INFJ-4s (Ni-Fe) are quirky, moody, and creative, the 1s (Ni-Se?) are more morally idealistic, goal-oriented, and almost pathologically organized, and the 9s (Ni-Ti?) are more bookish, go-with-the-flow, peace and love types. I know a couple of each.

INFJ prayer: "Lord help me to be less of a perfectionist. Did I spell that correctly?" :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think there are really cool, artistic, creative out-the-box heavy Ni INFJs...that I love, love, love.

Then there are the ones who are still creative but more structured and academic, persnickety, pretentious almost snobby heavier Fe INFJs, who I tend to be very annoyed by.

Then there are the ones in between who are generally just nice and interesting people who I almost always like.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dammit the potential in INFJ's. Wish I was one.

P

Phantonym

You know, I actually have a problem with that. You make it sound like the INFJ's are the only ones with some extra special potential. I resent that. We're all special, every singly one of us. ;)

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know, I actually have a problem with that. You make it sound like the INFJ's are the only ones with some extra special potential. I resent that. We're all special, every singly one of us. ;)

Yeah right, you f'ng elitist.

I kid. Ni Fe Ti Se. Really, you have the best functions in the best order in my opinion. There is a strange crazy tendency though.

P

Phantonym

Yeah right, you f'ng elitist.

I kid. Ni Fe Ti Se. Really, you have the best functions in the best order in my opinion. There is a strange crazy tendency though.

Hahaha. Crazy tendency? Why, thank you. :wacko:

Well, everybody has a right for their own opinion. I happen to think that there are no "best" functions.

S

Sniffles

In Enneagram terms I tend to relate more to fellow 4s mostly. I can also very much relate to the big picture approach toonia mentioned.

No you don't.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm a self described 4w1 (though I often get 4w5) sp/so. And yes, I'm a bit pessimistic, but it's just one of many things that make me interesting.. I do hide my emotions, at least I think I do. If I'm pissed off or feeling down I don't smile. And those times, if I'm in public, that's when I have like 50 people saying "You need to smile". I don't really know what else to say about myself. I've been called boring so many times that I can kind of see that now.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I found a website that categorized more than 5 different types of 4's and 4w1 was one of them. It described me, so I ran with it. I did some digging and that rings closer to my personality than 4w5. Maybe someone could help me out.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Magic Poriforean and BlackCat are both into Enneagram. Check with them.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Apparently 4w5's have intellect and such, but with me I just don't see it. Descriptions I've read made statements that just aren't a part of my daily life. But I'm also not the healthiest person, so even INFJ does not always fit me. It's all giving me a headache.

Elf

MBTI Type
INFJ
I tend to relate to those who are quite serious on the outside, but full of excitement and magic on the inside. It's something incredibly special, when through sharing, kindness and compassion, the protective layers melt away and the wonderful person inside opens up. I live for moments like that.

Anyway, not all people who wear the INFJ label are like that. There are the cooler, scientific kind, the art therapist kind, the preachy ones, and the ones who want to be 'powerful' and are quite pissy because they're not. I admire most of the INFJs I know of, but love most the magical variety.

*smiles*

Lightyear

I tend to relate to those who are quite serious on the outside, but full of excitement and magic on the inside. It's something incredibly special, when through sharing, kindness and compassion, the protective layers melt away and the wonderful person inside opens up. I live for moments like that.

I can relate to that. I have a jacket that is plain blue on the outside but the print on the inside is made up of slightly psychedelic, awesome, colourful flowers. I always used to say this jacket is like me, it appears bland at first sight but once you look a bit closer you are like "Not at all! It's far more interesting than I first thought!"