User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iNfj

Question INFJ - Philosophy and Belief System

2 THINGS:

#1)
    Any others major/do graduate work in Philosophy? ... i'm starting to think it could be a red herring as I sift through what seems to be endless libraries of infinity containing unanswerable questions - or maybe this is an existential crisis? One doesnt exclude the other. Anyone else have a dangerous tendency towards philosophy ? If so, what branch?

2nd:
    You know what ... I've been reading that INFJ's have these particular, specific, 1 or 2 things that they vehemently and uncompromisingly believe in and do not budge on AND I want to know what others are - so lets do sort of a qualitative poll...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't have the attention span for Philosophy.

I guess if I was going to choose two things it would be defending the weak and desirability of exercising common courtesy whenever possible. Life has made me a pragmatist, though, so I will violate my own principles if I don't see a good alternative.

That probably isn't very helpful.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sniffles

I'm an autodidact, in that I read philosophy in my free time. My philosophical interests mostly are related to Anthropology, ie philosophy concerning man's nature. This branches off in various directions like Existentialism, humanism, political and social philosophy, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Philosophy seems to me a very T thing. Endless arguing over stuff that can't be proven, the point being the arguing. Makes me run for the hills.

As to what my Inviolate Things are ... well, that's a personal question, now, innit?

MBTI
    iNfj

cafe - it was helpful

peguy - first let me quote your namesake - "We must always tell what we see. Above all, and this is more difficult, we must always see what we see." nice...that was fun, so why is philosophy restricted only in your free time?

Sniffles

Nice somebody know my namesake.

Basically due to circumstances I haven't been able to pursue philosophy in any formal sense, and in some ways for a while I lacked the interest to do so as well.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by eternal recurrence View Post
    2 THINGS:
    #1)
    Any others major/do graduate work in Philosophy? ... i'm starting to think it could be a red herring as I sift through what seems to be endless libraries of infinity containing unanswerable questions - or maybe this is an existential crisis? One doesnt exclude the other. Anyone else have a dangerous tendency towards philosophy ? If so, what branch?
    Philosophy isn't really my cup of tea. I find myself constantly avoiding discussing philosophical issues because I don't feel confident in my ability to discuss them in a manner that it deserves. But I do like to gather information and ponder over issues by myself. I'm leaning mostly towards aesthetics and ethics.

2nd:
    You know what ... I've been reading that INFJ's have these particular, specific, 1 or 2 things that they vehemently and uncompromisingly believe in and do not budge on AND I want to know what others are - so lets do sort of a qualitative poll...
    This doesn't exactly apply to me. I spread myself too thin on a number of things, depending on my mood. My interest in things is in a constant flux and I haven't found specific things to be constantly interested in, I usually start to feel pressured and I definitely start to fight it.

What I believe in is never really fixed as I gather more and more information and "shift the blocks" in my mind. I am always open to new perspectives and I'm willing to admit my misconceptions and change my perspectives. But, there is one thing that I do not budge on, and that is my right to be interested in as many things as I like and to whatever extent I choose to be. However, as I never go that deep into anything, or I circle towards the core with a slower than slow pace, this mostly leaves me feeling inadequate in everything, sort of like "Jack of all trades..."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I do have a penchant for philosophy, as anyone familiar with my posting history can tell you. I have no plans to do course work in it, though, as American philosophy is dominated by the analytical tradition, which I have no use for whatsoever. What I'm interested in are philosophies that explore the human condition, whether the basic nature of reality as we experience it or what it means to feel a given emotion. The areas of philosophy that do this best are phenomenology and existentialism, which blend with a lot of other things like history, sociology, and psychology. These things interest me because my ultimate goal in life is to express myself to others in order to earn their love, and the prerequisite to doing that is to have something to express in the first place. Philosophy is obviously well-suited to that purpose, since it teaches me new things, gives me ideas of my own, and shows me the way to express it all. Philosophy also has the perk of giving me all sorts of tools with which to shift the way I look at things and light up courses of action that would not otherwise be available. If it weren't for philosophy, I would be a much weaker human being, and I might not even be alive, since it's one of the few things that has justified my life.

There are a lot of beliefs I resist budging on, either out of stubbornness or a playful arrogance, but all of these beliefs rest on a conviction that I must use belief itself as a weapon. That is the key to strength, and outside of it, everything is more or less negotiable.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by eternal recurrence View Post
    2 THINGS:

#1)

2nd:
    I never really dived too deeply in Philosophy, but I do like it. I'm a bit of an existentialist too.

And I'm anti-stupid. I believe in common sense and those who lack it will not receive much from me, if anything at all. I also don't agree with people who try and control you. That stretches from the way you live to the interests you have.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by quietmusician View Post
    I never really dived too deeply in Philosophy, but I do like it. I'm a bit of an existentialist too.

And I'm anti-stupid. I believe in common sense and those who lack it will not receive much from me, if anything at all. I also don't agree with people who try and control you. That stretches from the way you live to the interests you have.
    My ENFJ twin reads quite a lot of philosophy, and hermaneutical types of books, but isn't such a fan of the existential genre as my INFJ father. "Slaughter House Five" is one of his favorite books, if that tells you anything. The Introversion must have some effect on these sorts of preferences.