• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and truth

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I posted this on INTP central some time ago, and got their perspective, but now I'm curious what you NFs here think. There's a higher concentration of you idealists here on MBTIc, so I figure I might get a little more feedback from them here.
Nocapszy on INTPc said:
It's understood, to my knowledge universally by analysts of this strain, that NFs can believe whatever want and throw truth to the wind if it makes them more comfortable.

I admit this might not belong in the MBTI talk forum.

Since both NFPs and NFJs have minimally developed sensing facility, they're already getting "unreal" information. NFs are less likely to bother with their sensing than NTs because for NTs it's a utility - there's got to be a constant scan of the world to verify a theory, otherwise why bother, so says the rational. The idealist has no such bounds and hence their intuitions are left to meander freely and answer to no function.

I'm beginning to wonder why or how they can do this. I'm beginning to think, after dealing with a number of NFs, some of whom blatantly admit that they don't accept the truth if they don't want to. One of them ascribes her ability to the rejection of axioms.

That seems to be more the NFP mentality. The NFJs seem to have a bit of trouble procesing truth. Their shaddow side is that of the STPs. More importantly they encompass Ti. This ability, can be a great tool or a stumbling block as Ti has the ability to renegotiate things, or just put them off. Perhaps NFJs are less inclined to believe what actually is because of a lack of ability to process it, or a simple procrastination, which is never tended to and eventually forgotten due to the incessant influx of emotion brought on by Fe.

Well?

Fortunato posted another take on the situation. I'll get the quote and post it, because I think her take on it is if not more accurate, at least an interesting thought.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here it is.
Jennifer on INTPc said:
Nocapszy said:
I'm beginning to wonder why or how they can do this. I'm beginning to think, after dealing with a number of NFs, some of whom blatantly admit that they don't accept the truth if they don't want to. One of them ascribes her ability to the rejection of axioms.
One of my best friends irl (an INFP) has joked about this tendency of INFPs. She's stated before that she has the capacity to ignore whatever it is she doesn't want to believe and that her beliefs don't even have to make sense. (Which is probably why INFPglobal gets on my nerves so much.)

INFPs shine better in "values" areas and being true to one's own passions. This style of thinking is perfectly fine when you're dealing with things that have multiple interpretations or values where people need to be inspired or freed up from old useless pathways of thought.... truth of the outer world is less important than the truth of the inner world.

But it is not so hot when one is trying to create a working model of the outer reality.

I don't see the point in calling it fucking stupid in totality; I think it's useful when applied in the right context. And really, a lot of what is being seen isn't even in the provable or disprovable category [i.e., "rays of sun are spirits going to heaven"]. I can't "prove" that's wrong (even if I think it is bogus), but whether it's right/wrong is inconsequential for INFP -- it's the impact of what such a belief has on them and their attitude towards life that matters. That is what is right/wrong.

Nocapzy said:
The NFJs seem to have a bit of trouble procesing truth. Their shaddow side is that of the STPs. More importantly they encompass Ti. This ability, can be a great tool or a stumbling block as Ti has the ability to renegotiate things, or just put them off.

What I see is the ability to see too many options, or not a truth with an overriding priority (this is due to the Ni, probably)... and Ti is then used to support the confusion rather than prioritize the ideas.

Thank you, I found myself getting frustrated with some INFJ conversations lately and could not figure out why, because they are all very analytical people. I think the problem is simply that all options look the same to them, regardless of how they fit together. There has tended to not be a "best" fit. And all the Ti speak then just confused matters.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I have no problem processing truth, I just don't believe in it in the same sense that NTs do.

Truth is an interpretation of the available information. It is what people conform to believing is the most verifiable conclusion. Truth is an individual perspective. It is completely subjective and everyone sees it differently. If not, then it's because they choose to conform to someone else's perception of truth. There are no absolute truths in this world, only best fit truths that are suitable for certain situations and points in time. People and society are always changing and evolving. Truth inevitably changes and evolves with them.

Of course, I'm sure not all NFs and certainly not all NFJs feel that way.

Edit: *Just realized whose thread he replied to and quickly covers his quick* ;)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i never realized how much i truly do this until you posted this, but it's true. I really don't care how true something can be i will ignore it if it makes me feel comfortable. Some truth is just too painful for me to handle, i suppose that is why i do it.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I believe in absolute truth.

Other than that, I am not sure what you mean by this thread.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's understood, to my knowledge universally by analysts of this strain, that NFs can believe whatever want and throw truth to the wind if it makes them more comfortable.

Not exactly. We just focus more on finding out what we value than what's true. We don't deny it, it's just that sometimes we don't let it influence our decisions. And remember, we're not the ones who invented and first applied Cartesian doubt to everything, to come up with "I think, therefore I am." Which I think might be the only undeniable truth (based on something other than sensory perception) that anyone's ever found. And I don't think Descartes was an NF, so...

But even if reality is an illusion, we can say that things work in a particular way within that illusion, and since we can't see outside of it anyway, we can at least describe the reality simulated by it. Some people even consider it worthwhile to examine video games (known simulations) to this degree.

Since both NFPs and NFJs have minimally developed sensing facility, they're already getting "unreal" information. NFs are less likely to bother with their sensing than NTs because for NTs it's a utility - there's got to be a constant scan of the world to verify a theory, otherwise why bother, so says the rational. The idealist has no such bounds and hence their intuitions are left to meander freely and answer to no function.

So you think that SFJ's and SFP's are more aware of reality than we are? Maybe, but only in the same sense that STJ's and STP's are. I do know that INFP's seem very random/strange at times in what they value, not to mention vague... it can be unpredictable at times, they often seem to come out of nowhere. Some of their values can even seem absurd to the point of being nauseating (it isn't that I don't like them, it's just that they really confuse me at these times). Anyway, I'm quite sure Ni is able to find usable patterns on it's own, even if Ne isn't. And any Judging process is only as good as the information it's given. I've seen more than one Rational come to a faulty conclusion/understanding based on an error in their initial Intuitive leap, or a failure to weigh emotions enough to predict people's responses accurately.

It's that we can choose to act based on values rather than truth, not that we deny truth.

The NFJs seem to have a bit of trouble processing truth. Their shadow side is that of the STPs. More importantly they encompass Ti. This ability, can be a great tool or a stumbling block as Ti has the ability to renegotiate things, or just put them off. Perhaps NFJs are less inclined to believe what actually is because of a lack of ability to process it, or a simple procrastination, which is never tended to and eventually forgotten due to the incessant influx of emotion brought on by Fe.

Well, after all, reality could be an illusion, and many parts of what are typically observed in it actually are illusions based on people interpreting things in terms of unconscious archetypes. That makes us hesitant to accept a truth we don't understand. Even the INTJ's would probably agree with that. And I think you could say that we sometimes don't react to the truth, because values are more important. Not that we don't/can't process it. In fact, sometimes I've believed something was true, but pretended to believe something else because I didn't want to hurt the person I was dealing with by telling it to them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think I said in your other thread that I believe in truth, but lack confidence in the ability of humans to arrive at it, IOW, I don't we are capable of objectivity or of seeing truth in its entirety. For that reason, I'm ambivalent about the idea. We can make observations and collect data, but in the end, we are just coming up with a (hopefully) more accurate best guess.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally don't feel I fall into the category of ignoring 'truth', but I suppose all of us on some level do it. But I also wouldn't say I'm a cookie-cutter NF either. I'm actually all about science and your 'facts' when it comes to 'truth.' I don't really want to live in a fantasy world that only exists because I WANT it to exist. However, I will occasionally not read certain nonfiction books, just because I already know the gist of the topic, and simply don't want to know the details. So I will sometimes 'ignore' the unpleasant just because I don't think knowing the details of the unpleasant will do me a lot of good.

Well, here are some blips that I wrote several years ago, sort of related to the topic.....

'...What I mean is that everyone looks at events and life in a certain way unique to them and depending on the way one looks at things one can explain things in many, many different ways. It all hinges on perspective. This does not mean that there isn't one ultimate reality and "way things really happen", but I think it is difficult for us to step out of our own perceptions and release all biases and pre-conditioned beliefs....This makes me recall the "balanced" vision of things - some philosophers are strictly empirical, others strictly rational, some live in a complete idealist state, others have no idealism. I think one has to have a little bit of all, or else one is omitting part of experience and humanity.....After studying 3 centuries worth of philosophers, I am convinced that there is truth in all of them, and much of the differences have to do with semantics and their personality (or how their brain is "wired" to think, reason, and process observations and information). There are obvious differences in value systems and beliefs associated with God/ethics/what have you, but this could come down to how they were brought up, their temperament, their intellectual abilities. And everyone sees the world in a certain way and leans more vs. less empirical, more vs. less rational, and so on, but an individual's inclination doesn't mean it's the right one. There might not be anything wrong with it, but it certainly wouldn't grasp reality in its true form and be un-biased in everything.....[random stuff about religious stuff]....Their viewpoint makes absolutely no sense to me and I truly believe they are wrong. But they truly believe I am wrong. So what's the solution? I could be like the other philosophers and state with utter certainty that my philosophy and belief system is the right one and everyone else is skewed one way or the other, but am I justified in this?'

etc etc. Basically I think most of us have our own strong 'truths'/beliefs, that we'll hold onto. The fact that I think I'm 'right', and think another person is 'wrong', or this is 'truth' and that 'isn't truth', is kind of pointless -- I fully recognize that just because I think I grasp 'truth', doesn't mean I in reality DO. With this in mind, I turn the tables - I also don't take much stock in ANYone saying one way is THE way, or THE truth, because they're in the same boat as I am and may be equally ignorant or blinded.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
"Since both NFPs and NFJs have minimally developed sensing facility, they're already getting "unreal" information. NFs are less likely to bother with their sensing than NTs because for NTs it's a utility - there's got to be a constant scan of the world to verify a theory, otherwise why bother, so says the rational. The idealist has no such bounds and hence their intuitions are left to meander freely and answer to no function."

I love how folks on random sites come up with such rediculous and one-sided arguements to make the most rediculous claims about type.
If you're a catylist, you'll also be using your sensing to see what effect your actions have on people
No, NT ideas aren't inherently more real than NF ideas. Sorry.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I ignore the concept of death. I suppose that's "less real".

Or just enterprising.

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
I think I said in your other thread that I believe in truth, but lack confidence in the ability of humans to arrive at it, IOW, I don't we are capable of objectivity or of seeing truth in its entirety. For that reason, I'm ambivalent about the idea. We can make observations and collect data, but in the end, we are just coming up with a (hopefully) more accurate best guess.

I agree with this. I consider myself to be a truth-seeker, but I believe there are many aspects to truth and many pitfalls.

Rationality is only one aspect of truth. In the logical arena, I suppose many NTs excel. I've been over at INFPgc for about a year and I seem to be more obsessed with debating ideas than most INFPs there. So, my experience is probably far from representative. I'm fairly argumentative for someone who prefers to avoid most conflict. For whatever reason, intellectual conflict inspires me. Then again, INFPs can deeply value anything including rationality.

The problem with people interested in 'truth' are issues of intellectual honesty and humility. Most NFs I've met are fairly honest and humble about what they don't know. If anything, many NFs are by definition less interested in objective truth because Feeling gives a subjective slant to their thinking. And so the weakness of NFs would be the dismissal of objective rationality. Even so, I supsect NFs are better than NTs at thinking about thinking(ie seeing the subjective motivations and underpinnings of supposed 'rational' thought). In this sense, I think its no accident that it was an INFP that worked out a fairly complex system such as the MBTI.

NTs are more interested in the structure of thought.
NFs are more interested in the substance of thought.

I idealize truth in all of its forms. I appreciate the clarity of thought that many NTs bring to the table, but many NTs are too self-assured in their thinking sometimes to the point of self-righteousness(not to say other types can't also fall prey to this). This annoys me, but not only because it shows a lack of social graces. Too much self-assuredness in rational thought can lead to rationalization and a blindness to other aspects of thought. I've had discussions with a number of NTs where they seemed utterly clueless about the emotional undertow to their own thinking. There is a thin line between rationality being feuled by unconscious motivations and unconscious motivations being rationalized.

Sometimes, the data and the logic don't speak for themselves. NFs are the masters of meaning which is what gives to ideas a larger and deeper context. NTs too often argue for the sake of arguing, and especially with INTPs this can seem to go nowhere. I've never been fond of intellectual pissing contests.

Both NFs and NTs are less connected to the realities of Sensation data. The abstractions of rational thought aren't necessarily any more realistic than the abstracting tendencies of NFs. All types see reality partially. NFs only have some advantage in the sense that they're hyper-aware of this paritality(subjective bias).

NTs are better at finding the distinctions between ideas.
NFs are better at finding the relationships between ideas.

NTs are better at analyzing and systematizing mental constructs.
NFs are better at seeing the context inherent to multiple perspectives.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Sorry to throw a wrench into the works but I totally need to discover "the truth" I don't just believe something because I want to. I admit I'd like to do that but I know how unrealistic that is.
So even if I do something or believe something you will never hear me say I did it or believed it because I was just ignoring the truth or I believed what I did is because it IS the truth I want. I would be honest and say I'm doing it or I think something because I WANT to.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I used to think that NT's value more truth than NF's. However, my own experience aswell as existing scientific evidence point towards the opposite.

In my experience, NF's only seem to make small lies to spare people's feelings. However, I wouldn't really consider it lying but more politeness. For example, they might get a gift and if they do not like it, say politely "thank you". In important situations, they are much more likely to speak the truth when they feel the situation is unjust than NT's. I have seen NF's stand up against the status quo and speak the truth to defend someone unfairly treated. As far as scientific evidence goes, "F" correlates with Agreeableness in the Big Five. One of the subfactors of Agreeableness is "Morality", the fact that the person tends to deal straightforwardly with people instead of using manipulation.

On the other hand, NT's seem to avoid the small lies to spare people's feelings. They might seem more honest at first. My own experience tells me that they are much more likely to cover up the truth if it is in favor of their interests. They may manipulate opinion by arguing in a seemingly logical but invalid way. "T" correlates negatively with Agreeableness, and we can expect T's to score low on "Morality" which means that they have no qualms about distorting the truth to manipulate people. The low Agreeableness might make them seem more honest though because they more readily criticize others.

These elements bring me to conclude that in appearance NT's value truth more than NF's but when it gets down to the crux it's really the NF's that will be able to speak about the truth even if it is unfavorable to them. NT's may think that they are above their emotions and are faithful to the facts but do not always realize what a role their feelings play and how they can be influenced by them into distorting a situation. For having experience in working in an environment full of NT's, believe me that they are no more honest and straightforward than other people. In fact, they are less so and are very strategic and pragmatic about it. After all, for NT's, the facts are only the facts and reality is malleable. The ones that I have seen speaking the truth that no one dares to mention were the NF's. An INFJ and ENFJ come to mind and these people's way of relating to the external world is through "Extraverted Feeling" - ironically a function that supposedly covers the truth up for other people. In reality, it doesn't.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why, Darth Maverick. You're being so even-handed, space-time has ripped and my clock is running backward. BACKWARD. lol ;) :D

Your NF brethren may be inspired to commit squishy PDAs on you now.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I should point out that I later changed from truth to reality. More specifically, reality as humans are capable of perceiving it.

Also, I didn't mean this as an attack on NFs. I never said that truth and reality were better. All I said was that you guys have the ability to ignore it or just can't decipher which of the (possibly) many views which is exactly the real one. Especially since your energy is focused in an interpersonal direction rather than scientific/object and understanding the cosmos as it is and will in the future be.

I think most of what I posted was taken the wrong way. I don't mean to say you NFs can't figure out what's true or that you can't accept anything that is true, nor was I attacking personality. My best friend is an NF. I have several other NFs in my close circle of friends. I like you guys. However, it's difficult sometimes when trying to figure something out, because a lot of the time, I'm in the middle of explaining something (often for my own sake, but not exclusively) I'm interrupted because I've either said something offensive or rude or whatever. Then I started wondering why it bothered them so much, and this is what I came up with.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
FWIW, I'm not equating honesty with truth. I believe in and value honest and think we ought to be as honest as we can with others (though not to the point of malice) and especially with ourselves. But just because we are being honest to the best of our ability does not mean that we say or think or believe is truth. I do believe that honesty helps us get the clearest picture of the truth, though.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I should point out that I later changed from truth to reality. More specifically, reality as humans are capable of perceiving it.

Also, I didn't mean this as an attack on NFs. I never said that truth and reality were better. All I said was that you guys have the ability to ignore it or just can't decipher which of the (possibly) many views which is exactly the real one. Especially since your energy is focused in an interpersonal direction rather than scientific/object and understanding the cosmos as it is and will in the future be.

I think most of what I posted was taken the wrong way. I don't mean to say you NFs can't figure out what's true or that you can't accept anything that is true, nor was I attacking personality. My best friend is an NF. I have several other NFs in my close circle of friends. I like you guys. However, it's difficult sometimes when trying to figure something out, because a lot of the time, I'm in the middle of explaining something (often for my own sake, but not exclusively) I'm interrupted because I've either said something offensive or rude or whatever. Then I started wondering why it bothered them so much, and this is what I came up with.

You're still assuming that feeling=further from reality than thinking. That isn't true. I don't understand how 'interpersonal' is less realistic.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
However, it's difficult sometimes when trying to figure something out, because a lot of the time, I'm in the middle of explaining something (often for my own sake, but not exclusively) I'm interrupted because I've either said something offensive or rude or whatever. Then I started wondering why it bothered them so much, and this is what I came up with.
What kind of things are you usually explaining when you get that kind of reaction?

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why, Darth Maverick. You're being so even-handed, space-time has ripped and my clock is running backward. BACKWARD. lol ;) :D

Your NF brethren may be inspired to commit squishy PDAs on you now.

I bow down to an eloquent dithyramb and will reciprocate any PDA's.

:hug:

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I used to think that NT's value more truth than NF's. However, my own experience aswell as existing scientific evidence point towards the opposite.

In my experience, NF's only seem to make small lies to spare people's feelings. However, I wouldn't really consider it lying but more politeness. For example, they might get a gift and if they do not like it, say politely "thank you". In important situations, they are much more likely to speak the truth when they feel the situation is unjust than NT's. I have seen NF's stand up against the status quo and speak the truth to defend someone unfairly treated. As far as scientific evidence goes, "F" correlates with Agreeableness in the Big Five. One of the subfactors of Agreeableness is "Morality", the fact that the person tends to deal straightforwardly with people instead of using manipulation.

On the other hand, NT's seem to avoid the small lies to spare people's feelings. They might seem more honest at first. My own experience tells me that they are much more likely to cover up the truth if it is in favor of their interests. They may manipulate opinion by arguing in a seemingly logical but invalid way. "T" correlates negatively with Agreeableness, and we can expect T's to score low on "Morality" which means that they have no qualms about distorting the truth to manipulate people. The low Agreeableness might make them seem more honest though because they more readily criticize others.

These elements bring me to conclude that in appearance NT's value truth more than NF's but when it gets down to the crux it's really the NF's that will be able to speak about the truth even if it is unfavorable to them. NT's may think that they are above their emotions and are faithful to the facts but do not always realize what a role their feelings play and how they can be influenced by them into distorting a situation. For having experience in working in an environment full of NT's, believe me that they are no more honest and straightforward than other people. In fact, they are less so and are very strategic and pragmatic about it. After all, for NT's, the facts are only the facts and reality is malleable. The ones that I have seen speaking the truth that no one dares to mention were the NF's. An INFJ and ENFJ come to mind and these people's way of relating to the external world is through "Extraverted Feeling" - ironically a function that supposedly covers the truth up for other people. In reality, it doesn't.

I agree with the above. I'm wondering if it's not more an N trait than an NF trait. The NF's that I've noticed who are more likely to make the truth their "own" truth are NP's. Not having experience with ALL NT's (especially the ENTP (I have one friend...a woman who is an ENTP) but the INTP's I know, and I know several, are more likely to do this. Hmmm wonder what that means.