INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

It isn't "fake", it's a "mode."

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Sure. Modes tend to sound contrived to me though. I use modes to solve problems, not to have fun. But that's me of course.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    i get it. i'm a portrait photographer and have a mode too. it's important when working with people and you need them to feel relaxed and happy...like i would assume you do as a dancer as well.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

It's a rather advanced mode for an IxTJ. We don't have the Fe, which would naturally compile this information into useful patterns we could use. Instead, we have to logically sort through the nonsense and make sense of it.

I make sense of it by calling it a "mode." If I think of it as "fake" and "not genuine", I don't learn anything because I refuse to learn it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

What about seeing modes as the different face we were when interacting with different people? We are different with our parents, bosses, mentors, children, employees, coworkers... why are these modes seen as anything contrived?
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i get it. i'm a portrait photographer and have a mode too. it's important when working with people and you need them to feel relaxed and happy...like i would assume you do as a dancer as well.
    Yes. There is a certain language you use. The way I talk to friends and family is different from the way I spoke with my physics Ph.D. adviser, is different from the way I speak with those with whom I dance.

All different modes.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    What about seeing modes as the different face we were when interacting with different people? We are different with our parents, bosses, mentors, children, employees, coworkers... why are these modes seen as anything contrived?
    I personally strive very hard to not be at all different with all those different people. I even get into trouble because of it. To me it's being contrived. I personally feel weird if I have to talk differently with different people. It's about authenticity. Everyone has a different view of course. It works for me though, and people tend to like it after a while.

Uumlau, I myself refuse to "learn" it. But what do you mean by not learn anything? Not learning what exactly? To act in a certain way with people to get what we want?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    That other thread got crazy, so I wanted to send some love directly to the ENFPs, the charming, gushy and delightful creatures you are!

We've likely all experienced it on either side; not knowing how deep a relationship should be following what we perceived to be a deep connection/not realizing that the other person perceived something as more significant than we did. At the end of the day, we have a difference in both communication and values. The joys of being human and flawed

To take a previous OP and reword it into a different structure:

Situation:

There are types (or just people) who love connecting with people. These connections can be created through something deeply emotional (skipping smalltalk and jumping straight into something more personal) or devastatingly intellectual (gosh, ideas are sexy, aren't they?).

Questions:

1) With these high intensity - low commitment interactions, what is really happening?

2) Is there anything morally wrong with connecting with people on a deep personal/intellectual level and not following up with a relationship of some sort? Would this be better depicted by shades of grey rather than black and white, and if so, how would it be measured?

3) How is this being perceived by the stakeholders in this situation? (The person who is seeking and creating these interactions, the person being interacted with)

4) How can we build a shared vocabulary and social construct to deal with the confusion the consequences of these missed communications create? How can someone set up boundaries to make it clear to others what they are willing and unwilling to participate in?

5) Is there value in these sudden, seemingly more personally invested, interactions? Should we condition those around us to stop engaging in them for the sake of self-protectionism?
    OH NO!!! They got to Twinks!!! You Bastards!!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i know what you mean but imo i'm not being inauthentic when i say complimentary things to people at work..if one pose is unflattering and i adjust them and then say that's it perfect...and get a beautiful expression or line...i don't think it's being fake to say so...but it's a mode because i don't usually go around complimenting peoples posture or expressions outside of that.

edit: and twinks? who's twinks?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I personally strive very hard to not be at all different with all those different people. I even get into trouble because of it. To me it's being contrived. I personally feel weird if I have to talk differently with different people. It's about authenticity. Everyone has a different view of course. It works for me though, and people tend to like it after a while.

Uumlau, I myself refuse to "learn" it. But what do you mean by not learn anything? Not learning what exactly? To act in a certain way with people to get what we want?
    It's like learning a language, but the words are the same.

In the computer world, it is sometimes appropriate to use XML, sometimes to use CSV, sometimes to use javascript, sometimes to use java. All of these things do sort of the same thing, but they have different priorities.

Different social venues have different priorities. You don't change who you are: rather you change your mode of expression and understanding.

But yeah, it's kind of "rudimentary Fe" so it "feels fake" to us TJs.