• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and walking habits

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
The other day I stumbled upon an article called "How to Recognize an INFJ". I thought this line was particularly interesting:

An INFJ walks erect and with purpose and they appear to be focused on where they are going.

I've been told this is how I walk, and now I am very aware of it. Long strides, erect posture, determined, and brisk. My INFJ friend walks like this as well. But I have a few of INFP friends, and they all walk slower than me, and they tend to walk diagonally and make spontaneous turns and stops. When I go shopping with them, it's like playing bumper cars. (Don't get me wrong — it's endearing, not irritating. Hopefully they feel the same way about my walking style!)

Does anyone else see a pattern in mbti and walking habits? What about ENFs?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Usually with head down ,hands in pockets and get the hell out of my way..
I walk fast and with purpose .. Comes from a life time of not driving

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Don't know if it's a type thing or not, but the people who lived in the suite below me used to joke that I had a dictatorial kind of walk.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
PS: I posted this partly because a lot of people seem to have trouble figuring out if they're INFJ or INFP. Maybe this could be the determining factor. :newwink:

P

Phantonym

Haha. There might not be a pattern. But yes, I happen to walk while standing up. :whistling: And I always have a purpose. I usually walk quite fast and I always have a specific route planned out. I might not appear to be quite "there" while walking, though. I swear it's a miracle I haven't been hit by a car.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I walk really fast (people tell me to slow down) and with purpose, unless I'm tired or having a conversation with someone.

I also walk for exercise and fun, which is less purposeful.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I walk pretty fast, depending on where I'm rushing to get to (school, avoiding smokers/chain smokers- gives me a headache).

I walk slow in places like at the beach, or just exercising in general. I take my time.

I have this thing where I feel a little awkward exposing my wrists, because I have long arms, and abnormally small wrists, which makes me feel like my hands are gordo. When I walk, I somewhat try to hide it.. I feel really self-conscious about it, and it makes me look a little klutzy.:peepwall:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I didn't used to walk fast, but got in the habit when my kids were little: if they had to boogie to keep up, they couldn't get into as much stuff. Plus, taking small kids places is like walking around with a ticking time bomb in your back pocket. It's only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong. You want to get done and get home ASAP. Now it's just habit.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
WTF are "walking habits?"

:rofl1:

I walk fast. Really fast. It hasn't reached Coke Addict speed yet. It's more like Naomi Campbell on the Catwalk fast. My friends even tease me about how much they hate to go window shopping with me because I move too quickly and simply do not understand how to walk leisurely. I can't help that I have long legs. It feels unnatural for me to walk any slower than I have to. *pout*

I've also developed a bad habit of looking at my foot when I walk sometimes. When I was younger, I was terribly clumsy and would trip over books and clothing and people even, so now I look down a lot to make sure there's nothing in my path. Plus, I tend to daydream and forget where I am, so I assumed it'd be best not to look at people while I'm zoning out :D They'd be confused at why I'm staring at them for so long.

gromit

likes this
I naturally walk pretty slowly and smile at people (and usually they smile back and then we are both happier!) and take in what is going on around me. If I am in a hurry, I am running but also usually smiling because it is somewhat ridiculous to be scurrying around like that. I don't know if I can even walk fast at all, so it's either slowly sauntering or running.

Also I like skipping and hopping and galloping when I am in a particularly good mood, which is often how I feel when I am outside, seeing people and things. :)

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
When I was younger, I was terribly clumsy and would trip over books and clothing and people even, so now I look down a lot to make sure there's nothing in my path. Plus, I tend to daydream and forget where I am, so I assumed it'd be best not to look at people while I'm zoning out :D They'd be confused at why I'm staring at them for so long.
Yeah. I used to bump into things A LOT. Still do. I bruise up pretty often- in the kitchen, bathroom, at work, supermarket, you name it.

I have a habit of trying to carry lots of things at once when I'm walking (too lazy to make a 2nd trip), and then either destroying, dropping, and having to bend over and pick up things constantly. I get WTF looks pretty often, and when I daze, people go: "you need help finding something? you look lost." Thx.

I love skipping and hopping on shopping carts when no one's looking. I love speeding on them like skateboards!

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Im an INFP and when unless I am outside trying to enjoy the view I walk really fast

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love skipping and hopping on shopping carts when no one's looking. I love speeding on them like skateboards!

I do that, too! *hifi*

Also, my mind read "buggy" instead of "shopping cart." Of course I'm not Southern!

:doh:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Usually with head down ,hands in pockets and get the hell out of my way..
I walk fast and with purpose .. Comes from a life time of not driving

Haha. There might not be a pattern. But yes, I happen to walk while standing up. :whistling: And I always have a purpose. I usually walk quite fast and I always have a specific route planned out. I might not appear to be quite "there" while walking, though. I swear it's a miracle I haven't been hit by a car.
Yeah, I'm similar.

I tend to walk fast because thoughts of what's next and where I need to get to are very present in my mind. And I walk with my head lowered, eyes staring at the pavement because its easier to think when I have less visual stimulation. And for some reason, walking seems to really kick start my brain. Even if I try to stop myself looking down/thinking, I revert back to it without noticing - it seems to happen unconsciously. Unless somethings really out of the ordinary, I don't tend to notice (well, properly take in) my surroundings.

I guess outwardly I look somber and withdrawn, as if I have a sign on my forehead that says "don't you dare speak to me".

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I'm similar.

I tend to walk fast because thoughts of what's next and where I need to get to are very present in my mind. And I walk with my head lowered, eyes staring at the pavement because its easier to think when I have less visual stimulation. And for some reason, walking seems to really kick start my brain. Even if I try to stop myself looking down/thinking, I revert back to it without noticing - it seems to happen unconsciously. Unless somethings really out of the ordinary, I don't tend to notice (well, properly take in) my surroundings.

I guess outwardly I look somber and withdrawn, as if I have a sign on my forehead that says "don't you dare speak to me".

YES.. walking is when I always do my best thinking too.. and I have heard a few others over my life mention this as well..
What is it about walking that gets the mind cogs grinding??

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
they tend to walk diagonally and make spontaneous turns and stops. When I go shopping with them, it's like playing bumper cars.

"I am walking like this because I am high, you are walking like this because you are 'Rebe'."

"Imagine how she walks when she is drunk!"

"'Rebe', walk in a straight line damn it!"

:wubbie: I think it has gotten worse as I have gotten older. When I need to be somewhere, I walk really fast and with purpose. Actually, I generally walk pretty fast comparatively. If I am with friends or don't have a purpose, I stumble and wobble...and SWAY!

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If I am with friends or don't have a purpose, I stumble and wobble...and SWAY!

Yeah. And since I usually have a song playing in my head, I'll be following a beat that no one else hears, and flitting around the obstacles (such as other people) like a aimless bee :)

Makes the Brownian motion seem perfectly planned and predictable :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I have a few of INFP friends, and they all walk slower than me, and they tend to walk diagonally and make spontaneous turns and stops. When I go shopping with them, it's like playing bumper cars. (Don't get me wrong — it's endearing, not irritating. Hopefully they feel the same way about my walking style!)

Yes, I walk in a crooked path & knock into people by mistake...and poles. Poles like to jump in front of me out of nowhere. But I often walk fast while looking down, because I am rather nervous and want to pass by unnoticed, and since my mind is elsewhere, I am literally not stopping to smell the roses (as there often aren't any :tongue:). However, I still manage to have a "floaty" quality. I avoid eye contact with people and probably seem a bit "dazed". There's always a danger of inadvertently "staring" when daydreaming, as someone else mentioned, so keeping eyes down is best.

If the atmosphere is particularly nice, then I may do the opposite: head craned up in a dreamy gaze, sauntering slowly, and now oblivious to obstacles below. Instead of running into poles, I then trip over things and fall off steps :D.

Oh, and I also move in an "illogical" order. I will go here for something, then cross there for something else, and then back to the first spot, when I probably could have done it in a more efficient way. When I go grocery shopping, I am crossing back & forth all over the store :D.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
In addition to many other anomalies, I walk on tippy toes a lot.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I thought that article was funny about the INFJs and being clumsy/uncoordinated. That's me for sure!