• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Deep Conversation - Function type??

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I had this incredible conversation last night with a good friend of mine. It almost seems too sacred to share the thoughts, or it would ruin it.

But what functions does it primarily use (Fe,Fi, Te, Ti, Ni, etc)? I was completely flabbergasted that my friend even understood fragments of what I was saying. My ISFP ex would have gotten lost and completely frustrated after the first sentence. Don't think ESFP bff would get it either.

As friend put it... this is ramblings of the mind in binary code. If I can identify the functions used, then perhaps I can find more friends to have these meaningful conversations with!

You guys rock for helping me out!

-----------------------------------

[Preface: I'm sprawled out on my bed in the dark, texting friend, after waking up from a 4 hour nap. Completely relaxed... almost in a weird mood, I'd think I was a new age hippy if I read these things later and didn't remember the experience and reverie of the moment. ;)

Friend was on a trip in the desert and staring at the stars and peaceful silence earlier in the day...]

(talking...)

Me: ... These kinds of things are what English letters along cannot suffice to communicate... English letters become so shallow and pithy sometimes.. as chicken scratching lines put together through bits of electronic light on a screen which cannot even begin to grasp the entirety of what one tries to communicate.

Friend: If that is true, then I wonder what I am missing, that which I fail to fully grasp... because I know your thoughts are full of creativity and meaning...

Me: A mystery, a beautiful enigma of warmth perhaps? When was the last time you just laid there and felt how good air itself feels going through your lungs and all the muscles relaxing across your back - without any other thoughts...

Friend: I can't remember the last time.. hope I can feel that... (contemplative thoughts)

Me: I don't know about you, but 90% of the time I have an ongoing mental agenda, a sprinkling of worry, and guilt or perhaps just a strong sense of responsibility to myself and others everpresent in the back of my mind. The moments I am free of these... you look at and truly experience life. I feel I am rambling...

Friend: It's like rambling put into binary code. Then decoded by a program I designed, and you didn't. I am laying in the silent dark absorbing your thoughts, don't know if it's making sense but I'm enjoying the relaxing freedom behind it...

Friend: Those single seconds make you forget there is a future or a past...

(more conversation)

Friend: I've contemplated different things... perhaps are we really two alchemists working together to uncover the mysteries of the philospher's stone.

(and on...)

Arg. Even these few sentences really don't capture the magic of the conversation. :doh:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My first instinct is INFP... Sounds like you had a good time. :)

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Well he's an INTJ actually... lol... I convinced him to take the test and it fits the typical behaviour perfectly.
But I'm trying to figure out what functions were being used in the conversation so I can find other people with the same use of those functions.

I may just delete this thread... I don't think my point is effectively working.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Deep conversations would be Fi, Ni, Ne, Ti and Si?

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I don't know MBTI in much depth and can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that I have had conversations like that, and I tested INTJ in college and in my fifties now test toward the middle on E-I and S-N but strongly F and P. A friend has also had conversations like that and might be INFP.

As to where you'll find people like that, you may not need to solely look for them by function -- you could also try looking for them by place. What you described strikes me as a metaphysical/philosophical conversation about awareness and aspects of The Big Questions, expressed with intelligence and creativity, and with an unusually good ("magical"!) connection made because of caring, trust, and openness. IME, you'll find potentially kindred people at online philosophy groups, and at local unconventional spirituality places like neo-pagan gatherings and extremely liberal churches (Unitarian-Universalist is one). You may also find people at writers' groups and at book discussion groups, and in hiking groups or places where people go to get pensive out in nature. I would think that some people volunteering at hospices or with seniors may share your interests. (Aging and death regularly intersect with deeper issues.)

G

Glycerine

You guys connected through Ni. Ni users would probably would be really into deep conversations and would have a propensity for them. Ni is all about "depth" and the "abstract". XXNJs (esp. INXJs) know how to spin a subject into multiple ways so they can get REALLY deep into pretty much any subject and drive most people crazy. ;) Ni, Ne, Fi, Ti, Si, Fe, Te, Se (in order).