User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 182

  1. #61
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I got loads, they're free for cats

    Hope those aren't suppositories. *shudder*



  2. #62
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I guess the reason why the post strikes me as narcissistic...is because it is. As an ENFP, when I was a senior in high school, people I didn't know said "hi" to me in the hallway. When I was a little older, I was surprised by guys who I thought were my friends liking me more than I liked them, or even getting mad or hurt because I didn't return their crushes.

    Then I grew up.

    You know, you choose to lead people on like that to feed your own ego. I know, because I used to do it as a teenager. You say as you grow older you have less of a capacity for bullshit. Great! Then stop going around projecting your Fi onto people to fulfill your own need for attention.

    I know exactly what the OP is talking about, and it's not something that "just happens" to ENFPs - it's something we cause and create, and as an ENFP gets older he or she needs to learn to become more responsible with manipulating others feelings instead of whining about their perceived popularity.

    Don't want to be popular? Fine. Connect with people you don't have a special attachment to in a different manner. It is possible to care for people, to talk with strangers, to form less deep connections with more people WITHOUT having the "me show" effect on them, trust me. I used to work in a kind of sales where I was selling myself, and I will tell you it is a conscious behavior. You CAN get people to "leave you alone."

    You've got to take responsibility for your own behavior and reserve those really intense connections with people you really want to be close to. If you get the occasional card or note in thanks, maybe try being thankful for it instead of bragging about it.

    The idea of bragging about how people would be more attached to me than I to them at my age totally makes me cringe, even makes me ashamed to be associated with the ENFP stereotype. DO NOT WANT.
    Bravo.

    I was just going to say this same thing, albeit in a different way.

    Whenever I hear an ENFP complaining about too much attention, I have to roll my eyes. They consciously behave in ways that draw others toward them to, and surprise, surprise, others are drawn to them. Connecting with people is something they thrive on, and yes, I'd have to say it feeds their ego to an extent. Something in them likes that they can have an effect on people, and have others adore them so. And if everyone were to stop paying attention to them today, they would be hopeless.

  3. #63
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    You know, it's moments like these that make me politely recuse myself and say "speak for yourself". I appreciate Marmalade you are so candid about where you are coming from in regards to the OP, but I think one thing to keep in mind is that your own lived experience is not necessarily the same for everyone else. It's normal to project and filter our own experience when we read other's stories, it's how people relate and understand their world. And I'm sure there are outright "manipulative" ENFPs and attention whoring ENFPs but all ENFPs are like this to such a conscious extent? Really?

    I think the OP was glib but i don't think she was "bragging" about how popular she was. I think the scenario you are imagining is possible, but that's not what is happening in this case. If she were consciously trying to engineer this situation, she wouldn't be surprised at the response. Of course, this could all be an elaborate ploy for more attention, but I don't think so.

    And do people really think just because someone is extraverted and 'nice' that they are looking for ego validation or are "socially engineering" situations or they want something from you? Seriously? That does underly a lot of the criticisms levelled against EXFJs here.

    Now that's *my* pet peeve and it is exactly because these kind of cynical/suspicious perspectives that the OP gets the genuinely surprised and even grateful responses. I know when I encounter an unexpectedly sympathetic/nice person I'm grateful and I have a positive view of them/the experience. It's the idea of "random acts of kindness" particularly from strangers.

    And there are SO MANY HATERS in the world it is genuinely refreshing and appreciated when someone doesn't fall into that mindset/attitude and is [any one of the following -] optimistic, cheerful, engaged, guileless, etc.

    Not everything and everyone has a sinister hidden agenda. I think in situations like the OP's the answer lies more heavily in two directions - either conscious manipulation like in Marmalade's example or else in genuine cluelessness/obliviousness. And outside of outright manipulation/hidden agendas at play, social interactions are so nuanced that your final judgement call of it reflects more of your own mindset and temperament.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  4. #64
    Senior Member Heart&Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I guess the reason why the post strikes me as narcissistic...is because it is. As an ENFP, when I was a senior in high school, people I didn't know said "hi" to me in the hallway. When I was a little older, I was surprised by guys who I thought were my friends liking me more than I liked them, or even getting mad or hurt because I didn't return their crushes.

    Then I grew up.

    You know, you choose to lead people on like that to feed your own ego. I know, because I used to do it as a teenager. You say as you grow older you have less of a capacity for bullshit. Great! Then stop going around projecting your Fi onto people to fulfill your own need for attention.

    I know exactly what the OP is talking about, and it's not something that "just happens" to ENFPs - it's something we cause and create, and as an ENFP gets older he or she needs to learn to become more responsible with manipulating others feelings instead of whining about their perceived popularity.

    Don't want to be popular? Fine. Connect with people you don't have a special attachment to in a different manner. It is possible to care for people, to talk with strangers, to form less deep connections with more people WITHOUT having the "me show" effect on them, trust me. I used to work in a kind of sales where I was selling myself, and I will tell you it is a conscious behavior. You CAN get people to "leave you alone."

    You've got to take responsibility for your own behavior and reserve those really intense connections with people you really want to be close to. If you get the occasional card or note in thanks, maybe try being thankful for it instead of bragging about it.

    The idea of bragging about how people would be more attached to me than I to them at my age totally makes me cringe, even makes me ashamed to be associated with the ENFP stereotype. DO NOT WANT.
    Very good post, Marmalade!

    To get through the maze of maturing our intense aux-Fi, we may follow different paths (I was more scared and less smug about it than OP), but at some point we will all have to own it and use it well.

    But couldn't that be the case with tert-Fi as well, only with delay?

    How about this idea: When an IxTJ comes of age, say 30-40-ish, he might display the same pattern as you had in high school (or other disaster-stories of young ENFPs with a poor mastery of Fi...) That'd be tertiary Fi getting into puberty and we'll see IxTJs experimenting with this weird effect they can have on others, occasionally becoming more popular than they can handle? While not yet knowing how to control such effects, thus not yet ready to accept having choices wrt the different flavors of connections they enter, they still do get some halfbaked ambivalent thrill out of it.
    "Hey Ni-boss, look at this, I can ride my Fiiiii...!" **CRASH**

    Not that they'll admit it easily...

  5. #65
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    ^ best use of bananallama I have ever seen!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  6. #66
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    You know, it's moments like these that make me politely recuse myself and say "speak for yourself". I appreciate Marmalade you are so candid about where you are coming from in regards to the OP, but I think one thing to keep in mind is that your own lived experience is not necessarily the same for everyone else. It's normal to project and filter our own experience when we read other's stories, it's how people relate and understand their world. And I'm sure there are outright "manipulative" ENFPs and attention whoring ENFPs but all ENFPs are like this to such a conscious extent? Really?
    Yes, and refusing to take responsibility for it after becoming aware of it (as OP clearly has) is kind of like someone having a sweet tooth ... or even a problem with alcohol ...and continuing to binge on sweets or get drunk more often than they should while expecting to be exempted sheerly for being aware that it's something they do. No. You don't just take responsibility for it verbally, you learn to think about what you're doing to other people, and curb it in a bit.

    I think the OP was glib but i don't think she was "bragging" about how popular she was. I think the scenario you are imagining is possible, but that's not what is happening in this case. If she were consciously trying to engineer this situation, she wouldn't be surprised at the response. Of course, this could all be an elaborate ploy for more attention, but I don't think so.

    And do people really think just because someone is extraverted and 'nice' that they are looking for ego validation or are "socially engineering" situations or they want something from you? Seriously? That does underly a lot of the criticisms levelled against EXFJs here.

    Now that's *my* pet peeve and it is exactly because these kind of cynical/suspicious perspectives that the OP gets the genuinely surprised and even grateful responses. I know when I encounter an unexpectedly sympathetic/nice person I'm grateful and I have a positive view of them/the experience. It's the idea of "random acts of kindness" particularly from strangers.

    And there are SO MANY HATERS in the world it is genuinely refreshing and appreciated when someone doesn't fall into that mindset/attitude and is [any one of the following -] optimistic, cheerful, engaged, guileless, etc.

    Not everything and everyone has a sinister hidden agenda. I think in situations like the OP's the answer lies more heavily in two directions - either conscious manipulation like in Marmalade's example or else in genuine cluelessness/obliviousness. And outside of outright manipulation/hidden agendas at play, social interactions are so nuanced that your final judgement call of it reflects more of your own mindset and temperament.
    Right, and when clueless/obliviousness is REALIZED it is no longer excusable. What is excusable in an ENFP high school girl or college freshman is really not as adorable or excusable in an ENFP grown woman, IMO.

    The natural tendency to want attention is not in itself "sinister"...sinister is quite an exaggeration in any event, I never used a similar word like evil or malicious, etc....but to refuse to take responsibility for your effect on other people after you're mature and experienced enough to be aware of it is pretty arrogant and self-absorbed.

    The OP didn't strike me as being grateful for random acts of kindness either - she seemed annoyed at "hangers on" and referred to the attachments these other people made to her as "bullshit" that she's getting sick of.

  7. #67
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Bravo.

    I was just going to say this same thing, albeit in a different way.

    Whenever I hear an ENFP complaining about too much attention, I have to roll my eyes. They consciously behave in ways that draw others toward them to, and surprise, surprise, others are drawn to them. Connecting with people is something they thrive on, and yes, I'd have to say it feeds their ego to an extent. Something in them likes that they can have an effect on people, and have others adore them so. And if everyone were to stop paying attention to them today, they would be hopeless.
    It's amazing that it's one type, too, it would almost make you think that it is something to do with type, rather than attention whoring.

    I wish those introverts would stop being such losers and just get USED to the world the way it is. Everytime I hear someone talking about people draining them I just think, get over yourself and stop focusing on being introverted.

    All this to say, I agree with CzeCze. I really don't see anything awful in the OP, I have read it a few times and just don't get what the big deal is. Dealing with other people without leading them on is something an ENFP *does* have to learn.

    I've mentioned this before but I will mention it again. I was working at KFC as a 20 something and after a guy left someone said I flirted with him. I thought they were crazy since I was just nice and treated him the same way I would a female. As a teen I worked at a fabric store and acted exactly the same way I did with him toward all the female fabric store customers. He called the store and asked me out. I was floored.

    People think being nice and smiling is flirting. Since most people don't do those two things the smiling, nice ENFP looks like a flirt and sometimes has to deal with the attention that comes with it.
    Last edited by Laurie; 03-17-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: I don't think this way about introverts at all, I love 'em. Just making a point.

  8. #68
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    All types have flaws. I can't see why it's such a big deal for ENFPs to admit that it is something we can learn to control, instead of acting like it's something that just happens to us.

  9. #69
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    It's amazing that it's one type, too, it would almost make you think that it is something to do with type, rather than attention whoring.

    I wish those introverts would stop being such losers and just get USED to the world the way it is. Everytime I hear someone talking about people draining them I just think, get over yourself and stop focusing on being introverted.
    Lol.

    You've missed my point completely. And your example makes little sense in comparison with mine because my post was not about extraversion or anything inherent in the ENFP personality type, but certain behaviors that some ENFPs willingly display.

  10. #70
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Bravo.

    I was just going to say this same thing, albeit in a different way.

    Whenever I hear an ENFP complaining about too much attention, I have to roll my eyes. They consciously behave in ways that draw others toward them to, and surprise, surprise, others are drawn to them. Connecting with people is something they thrive on, and yes, I'd have to say it feeds their ego to an extent. Something in them likes that they can have an effect on people, and have others adore them so. And if everyone were to stop paying attention to them today, they would be hopeless.
    It reminds me of ridiculously attractive women who complain about how much it sucks to be ridiculously attractive.

    Sympathy level = zero.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 09:26 AM
  2. [MBTItm] I'm gonna piss a lot of people off with this thread
    By The Great One in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 03-09-2016, 03:47 PM
  3. Pot smoking mother drives off with baby on car roof
    By UniqueMixture in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM
  4. Ultimate F vs T decision... To stay with friends or not?
    By Snow Turtle in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO