• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJ and INFJ Relationships - How to Love Them

Jaguar

I can't spin it guys... I have tried.. It says what it says.. INFJs have the monopoly on the love. No one can love better than an INFJ.

It is irresponsible and insulting to both INFJs and other types and stinks of arrogance for the person who wrote and to anyone who agrees with it.

I think I have explained myself.. Why doesn't someone explain to me why my perception might be flawed instead?

On the surface, that's what it said. INFJs love you better, or more, or whatever rubbish it actually said. I don't think anything you said was flawed, it's just by nature I go beneath the surface of everything. This isn't a question of who is right or wrong, but rather a case of merely adding interpretations. Like looking at a piece of art. That's all. Do I think #20 was silly? Of course. But then doesn't love make some people silly and possibly delirious? :whistling:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The 20 point list was cute & fun :). I dont think she meant it as everyone else sucks.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't spin it guys... I have tried.. It says what it says.. INFJs have the monopoly on the love. No one can love better than an INFJ.

It is irresponsible and insulting to both INFJs and other types and stinks of arrogance for the person who wrote and to anyone who agrees with it.

I think I have explained myself.. Why doesn't someone explain to me why my perception might be flawed instead?

For me, whenever I see INFJ threads, or lists, or what-have-you, I take all of them with a huge dose of salt. Yes, I may relate to some of the bullet points on whatever list is being created, but the majority of the time I don't relate to a big chunk of others - or don't relate to the extent/intent the poster meant of them. I've been on this forum for quite some time, and have seen various incarnations of lists, and have ceased to even pay attention to half of them. I certainly don't take most of them all that seriously, because any list is going to be tainted by the personal quirks/non-mbti aspects of the individual poster.

I also tend not to take some bullet points literally, at all. Like, with number 20. My reaction to reading it was...'Eh..whatever'. I felt I knew what she meant, I thought she had good intentions and was speaking of her own personal view of love... It really didn't ruffle my feathers. I don't think it was meant in the terribly negative, 'irresponsible' light you're casting it or interpreting it through, though, which is why I just went 'Meh'.

Did #20 in any way say INFJ or the poster had a monopoly on love? That wasn't an interpretation that would have crossed my mind, in all honesty; actually I find it more interesting that you went there from the get-go. But, what could it have meant otherwise? More metaphorically, describing how powerful/strong the infj love is. And... other types might NOT love in the same way of the infj... just different ways. Equally good. But not necessarily the same. So, no one will love the way the infj loves. No one will love quite the way an infp loves. Or an enfj loves. Or an intj loves. No one will love quite the way me as an individual loves. True statement - there's only one ME in existance. :smile: That's a spin. ;)

Kind of what Jag is saying too... varying interpretations.

G

Glycerine

20 is a little unrealistic and slightly annoying but I don't really see it as a big deal.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
OK people.. I am sorry

I am also chatting with someone and they also pointed out that it is probably my personal hurt from a personal experience with an INFJ rearing it's ugly head again..
She is correct..

I am being subjectively slanted.:blush:

So it's all good .. Thank you for responding

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How can I show an E/INFJ that I care about/love him/her?

This male INFJ needs authentic interest shown in him, but not direct compliments. I can't stand praise. I you want to show me that I'm important to you, hang around... share in what I like... express interest in the things that interest me.

What are some specific things that I can do or say to "love" an E/INFJ?

Hmm; I mean, if I were to make something... an artwork or a novel or a game; I'd be prone to disbelieve you if you just said 'i love that,' out of worry that you are just trying to be nice. But if, instead, I caught you reading that novel or appreciating that artwork in a way that felt genuine (i.e., you didn't know I was there and I was seeing your TRUE interest level) I'd be all melty. Authenticity is crucial for the survival of an INFJ.

How much verbal/non-verbal affection do E/INFJ's want/need?

Depends. I want (and want to give) a ~lot~ of attention, but only from very extremely specific people. I've never particularly needed any space from anyone I value closely. On the other hand, from those outside my personal bubble, I need tons and tons of space; I mean, I recoil visibly from the touch of mere acquaintances, etc.

How can you tell if an E/INFJ likes you?

Hmm; It's been such a long time since I'd liked anyone before my current (and sadly long distance) crush, that I'm not sure I even remember any more how I handled approaching previous girlfriends. Perhaps you should take the above answers as clues; If I don't feel any kind of connect or interest in you, I'll be like a ghost in the room. I'll leave your air space entirely alone. If I do like you though, I may still leave your air space alone of out a misplaced sense of respect for your wishes (the likes of which I can only guess at... but being an 'intuitive' I can guess a LOT about what your wishes might be.) Still, if I am engaging you in any kind of conversation; if I'm spilling my guts about something that interests me... it's half out of hope that you'll be interested too, and that's a pretty good sign.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
The idea of 1% of the population having a monopoly of love spells disaster, no?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know, what about an INFJ male from a dying native race? That's like, 1% of 5 people. The world is doomed. Guess the INTJs will have to take up the slack.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Once you break the trust, it's all over, at least for me. Seriously, you get one shot, and once you screw it up, no more ENFJ for you! Once I feel like I can't trust someone, or if they've crapped on me one-too-many-times, they get moved to a circle of people who I will be polite to but won't let close to me.

Eep. That's quite scary. One-too-many-times... Is it really possible to find someone who will never hurt you/break your trust? Not even ONCE?

(I'm just musing here... no hard feelings. :thinking:)

Which makes me wonder... What does it take for one to break your trust? I'm assuming the standards must be high(er than average), since you're only giving everyone one single chance.

One thing I have noticed in my romantic relationships with INTPs is that they don't seem to need/require a lot of contact. So a week goes by (an eternity to an ENFJ), and I'm left wondering how I stand in the relationship. I *know* that everything is OK, but I do feel insecure in not having some sort of "check up", if that makes any sense. This could just be me though. But I think a surprise text/phone call/e-mail would really let your ENFJ know you care.

My relationship with the ENFJ in my life isn't a romantic one (we're both ladies and we are, more or less, friends). Either way, I recognize that problem in our relationship too... because I admittedly don't talk to the ENFJ in my life that often (I do see her every day though; I guess you could say we work at the same place). She doesn't appear to take it hard, so I've always been assuming that it's alright to leave her to herself every now and then... especially because she's surrounded by people who like her and care about her.

I do make conscious efforts to remind her that I care about her. Just a couple of days ago I sent her a short email telling her how special she was to me. The only thing that's unnerving about our relationship IMO is that while she tells me that I mean a lot to her, she rarely tries to express (the extent of) her feelings for me. Which is why I always have to question myself whether I really matter to her or not.

Any thoughts on this matter? :shrug:

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Eep. That's quite scary. One-too-many-times... Is it really possible to find someone who will never hurt you/break your trust? Not even ONCE?

(I'm just musing here... no hard feelings. :thinking:)

Which makes me wonder... What does it take for one to break your trust? I'm assuming the standards must be high(er than average), since you're only giving everyone one single chance.

Hmm. I was trying to be a bit teasing but I guess my tone didn't come off right. Here are some examples.

One work friendship I've distanced myself from lately is a women who is recently engaged. She's asked me to go wedding dress shopping with her (both times at the last minute), which I've done willingly even though she's said I'm not invited to her wedding (destination wedding with family only). She bugged me for weeks to set up a double date with this INTP I recently met, and then flaked on it at the last minute. She said that we could try for the following week, but didn't make plans. She had a temporary assignment at a different facility 30 miles away, so I figured while she was doing that she would probably be too tired to hang out or do girl's night (which we've done several times over the summer). So I didn't contact her when she was working at this different facility. When she gets back, she doesn't tell me and doesn't talk to me for two weeks and then asks me if there's something wrong? :huh: Then when I try to set up plans to go to lunch with her she always has some excuse for why she doesn't want to go.

One guy I used to date knew I was looking for a new place, and suggested to me that a friend of his in his research lab was looking for a new roommate. This move enabled me to live closer to him, but pretty much doubled my commuting time (even though it was much cheaper). The move didn't go well, the roommate and I didn't mesh well either. He dumped me three weeks later (because of an argument I had with the roommate) and I ended up moving closer to work the next month. I don't talk to him anymore.

Another guy I used to date used me to move closer to his work (basically I let him move in 'temporarily' and then he didn't tell me when he found a new place), then dumped me. We were involved in a gaming group together, and I got pushed out of the gaming group after the dumping. A woman who I introduced to the group (who I would hang out with regularly - at least twice a month) let the friendship fall apart and eventually moved across the country. She let a year go by without talking to me and then when she decided she could use me for a security reference she e-mailed me to ask. This was after multiple attempts on my part to call, text, e-mail, etc. otherwise ask how she was doing after her move.

Another guy I had a "friends-with-benefits" relationship with was consistently flaky; would set up dates and cancel them at the last minute multiple times before I finally called the whole thing off.

One INTP I dated and I parted on what I thought were good terms. I found out shortly after the breakup that he hid a significant portion of his life from me. When I asked him about it he said that not only was he never going to tell me, but that he thought I knew about it anyway. This particular INTP always made a big deal about being "self-aware" and was into learning about human consciousness and taking care of "his half of the relationship".

I put up with a lot of crap before I write someone off. I know a lot of it is *my* fault because I put up with it, but it's not like they do one minor thing that pisses me off and I say I'm through. If I don't feel someone values me in their life I don't stick around.

My relationship with the ENFJ in my life isn't a romantic one (we're both ladies and we are, more or less, friends). Either way, I recognize that problem in our relationship too... because I admittedly don't talk to the ENFJ in my life that often (I do see her every day though; I guess you could say we work at the same place). She doesn't appear to take it hard, so I've always been assuming that it's alright to leave her to herself every now and then... especially because she's surrounded by people who like her and care about her.

I do make conscious efforts to remind her that I care about her. Just a couple of days ago I sent her a short email telling her how special she was to me. The only thing that's unnerving about our relationship IMO is that while she tells me that I mean a lot to her, she rarely tries to express (the extent of) her feelings for me. Which is why I always have to question myself whether I really matter to her or not.

Any thoughts on this matter? :shrug:

Words from an ENFJ aren't just lip service. If she said that you mean a lot to her, your friendship does matter to her. What kind of expression do you want from her? Maybe she feels that her affectionate bubbly self would be off-putting to you?

It's not that hard to maintain a friendship with an ENFJ. Meeting for coffee or lunch with greater frequency than once a month will suffice, although for me I'd like to meet with my closest friends once a week. If she feels you don't have the time for her she may or may not try to revive the friendship, and if she's felt rejected multiple times she won't try at all.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
About Bullet point 20 that had me so much up in arms..

Some self pondering as well as bouncing the idea off another NFJ has caused me to consider this..

There might be something to point 20 after all.. This is not to say that NFJ's love is better than anyone else's..

I look around this site. I think about my own life, and something starts to jump out at me.

NFJs leave people devastated after a break up.

All the threads and posts about ENFJs and INFJs and people seeking understanding and even comfort.
So much confusion and a total feeling that some part of you is lost without this other person's love in your life anymore.

I have been on both sides of it.. I have seen the devastation I have caused others by retracting my love and I have lived the devastation of having that love retracted from myself.

Certainly an interesting perspective.. and a little unsettling.

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It's not possible to find someone who'll never have a bad day or make a mistake... it is possible to find someone who'll have bad days and make mistakes in regards to minor things like forgetting an appointment or wrecking the car or spilling the milk... but won't ever cheat or do anything intentionally to hurt you. And as long as it's not selfish/intentional, it can be resolved. At that point it's up to both parties to be understanding, conceding, and forgiving.

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As an INFJ, I could have been satisfied if #20 simply said 'more than' instead of 'as much.' INFJs do love very deeply, but I don't think I need a monopoly on that. =)

tortoise

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's not possible to find someone who'll never have a bad day or make a mistake... it is possible to find someone who'll have bad days and make mistakes in regards to minor things like forgetting an appointment or wrecking the car or spilling the milk... but won't ever cheat or do anything intentionally to hurt you. And as long as it's not selfish/intentional, it can be resolved. At that point it's up to both parties to be understanding, conceding, and forgiving.

My INFJ ex would never ever have cheated on me or lied -- she is very honest. However, she could not handle people making unintentional mistakes and would come down hard on the people close to her for the smallest things.

xXMariahXx

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dear INTP, ^^

It all depends on the individual's.. individuality - as no two E/INFJ's are the same. An important thing to take into consideration is the love language of the E/INFJ. I highly recommend reading the book, "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary D. Chapman.

I can only give you my personal answer to your questions, as an ENFJ. And, I must inform you that I have Borderline Personality Disorder, so it's possible for that to affect some of my responses.

How can I show an E/INFJ that I care about/love him/her?

I feel most loved when someone spends time with me one-on-one, caring to know about me and understand me (takes time to ask questions/genuinely listen). I also feel loved if the person shares the depth of themself as well. I want to be known but I also want to know. If someone opens up to me to share something personal, I feel trusted, therefore worthy, therefore loved. My primary love language is "quality time," so I can't be sure that this is a trait of ENFJ's in general.

How much verbal/non-verbal affection do E/INFJ's want/need?

I feel loved when someone voices to me words of affirmation or approval. I think verbal affection is very important to an ENFJ, especially a fairly unhealthy one like me. If I'm not verbally affirmed, my mind will tend to gravitate to negative beliefs about how I'm perceived by others. ENFJ's care a lot about people and also care how they're received by people. It's important to them to feel liked. Your verbal affirmation reassures them that they are liked and that all is well interpersonally with you. As far as the amount needed of verbal affirmation/affection, a little can go quite a way for me, every now and then is fine. It's the quality time that I need on a consistent basis. I believe it all comes down to the person's primary love language. Figure that out, and you're golden. And as far as non-verbal affection, again, I think it goes back to finding out which love language(s) a person prefers.

How can you tell if an E/INFJ likes you?

As a sexual/social ENFJ, if I like someone as a person, my attention will be focused in on them in total intrigue. I'm likely to try to engage them in some way. I might feel preoccupied with them liking me back, so may not be my true self at first. Likely to be more of what I think they'd want me to be.

If I like someone in a romantic way, I'm usually shy and nervous, behave more demurely than my true self, might attempt to impress them if given the opportunity, and may find myself engaging in subtle flirting.

I hope this post helps!

P.S. I love you INTP's. We're a mystery to each other.