User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

You learn and adjust. Find meaning where you can. And you discover why it is others consider this standard to be perfect and perhaps even gain insights you'd never dreamed of in doing so.

Bc, dude, you make being a 4 sound sooo appealing...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Because you believe in it and self belief is fantastic!
    Also i find other NF's have similar ideals to me
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I definitely see myself as an idealistic person, and always have, even before I even got into MBTI. If I had to sum myself up in one word, it would be "idealistic".

Idealism to me is having a vision of what would be perfect, seeing things as they should be over how they are. Sometimes it's an unattainable vision that is more of a motivating idea than a real goal, and other times it is imagining a "best case scenario". There is a valuing of what you can imagine over what is real, because what is real is limited.

Idealism can make you out-of-touch with reality, but it can also make you innovative and spur you to strive for the best in the long-term instead of accepting what is simply good enough right now. It also tends to make you value what is in the mind over what is physical, because you see everything as starting with an idea and then being realized eventually, which is why you may always hold tight to these ideals, no matter how impossible, as you figure that everything began that way.

I find ideals to be fluid and broad at times. There's a general feeling I want to stay in accord with, but iNuition allows you to see many avenues that can satisfy the feeling. So there are often many ideals for any given situation, not just one ideal. Or there can be a hierarchy of ideals, where one would be the ultimate best, yet others would still be satisfactory.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Alas, no more "let's make the world a better place" *******t. :P

MBTI
    INFJ

Idealism, to me, is something that makes living in this world hard. Hardly anyone ever gets you. They don't know why you're easy to get along with when you forget their birthday or smash their hand in a door but no idea why you're so upset when you judge someone behind their back.

You can be an idealist with poor ideals yes. But you stick to those ideals, they motivate you, inspire you, give you a reason for breathing. I look at so many people in the day and wonder just what makes them want to live. Without idealism, and the potential for life-altering epiphanies and striving for perfectionism, I'd find little to make life enjoyable honestly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Make it an ideal for yourself that you become a person who loves the world and the people in it even if they disappoint you, because it's good to be alive and get to participate, and part of life is disappointment.

Idealism is like being in a perpetual state of giving birth, yearning so hard to manifest a vision.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Make it an ideal for yourself that you become a person who loves the world and the people in it even if they disappoint you, because it's good to be alive and get to participate, and part of life is disappointment.

Idealism is like being in a perpetual state of giving birth, yearning so hard to manifest a vision.
    Tell me about it. I know that feeling all too well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Glycerine

high hopes and dreams until reality sets in and crushes it. You either keep pushing though or become a cynic. It's so hard not to become a cynic. The best bet is to become a realistic idealist.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

For comical value only
    Being and NF IS a gift it is NOT a disibility. Oh the beauty of being able to laugh at ones self,
    and others.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    high hopes and dreams until reality sets in and crushes it. You either keep pushing though or become a cynic. It's so hard not to become a cynic. The best bet is to become a realistic idealist.
    That explains the NF pretty well for me. Other types strike me as much more sentimental, even sappy (yes, even the Thinkers) when they're in NF territory. They just don't work with it as much as we do and they're pretty naive about the whole thing!