User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Depression?

Rainy Day Member

Some do have more of a genetic predisposition to it than others, most likely to do with serotonin levels (which was mentioned above). However our inherent personalities are also thought to be determined by our levels of things like serotonin, testosterone, estrogen, dopamine. There might be some correlation.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

My official "label" is episodic major depression, although aparently i have bi-polar acording to the long term therapist i used to see.
    I have to say it's all in the past for me since i have been sober for nearly 2 1/2 years.
    However, i can honestly say that when i have been in previous states of depression it was bleak, with ever present thoughts, and attempts of suicide. Very frightening to look back on because it seems like a different person, there is honestly no concievable way i can relate to that now. It feels like someone elses past not mine.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i have been depressed once and that time changed my whole existance profoundly. i've never been the same. it lasted around two years. i was 20 when it started and the worst period lasted for 4-6 months. it got better gradually, but i was still shaky inside. it ended at 22, as i got used to the new me and got a real grip from life again... i don't mean that i was sad for 2 years. there were good times, too, and i was trying.

it's never been the same for me, though. i am so different than before that and at times feel very isolated. i'm not depressed anymore, but i get these periods of deep melancholy. sometimes i feel ok about it, but other times it's like this heavy burden i carry around that no one else sees... it's kind of hard to explain the feeling. it's like this deep, deep loneliness.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i have been depressed once and that time changed my whole existance profoundly. i've never been the same. it lasted around two years. i was 20 when it started and the worst period lasted for 4-6 months. it got better gradually, but i was still shaky inside. it ended at 22, as i got used to the new me and got a real grip from life again... i don't mean that i was sad for 2 years. there were good times, too, and i was trying.

it's never been the same for me, though. i am so different than before that and at times feel very isolated. i'm not depressed anymore, but i get these periods of deep melancholy. sometimes i feel ok about it, but other times it's like this heavy burden i carry around that no one else sees... it's kind of hard to explain the feeling. it's like this deep, deep loneliness.
    what caused all of this to happen?

Phantonym

Sorry to hear that. I understand the feeling very well. I don't remember a time when it has not been with me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I went through 3 long clinical depressions from 19-23, each separated by a few months. The darkest years of my life. Oddly, I didn't know what "depression" was at the time or that I needed psychiatric help. I thought I was being punished for being a horrible person & that grief was my "penance" for it. Yeah, raised by disfunctional rednecks so I didn't know. Years later I learned about chemical imbalances in the brain & got on Prozac when depression returned after a divorce. What a difference! Knowledge is power. Now, I sometimes need a maintenance dose of 5mg of generic Pazil for a few weeks if I start hitting bottom, which happens 2-3 times a year. I recognise the symptoms now. They can gradually sneek up on me if I'm not watching for them.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

yeah I think it can change people forever.. I don't think I am ever going to be the same either.. it forces you to look deep inside and that can have incredible effects on who you think you are..

MBTI
    enfp

i've actually never had a problem with depression

its really hard for me to get depressed.

i was depressed once in 2001, for about 4 months. but after that, its been pretty cool for the most parts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

so it kinda like, fricks your live over?
    how did you guys get past it?
    like when you should feel happy, did you?
    i dont think ive ever felt as bad as i do now. the single event that could have changed my life for the better just happened a few days ago. i sure as fck know i should be happy right now but honest to god i cant focus on anything but negativity.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    so it kinda like, fricks your live over?
    how did you guys get past it?
    like when you should feel happy, did you?
    i dont think ive ever felt as bad as i do now. the single event that could have changed my life for the better just happened a few days ago. i sure as fck know i should be happy right now but honest to god i cant focus on anything but negativity.

I know the feeling, and I just had to ride the bad times out. there wasnt anything that I could do. I did get better, much better. Just know that there are better days in front of you!