First 1234 Last

Thread: Depression?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm mildly depressive, but I'd say less so than my INTP.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

use to be as a teenager, but I think most of it was because I had pretty bad acne and couldn't seem to get rid of it no matter how hard I tried. I don't get depressed more than what's 'normal' now a days. If I do it's mild.

MBTI
    INFJ

My depression is pretty much clinical... it appears when it wants to. BUT, the 2 or 3 bad bouts I've had of depression relates to the same sort of feeling... times where I feel hopeless and worthless. After college and unemployed for instance. Had artistic blocks, not helping anyone really, the entire day passed with no purpose. So yeah the NF aspect is there,... but otherwise it's probably mostly genetic. My family loves having mental issues. :P

The short answer though is that yes NFs are prone to depression. We think about the human condition too much. It's like the holy men who people pay alms to because they respect the men for openly exposing themselves to the cold truths of mankind that they choose to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    My depression is pretty much clinical... it appears when it wants to. BUT, the 2 or 3 bad bouts I've had of depression relates to the same sort of feeling... times where I feel hopeless and worthless. After college and unemployed for instance. Had artistic blocks, not helping anyone really, the entire day passed with no purpose. So yeah the NF aspect is there,... but otherwise it's probably mostly genetic. My family loves having mental issues. :P

The short answer though is that yes NFs are prone to depression. We think about the human condition too much. It's like the holy men who people pay alms to because they respect the men for openly exposing themselves to the cold truths of mankind that they choose to ignore.
    I relate to the above statement. I also get depressed when I feel like other people are controlling my environment too much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

As a teenager, I spent a lot of time either sobbing or feeling so angry that I thought something would explode; very rare was the week when I didn't have at least one violent mood swing and several smaller ones. My depression has gotten milder as time has gone on, though. For the most part, what I deal with now is a combination of low self-esteem and a lack of emotional and physical energy. This makes for a less dramatic life, but I would almost rather go back to the old way of feeling strongly.

As for my advice, the first question I would ask is whether you really want to stop feeling depressed in the first place. Most people do not; what people want is to correct the source of their depression, whether by ridding themselves of something they reject or getting a hold of something they desire. To tell such people to try and feel happier is like telling someone to ignore the pain radiating from a wound. That pain is not a nuisance; it's a signal from your body that something is wrong. This is the way it is with most forms of depression, and so rather than focus on the feeling itself, what most people need to do is ask themselves what's wrong and find ways to cope with it.

Many doctors will rush to the medicine cabinet, but pills should come as a last resort; unless you have some sort of chemical imbalance, all they do is numb you to whatever is wrong and give you an excuse to ignore it. This can lead to bigger problems down the road, both in relation to the issue you're neglecting and the fact that it makes it easier for you to expect magical solutions to everything. Today you might be at the doctor for a happy pill, tomorrow you might come back for a pill to make you concentrate, and before you know it, you're a walking pharmacy without an ounce of self-discipline.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram

Sometimes, people want to explore this other side to themselfs and see how deep it goes. When people usally get sad, they try to find to problem so they go deep inside themselfs for a moment and come back...but however, some go so deep into darkness that they can never seem to find their way back...
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

MBTI
    INFJ

Some days I'm somber, other days I'm happy to a point where nothing but the gravest of things can change my mood. I feel what I feel, and I hate putting on a mask for people when what I feel isn't what they want to see.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

i was diagnosed with Bipolar when I was 19 and was put on lithium, it never helped with the depressive states. I had to really work with my self and my phycologist to help with that. but it seems that when ever I get emotionally distraught, it feels like there is nothing I can do. just keep in there, life is beautiful, I promise

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think this is much more of an inherited tendency and related to a person's serotonin levels than having anything to do with type. It's a chemical/biological thing. (depression that is)

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know about depressed. Melancholic and a miserable bastard, yes.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."