User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Everyone is idiosyncratic and has their own definitions of cleanliness.

When it comes to me touching other people (make-up/hair) or their food, I'm very conscientious as I feel responsible. I wash my hands and change gloves upon touching 'contaminants', I use disposable applicators and actually dispose of them after 1 use, I don't double dip, I do use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available.

My idiosyncrasy is that I'm very aware of all the germs crawling over public surfaces like door handles, telephone receivers, faucets. I try to use a napkin to turn the faucet off and open the restroom door upon exiting (or else use my pinky).

I greatly prefer not to share utensils or drinks with people -- I'm all about cooties this way. I would also NEVER grab ANYTHING or even sort through the garbage can, I don't care if the garbage can is 'new' or if it was only there for 5 seconds.

BUT -- otherwise, yeah I probably do (or don't) do things that make others cringe.

EX 1: I like dogs so I don't mind doggie slobber (I'm not gonna french my dog though ) I once had to reach into a dog's mouth at a picnic (didn't know the dog) to get chicken bones out of its mouth lest it choke. My friend laughed at me because she thought it was gross -- and she's the one who gave the bones to the dog!

EX 2: I LOVE street food and is one thing I look forward to when travelling abroad. I'll eat food that's been sitting out. I eat at a lot of hole in the wall restaurants -- those generally have questionable sanitation. I used to live in a country where Hepatitis C is common (through saliva i.e. sharing food, utensils) and now autoclaves are common sights at fast food joints.

Overall I have a pretty strong stomach, and I agree, if it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger. The acids in your stomach kill most cooties, yes? I rarely get sick, maybe 1x a year. Your body needs a chance to build up antibodies. And as long as no one is PURPOSELY doing something disgusting to my food, I'm pretty okay being oblivious.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Is it that ENFPs aren't scared enough or that everyone else is too scared?

Targo is correct in that ENTPs are as bad if not worse than them in this. I'm no exception, and I never get sick. Ever. Perhaps not washing your hands deprives your immune system of 'target practice' as it were, eliminating opportunity to develop and perfect a system of antibodies.

But, I'm not biologist.
    I tend to agree. I get sick very rarely - maybe once a year with the sniffles. And that's it.

But I don't usually take any particular caution with germs and such (although I'm a clean enough person), except for specific situations like when I'm at work and some person who is sniffling and sneezing and so OBVIOUSLY ILL wipes their nose on their hand before handing me their credit card. Eww. I feel disgusted and vow to wash my hands before I go and have lunch that day. (Except I have, to date, never remembered to do this.)

I also have a couple of habits (like not putting my handbag on the floor of the bathroom and not using the hot blowdryer after washing my hands - instead wiping them on my clothes!!) that are slightly cleanly, I suppose, but nothing obsessive.

Don't care about sharing food, or even drink. No biggie. I also don't pay particular attention to food that's fresh or not when ordering - it could have been sitting out all day. *shrug* And I totally kiss my cat all the time, or let him slobber on me. He does have fish breath, though.

I do tend to believe that most of the world is too scared about things like this.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    WOLF

So happy people enjoyed the spider story

After seeing all the other ENFP answers I'm finding several things to agree with.

Despite being a bit of a slob according to 'normal' standards, I am amazingly popular at muddy multiple-day festivals, since I bring insane amounts of hand sanitizer, sanitizing tissues, normal tissues, plasters and stuff like that with me everywhere (something the average beer-drinking guy doesn't). This might just be because I'm a girly makeup-obsessed freak, though

Heh, and I never get sick after eating the same things as someone else who does get food poisoning. It does indeed pay to attack your immune system with questionable food regularly.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I once walked out of a bathroom with an ENFP. we were in africa. africa, in case you did not know, is very dirty. i went to wash my hands, she went to walk out.

i called her on it. "aren't you going to wash your hands?!"

she shrugs, answers, "it's not like I peed all over them" and continues to walk out.

(at least if you get caught wash your hands. aarugh.)
    its because we love them and couldn't hurt them ....*sigh*

MBTI
    XXXX

Germs are people too! Hehe, this thread cracks me up. I eat others' half-eaten leftovers all the time, and stuff from the floor. So long as it ain't dirt-crunchy and gross, or moldy, who cares!

Although, it's worth noting that I doubted the existence of germs until I saw 'em under a microscope. If I don't perceive something, it isn't real; what I see, rather, is a perfectly good sandwich in need of dusting.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyshackles View Post
    Germs are people too! Hehe, this thread cracks me up. I eat others' half-eaten leftovers all the time, and stuff from the floor. So long as it ain't dirt-crunchy and gross, or moldy, who cares!

Although, it's worth noting that I doubted the existence of germs until I saw 'em under a microscope. If I don't perceive something, it isn't real; what I see, rather, is a perfectly good sandwich in need of dusting.
    I know some people like that. They are brave people.

I won't eat any leftovers that are older than a day. Even then it has to be completely sealed in an airtight container.

One thing I will admit is strange. I won't finish a sandwich that I have put down on my plate for more than 30 seconds. Because I will have to examine it when I pick it back up and I will see teeth marks I get kind of sick. It only works for sandwiches and I don’t know why.

I can't drink milk or dairy after anyone not even my wife. I can drink most anything else after my wife but not milk. It's gross.

I can never eat anything a child has handed me.

I can't eat after anyone. Not in a box, not with a fox, not in a tree. Never!

Once a girlfriend stuck her gum in my mouth while we kissed. I puked.

I kick bathroom doors open with my feet for fear of whats someone has left behind. If I can't get through without a kick I search for a paper towel to open it with. Then if that happens I am constantly wondering if any particles from a flush could have contaminated the paper towel. I will feel better only after I find some other place to wash my hands.

I've never counted but I'm sure I wash my hands 20 times a day.

MBTI
    ENFP

haha, you T's are sooo funny!

I always appologize before i wash my hands, I think germs love me too, I am rarely ill, and when I'm bad, enjoying the lazy days in bed being waited on hand and foot, after i get fed up, I politely mention for them it's now ok to leave and move on....
    and they do.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Every ENFP I know is very laid back when it comes to eating stuff of the floor, washing their hands, etc.

Why do you not fear germs like a normal person? Is this just a trend in the small number of ENFPs I know?
    Hey, I don't care about eating stuff from the floor!

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Supposing you get ill... so what? You're building your immune system!

I absolutely do not care about eating whatever comes from who's mouth or whoever has touched it. Look, I'm still alive an healthy! Yay!

Besides, very interesting experiments have been done on eating food from the floor of a university campus. Guess what? It didn't change anything really!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Guess what? It didn't change anything really!
    I'm having trouble with this. I'm not sure if I understand the meaning here.

If the sentence was meant to mean that nothing changed and the "really" was added to emphasize that nothing changed. I would be skeptical.

If the really was to indicate that not much changed then its the not much that worries me.

I know I’m not the only person to have this conversation before about hand washing but just in case you have never been through it let me give an example of what happened to me once.

I knew a guy that never washed his hands and on this day we happened to go to the restroom at the same time so I know he wasn't suddenly stricken with a need to be hygienic. He left without washing his hands again.

We walked to the break room where we met with another co-worker already sitting down. The first guy went to the vending machine and returned with a bag of M & M's and offered the other co-worker some of the M & M's he poured into his hand.

I tried to signal to the guy with my eyes that it was a bad idea but he didn't notice. When he offered me some M & M's I lied and told him I didn't like them. He asked "Didn't I see you eating some yesterday?"

Still wanting to be polite I said "Nope. Must have been someone else. I don't like M & Ms. Never had, Never will."

"Yeah I did. I know you were because I saw you. What? You don't want it because I touched it?"

"No, I just didn't want any."

"Then why did you say you didn't like M & M's"

I mean I didn't want to say anything. I just didn't want to be force fed these M & Ms. I appreciate the fact that he wanted to share and I didn't mean to offend the guy but I didn't want to eat that M & M. I searched around my head trying to avoid saying what the real reason was. I knew it was going to put him on the defensive and hurt his feeling a little but I just couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Because... To be honest I happened to see that you didn't wash your hands when you were in the bathroom." Which caused my friend that was sitting with me to spit the M & M he was chewing out of his mouth.

I was willing to let it drop there. All he had to do was leave it alone. But I knew it was going to come to this when he started sharing. So I already knew what his next sentence would be.

"So. I didn't pee on my fingers."

"Ok. Let me put it this way. Do you like chocolate cake? "

"Yes"

"Would you eat a piece of chocolate cake if I offered it to you while carrying it on top of my dick?"

"Hell no!"

"And I don't want eat M & Ms served with one either."

I still don't know how that doesn't change the mind of someone.

MBTI
    INFP

Default Thankfully she retired a couple of years ago...

We had a woman in my office that never washed her hands after she used the bathroom. I would put signs up all over and still nothing. *hello?*

During holidays, she would bring food in along with the rest of us. Those who knew she never washed her hands would NEVER eat what she brought in, and of course, there were those who just didn't care.

The thing is, she always had so much left over, so she would try to push it on everyone. What she brought in always looked so good, but I could never bring myself to try it, so I would just politely refuse... saying that I was getting full.

She also had this hacking cough, thoughtfully covering her mouth with her hands. I figured her hands were just filled with those nasty germs!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters