User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

I've seen some of my coworkers use the bathroom and then walk straight out. I've also seen people put their babies on the pissy bathroom floor to change their diapers. I really dislike when people give me food straight from their hands because I don't know where they've been.

Please don't tell me these things are cute ENFP quirks. The use of antiseptics is a major deterrent in the spreading of communicable disease. This could all come tumbling down because an ENFP really wants that oreo that rolled across the floor.

@ Vortex: /about the spider!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP

No, I wasn't talking to you. I mean, I wasn't specifically talking to you. You are clearly one of the people I am talking to, since you read my post. Actually I haven't read anything in this thread past the OP. And much of your post addressing my post, since it quoted my post. OCD is a bit of a strange disorder that I have trouble believing.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

A good ENFP friend of mine lived here with my roommate and I for a while, about 6 months later my roommate kicked him out because he just made a mess, leaving food out on the hutches and living room, sometimes letting it fall on the floor, etc. Shame too 'cause he was a great friend to have around (he was over this weekend, and reminded me yet again why having him around is guaranteed to be a blast of a good time...)

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    No, I wasn't talking to you. I mean, I wasn't specifically talking to you. You are clearly one of the people I am talking to, since you read my post. Actually I haven't read anything in this thread past the OP. And much of your post addressing my post, since it quoted my post. OCD is a bit of a strange disorder that I have trouble believing.
    Ah, sorry about the mix-up. Out of curiosity, what is it about OCD that you do not understand?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is it about OCD that you do not understand?
    I guess the ritualistic nature of it, and how people (specifically NPs) can become distressed if they stray from that pattern. Also, how people (especially NPs) can apparently alleviate distress if they follow their rituals. I've never knowingly met someone with OCD, so most of my knowledge of the disorder stems from popular culture. As Good As It Gets springs instantly to mind.

I guess the ritualistic nature of it, and how people (specifically NPs) can become distressed if they stray from that pattern. Also, how people (especially NPs) can apparently alleviate distress if they follow their rituals. I've never knowingly met someone with OCD, so most of my knowledge of the disorder stems from popular culture. As Good As It Gets springs instantly to mind.
    It is a very bad idea to gain one's perspective on OCD through the media. It is almost ALWAYS portrayed in an incorrect way. You see, most of it takes place inside your head. The rituals are only a small fraction of OCD. What happens is first, a disturbing image comes to mind. You try to ignore it, but the more you try, the more you end up thinking about it (sort of how if you try to ignore the ticking of a clock, the more you notice it). These images usually revolve around something terrible and bad happening. In my case, it revolves around becoming ill. You end up thinking about the specific thought so much to the point of tremendous anxiety and torment. You are unable to do anything, except worry about the disturbing thought. You must do something to distract yourself from the thought--to soothe yourself. Since in my case the fear relates to illness, the rituals are usually relating to hand washing. Almost all OCD rituals are related to some numerical pattern. The thing is, though, you don't actually want to follow these pointless rituals. This is how NPs (like myself) may end up having OCD. It's not that they want to follow these rituals. They have to. Otherwise, you would have a psychological breakdown or a panic attack.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    It is a very bad idea to gain one's perspective on OCD through the media. It is almost ALWAYS portrayed in an incorrect way. You see, most of it takes place inside your head. The rituals are only a small fraction of OCD. What happens is first, a disturbing image comes to mind. You try to ignore it, but the more you try, the more you end up thinking about it (sort of how if you try to ignore the ticking of a clock, the more you notice it). These images usually revolve around something terrible and bad happening. In my case, it revolves around becoming ill. You end up thinking about the specific thought so much to the point of tremendous anxiety and torment. You are unable to do anything, except worry about the disturbing thought. You must do something to distract yourself from the thought--to soothe yourself. Since in my case the fear relates to illness, the rituals are usually relating to hand washing. Almost all OCD rituals are related to some numerical pattern. The thing is, though, you don't actually want to follow these pointless rituals. This is how NPs (like myself) may end up having OCD. It's not that they want to follow these rituals. They have to. Otherwise, you would have a psychological breakdown or a panic attack.
    Can't you do something else to distract you? Like start a fight, or drive ridiculously fast, or do something else that is stupidly dangerous? Would that work? I find that extreme danger tends to cause a lot of previous preoccupations to slip my mind completely. My cathartic activity of choice is longboarding in situations which have very very little margin for error.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm not an ENFP, but I'm not afraid of germs at all either! I ate street food as soon as I set foot in Brazil and was fine, I eat things that have been sitting around as long as they aren't stale and don't have mold on them (that I notice- I've been unpleasantly surprized before!), I eat what's been dropped on the floor and I've been known to finish other people's drinks at bars (if I knew the person!)

Horrible, yes, but I'm alive and healthy!

I look at it as that I'm building up an excellent immune system!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Every ENFP I know is very laid back when it comes to eating stuff of the floor, washing their hands, etc.

Why do you not fear germs like a normal person? Is this just a trend in the small number of ENFPs I know?
    Heh, "Why do you not fear germs like a normal person?" I think this statement assumes that IxxJ's are normal people. Another question is why do IxxJ's worry so much about germs? Generally you only need to worry about germs if you have a cut or are ingesting something. Beyond that it's largely irrational. Even in the case of ingestion saliva and stomach acids kill most germs. Beyond some very simple precautionary measures germs are not worth worrying about unless you are in the medical profession.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Can't you do something else to distract you? Like start a fight, or drive ridiculously fast, or do something else that is stupidly dangerous? Would that work? I find that extreme danger tends to cause a lot of previous preoccupations to slip my mind completely. My cathartic activity of choice is longboarding in situations which have very very little margin for error.
    If I were to do something along those lines, the thoughts would come back after I am finished. The rituals are always connected to the fear, regardless of how random and pointless they seem to the outside observer. It is not mere distraction from the fear one would want, but rather to be completely and forever revealed from the fear in question. There is sort of a driving force behind the rituals. You hate them, they are pointless, they waste time, etc. but something drives you to do them. If you do not act on this drive, the anxiety builds up inside oneself.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp