• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] How do you get in tune with yourself?

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
I often wonder if this is just me, but I always feel like there's a part of me that's uninvolved in my cosmic experience.
to get in tune with my self I:
Discover new places on foot.
Listen to music.
Reread Poetry or scripture, or discover new poems.
I try and connect on a more intimate level with another person. Try to understand the depths of them that some people don't always see.

Anyone have a favorite poem? song? My post about movies got me thinking about this.
I would like to hear about what inspires you and why.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Going outside. Preferably in some woods, with a creek.

The Celestine Prophecy/Tenth Insight/(and especially!) The Secret of Shambhalla by James Redfield

or just re-reading the descriptions for my type. infj.com is pretty awesome for that too. A good reminder of what I could be doing rather than wasting away on the internet. >.>

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know what "getting in tune with myself" means.
And I don't know why I would want to do it.
Would someone explain?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Would someone explain?

It could mean a lot of different things, but I think it means finding something that "resonates" with you.

Here are examples of songs:

Land of Confusion

Burning Heart

The Reflex

Is There Something I Should Know

Fallen Angel

Crystal Ball

And here are quotes:

"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." -- Talmud

"I think, therefore I am." -- Rene Descartes

"I don't care about what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do." -- Gene Kranz

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." -- Issac Newton

"Men walk almost always in the paths trodden by others, proceeding in their actions by imitation." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

Usehername

On a mission
Would someone explain?

I don't get it either.

I feel like I'm always in tune with myself.

Reality? That's another question.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't get it either.

I feel like I'm always in tune with myself.

Reality? That's another question.
I was just starting to wonder that myself.
I think maybe I'm always in tune with the core of myself, but not necessarily in touch with my feelings.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I "take a nap", but really it's me lying there wide awake daydreaming with my eyes closed.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I talk to trees.

Ouch, I got neg repped for this comment and I was being completely honest. :cry:

I really do go out and talk to trees when I'm trying to get in tune with myself. I've mentioned that before on this forum.

From what I can tell already, neg rep is what people use when they are too cowardly to confront you directly. :tongue10:

Usehername

On a mission
I can't function without my fake nap. =(

lol me either!! at least 20 minutes a day after supper, plus the hour bus ride home after school.

saturday morning? i "sleep in" till 11 am sometimes. (so what if i'm awake by 7:30?!)

edit: okay new thread about the Fake Nap.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
lol me either!! at least 20 minutes a day after supper, plus the hour bus ride home after school.

saturday morning? i "sleep in" till 11 am sometimes. (so what if i'm awake by 7:30?!)

edit: okay new thread about the Fake Nap.

YES! I wake up early and "fake nap" (8-ish) for a couple of hours or so, lol.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
For me the things that reconnect and inspire me are:

- Sitting by the sea. Just sitting, as close to the waves as I can get, usually on an old log. There's something about the rhythm of the surf that is like a heartbeat, or breathing. I wonder if it's the closest simulation of the womb we have once we are 'out.' Anyway, it slows my heartbeat, slows my breathing, slows my thoughts. It's vastness reminds me of both my smallness and my significance, it's consistency gives me hope. I always leave better off than I was when I arrived.

- Walking in nature. It's not just the green beauty around me. There is something about walking a path arched with trees that portends mystery and 'the great unknown' to me... what's around that next bend up ahead? It fills me with a sense of creative anticipation. It's also the rhythm of movement, of steady walking*.

- I do like the poems of ee cummings and Rumi. Both of them seem to put me into a transcendent zone.

- I love watching art shows: "Voices and Visions" about poets, "Egg the art show" when it was on, "Simon Shauma's The Power of Art", "Art of the Western World" when it was on, and currently: "Art in the 21st Century." There is something about hearing about the creative development, practice, and discipline of other artists that inspires me.

Oops, one more:

- Dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, and to a much lesser extent small children. These playful critters instantly connect me to my childlike self, the one which is full of optimism, play, openhearted acceptance, and joy. I need at least a weekly dose to keep me going. We have none of these ourselves, so I do have to make an effort to make this connection. I will say that cuddling with my partner will suffice in a pinch.

* They've actually done studies about EMDR and they found that any rhythmic, alternating left-right pattern of touch can calm the mind of anxiety. Here are some links:
- METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR INDUCING ALTERNATING TACTILE STIMULATIONS - Patent 20020035995
- BioPsychoSocial Medicine | Full text | Effect of juggling therapy on Anxiety Disorders in female patients.
- Performance anxiety and many aspects

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
I must try t his fake nap thing.

For me the things that reconnect and inspire me are:

- Sitting by the sea. Just sitting, as close to the waves as I can get, usually on an old log. There's something about the rhythm of the surf that is like a heartbeat, or breathing. I wonder if it's the closest simulation of the womb we have once we are 'out.' Anyway, it slows my heartbeat, slows my breathing, slows my thoughts. It's vastness reminds me of both my smallness and my significance, it's consistency gives me hope. I always leave better off than I was when I arrived.

- Walking in nature. It's not just the green beauty around me. There is something about walking a path arched with trees that portends mystery and 'the great unknown' to me... what's around that next bend up ahead? It fills me with a sense of creative anticipation. It's also the rhythm of movement, of steady walking*.

- I do like the poems of ee cummings and Rumi. Both of them seem to put me into a transcendent zone.

- I love watching art shows: "Voices and Visions" about poets, "Egg the art show" when it was on, "Simon Shauma's The Power of Art", "Art of the Western World" when it was on, and currently: "Art in the 21st Century." There is something about hearing about the creative development, practice, and discipline of other artists that inspires me.

* They've actually done studies about EMDR and they found that any rhythmic, alternating left-right pattern of touch can calm the mind of anxiety. Here are some links:
- METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR INDUCING ALTERNATING TACTILE STIMULATIONS - Patent 20020035995
- BioPsychoSocial Medicine | Full text | Effect of juggling therapy on Anxiety Disorders in female patients.
- Performance anxiety and many aspects

Anii. interesting that you should bring up anxiety and alternating left-right pattern of touch, tapping etc. I have an anxiety disorder that has been greatly relieve by seeing someone who uses this method, just in the last 2 weeks he has helped me so much. I feel like I'm getting back to my old self.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If you are recalling a traumatic event, I heard that closing your eyes and moving your eyes left and right, back and forth, helps.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
helps to avoid it or helps to recall it?

It helps to lessen the emotional impact of the memory as a trigger. So that the next time you are confronted by a trigger, it has less effect on your stress response system. Usually, a trigger in PTSD will set off a whole series of physical/emotional/behavioral events, which cause significant social or emotional distress.