User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default the differences between INTP and INFP

as an INxP i am very curious about this. i've tested as both and i don't really know which type i identify better. i'm also not a very strong I, so that probably also affects my personality. i have always been introverted, though, more as a child than now, i think, because i've had to adjust. it is an E world out there, really... at least i was always pushed to be more extroverted.

anyway... do all INFPs have strong Ni and Fi?

because i think that's where i probably am more INTP than INFP... especially the Fi part... even though i've gotten better at that over the years... my Fe is dominant, though, i think.

then again... i am very sensitive, really... i just have this logical "armor" i usually use... but when i let myself go, i can get very lost in feeling and stuff that i logically just let be can make me deeply emotional.

MBTI
    INFP

INFPs use Ne and Fi (Te is their dom thinking process)
    INTPs use Ne and Ti (Fe is their dom feeling process)

Logic is not armor, logic is logic.
    Being armored doesn't mean you are unemotional, in fact it is the opposite.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

thanks a lot for that. i feel stupid now

anyway... yes... i think i am more INTP then... (should go and fix my type)

you're right about logic... it's just that sometimes logic isn't... "logical"... lol (and that's probably because i know so little )

"it looked like rain, but it felt like snow" (i'll give points to the person who knows what song that line is from )

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Being armored doesn't mean you are unemotional, in fact it is the opposite.
    Well, with some.

I've been surprised at the range of internal emotion within Thinkers. Some Thinking types really are "flatter" on the emotional response level than others... or just have a different and/or smaller range of items that trigger them. It probably coincides somewhat with any inborn need for external affirmation/connection.

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    "it looked like rain, but it felt like snow" (i'll give points to the person who knows what song that line is from )
    Spoiler:
    Biffy Clyro, "Whorses"
    (all hail the power of the almighty Google!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Armor implies the existence of something that is being protected.

I don't deny that a lack of depth of feeling exists in certain people. I'm focused on the word armor.

MBTI
    epic

principles, values

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    then again... i am very sensitive, really... i just have this logical "armor" i usually use... but when i let myself go, i can get very lost in feeling and stuff that i logically just let be can make me deeply emotional.
    Well, if it is between the INPs, you've fallen right into the INFP pigeon hole.

INFPs "masks" are practically burnt on. They'll often sit there wondering whether they are INFP or INTP all the time because they can't tell the difference between the mask(s) and the face anymore. Especially if they are male.

Figurative armour is slightly different than a mask though. Armour sounds like distancing your emotions from a situation, which most people do, masking is actively hiding your internal side from the external world. Even hiding and distancing it from yourself.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

First function can be used as "armor" to protect the weaker functions(with bit assistance of secondary function) that you are bit uncomfortable to use around people that you dont know well. I do this with Ti and i know enfp who does this with Ne. I cba to explain how it works now.

My best friend is infp with strong feeling and i got strong thinking, i dont know how to explain the difference other than hes almost totally missing Ti and i got strong Ti and that hes sensitive and im not(other than few really personal things).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Armor implies the existence of something that is being protected. I don't deny that a lack of depth of feeling exists in certain people. I'm focused on the word armor.
    I didn't really disagree that people use some sort of psychological armor to protect the things that are important to them, if they fear being hurt or are uncertain. (See INTP's explication above.)

... anyway, hope the discussion is helpful, Yvonne!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    First function can be used as "armor" to protect the weaker functions(with bit assistance of secondary function) that you are bit uncomfortable to use around people that you dont know well. I do this with Ti and i know enfp who does this with Ne. I cba to explain how it works now.

My best friend is infp with strong feeling and i got strong thinking, i dont know how to explain the difference other than hes almost totally missing Ti and i got strong Ti and that hes sensitive and im not(other than few really personal things).
    I will be the first to tell someone that being a thinker (the use of a Ti/Te process before a Fi/Fe process, not the abhorrent dichotomous definition) does not mean lacking emotion.

You're right that logic can be used as armor. My point was that armor is not to be confused with logic. That a facade of uncaring does not imply that a person is a thinker.