• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] the differences between INTP and INFP

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The weird thing about my intuition is that it doesn't always give me a list of reasons for my beliefs. I am bright enough to look at a profile of an INFP and go over what little I know about you and apply those points but that would be less about why I feel you are probably an INFP and more about contrived justification. (and maybe as sign I am an INTp rather than strictly P).

In all truthfulness the reason I think you are INFP is primarily that I have been exposed to a lot of INTP writings both here and INTPcentral and you come off having a very different vibe. There is something sweet and charming and even a poetic sadness about you but it runs contrary to most of what more INTP vibe on their face.

On the other hand how you responds are not contradictory to INFPs and you identify yourself as possibly being, you have tested as being INFP one time and even if you didn't that would be my first guess anyway having read a lot of INFP posts here...and thus my two cents.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
aww. that was nice. i don't know. i don't really identify with either profile, to be honest. i don't have "a deep sense of right and wrong" like the INFP profiles suggest... and i don't believe in my feelings, or understand them. on the other hand, i care a lot... i wish it was easier to see myself, so it's nice to have someone else be your eyes sometimes :)

i know i'm very strange, though.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
INFPs are more comfortable being at odds with traditional logic, and even feel like it gets in the way of more important things.

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
as an INxP i am very curious about this. i've tested as both and i don't really know which type i identify better. i'm also not a very strong I, so that probably also affects my personality. i have always been introverted, though, more as a child than now, i think, because i've had to adjust. it is an E world out there, really... at least i was always pushed to be more extroverted.

anyway... do all INFPs have strong Ni and Fi?

because i think that's where i probably am more INTP than INFP... especially the Fi part... even though i've gotten better at that over the years... my Fe is dominant, though, i think.
then again... i am very sensitive, really... i just have this logical "armor" i usually use... but when i let myself go, i can get very lost in feeling and stuff that i logically just let be can make me deeply emotional. :blush:

INFP's have strong Fi and Ne. :)

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you're on the fence, one more tool you could use is the tertiary temptation. I like this theory of MBTI because it describes a system in motion instead of the snapshot that MBTI type is. Look up the tertiary temptation for an INFP and INTP, and see which one you more closely relate to.

Tertiary Temptation

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If you're on the fence, one more tool you could use is the tertiary temptation. I like this theory of MBTI because it describes a system in motion instead of the snapshot that MBTI type is. Look up the tertiary temptation for an INFP and INTP, and see which one you more closely relate to.

Tertiary Temptation

LOL. :rofl1:

A spirit appeared to me in the night and told me that this method would not work.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
INFPs use Ne and Fi (Te is their dom thinking process)
INTPs use Ne and Ti (Fe is their dom feeling process)

Logic is not armor, logic is logic.
Being armored doesn't mean you are unemotional, in fact it is the opposite.
Illogical statement.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4

Tertiary Temptation

thanks, this was interesting :) i did go back to my INxP state. i feel comfortable here :D

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
as an INxP i am very curious about this. i've tested as both and i don't really know which type i identify better. i'm also not a very strong I, so that probably also affects my personality. i have always been introverted, though, more as a child than now, i think, because i've had to adjust. it is an E world out there, really... at least i was always pushed to be more extroverted.

anyway... do all INFPs have strong Ni and Fi?

because i think that's where i probably am more INTP than INFP... especially the Fi part... even though i've gotten better at that over the years... my Fe is dominant, though, i think.

then again... i am very sensitive, really... i just have this logical "armor" i usually use... but when i let myself go, i can get very lost in feeling and stuff that i logically just let be can make me deeply emotional. :blush:

One trick to try here is whether you're Fi/Te or Ti/Fe. If "Fe is dominant" as you say, then you're Ti/Fe, and if you're certain about IN_P, then that would make you INTP.

However, the way you phrase thing in your last paragraph, your "logical 'armor'," that sounds very Fi/Te, to me. For Ti/Fe, it is Fe is the judging function that interacts with the world: you'd use the realm of values as "armor", if anything, not logic. (INTPs are typically known to use Fe more as a chameleon effect than an armor.) Fi/Te, on the other hand, does often use Te as logical armor for Fi, and is characteristic of xNFPs and xNTJs. INTJs, in particular, can become confused about their type and level of emotionality, because Fi can kick up a fuss behind the scenes as it were, and are often embarrassed by how deeply emotional they can feel about stuff that, logically, shouldn't be making them feel emotional at all.

So in your case, I'd first go with "INFP with strong Te" out of respect for your IN_P self-designation. Read up on what INFP problem areas are, and see whether you identify with them. If it doesn't seem quite right, don't look at INTP, but instead take a very close look at INTJ, and read up on what the INTJ problem areas are. I'm telling you to focus on the problem areas, because while the "positive" descriptions can be rather accurate, they overlap a lot, and it's hard to tell the difference between INTJ and INTP, or INFP and INTP. The problem areas, however, do not tend to overlap as much, and that makes it easier to tell the types apart. I wouldn't be surprised if you should peg yourself as an INTJ, but with a more admittedly emotional side. INTJs do not necessarily "feel J" to themselves, by the way: they'll have messy rooms, untidy desks/offices, but in terms of how they do things that are important to them, are very "J" with respect to planning and execution of tasks.

If it's still unclear, just spend time on various MBTI forums, and "get a feel" for what the other types are like, and what types are easiest for you to understand ... which is not the same as "most likable." I don't necessarily like someone who is an INTJ, I just understand how INTJs think (and feel) very well, because it's exactly how I process things. If you're INFP, you process things first emotionally, and you require emotional resolution before proceeding with any logical analysis, if necessary. INTP will automatically process things logically, first, and only apply a value-based (or emotional) analysis (Fe-style) after the logical part is mostly done. INTJ will intuitively process things (Ni) first, then use Te to develop a logical picture (to communicate with the world, or just to improve one's intuitive understanding), and only then start thinking about how one feels about it. For INTJ, the logic can feel like emotional armor, because if anything tries to take a shortcut to the INTJ's Fi emotions, the INTJ will block that personal violation with Ni/Te.

Finally, don't let anyone else tell you what your type is: figure it out for yourself. You are the one with all of the data, we're relying on scraps, by comparison, no matter how many details you might provide us. Everything I suggest here is just that: suggestions, places to look, ways to make distinctions, hunches to follow. I hope you find my suggestions helpful.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One trick to try here is whether you're Fi/Te or Ti/Fe. If "Fe is dominant" as you say, then you're Ti/Fe, and if you're certain about IN_P, then that would make you INTP.

However, the way you phrase thing in your last paragraph, your "logical 'armor'," that sounds very Fi/Te, to me. For Ti/Fe, it is Fe is the judging function that interacts with the world: you'd use the realm of values as "armor", if anything, not logic. (INTPs are typically known to use Fe more as a chameleon effect than an armor.) Fi/Te, on the other hand, does often use Te as logical armor for Fi, and is characteristic of xNFPs and xNTJs. INTJs, in particular, can become confused about their type and level of emotionality, because Fi can kick up a fuss behind the scenes as it were, and are often embarrassed by how deeply emotional they can feel about stuff that, logically, shouldn't be making them feel emotional at all.

So in your case, I'd first go with "INFP with strong Te" out of respect for your IN_P self-designation. Read up on what INFP problem areas are, and see whether you identify with them. If it doesn't seem quite right, don't look at INTP, but instead take a very close look at INTJ, and read up on what the INTJ problem areas are. I'm telling you to focus on the problem areas, because while the "positive" descriptions can be rather accurate, they overlap a lot, and it's hard to tell the difference between INTJ and INTP, or INFP and INTP. The problem areas, however, do not tend to overlap as much, and that makes it easier to tell the types apart. I wouldn't be surprised if you should peg yourself as an INTJ, but with a more admittedly emotional side. INTJs do not necessarily "feel J" to themselves, by the way: they'll have messy rooms, untidy desks/offices, but in terms of how they do things that are important to them, are very "J" with respect to planning and execution of tasks.

If it's still unclear, just spend time on various MBTI forums, and "get a feel" for what the other types are like, and what types are easiest for you to understand ... which is not the same as "most likable." I don't necessarily like someone who is an INTJ, I just understand how INTJs think (and feel) very well, because it's exactly how I process things. If you're INFP, you process things first emotionally, and you require emotional resolution before proceeding with any logical analysis, if necessary. INTP will automatically process things logically, first, and only apply a value-based (or emotional) analysis (Fe-style) after the logical part is mostly done. INTJ will intuitively process things (Ni) first, then use Te to develop a logical picture (to communicate with the world, or just to improve one's intuitive understanding), and only then start thinking about how one feels about it. For INTJ, the logic can feel like emotional armor, because if anything tries to take a shortcut to the INTJ's Fi emotions, the INTJ will block that personal violation with Ni/Te.

Finally, don't let anyone else tell you what your type is: figure it out for yourself. You are the one with all of the data, we're relying on scraps, by comparison, no matter how many details you might provide us. Everything I suggest here is just that: suggestions, places to look, ways to make distinctions, hunches to follow. I hope you find my suggestions helpful.

Great post! I totally agree :yes:

When I read 'armor', I also thought it was more Fi/Te than Fe/Ti.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
thank you for typing up all that. it was helpful :)

i have always been very sure about N and P (and have always tested strong on those), though. i appreciate how Js function, because it's something that i'm not. i'm pretty sure about introversion, also.

perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough... i did a functions test and got Ti, Ne and Fe as my strongest functions. it didn't surprise me, really... i suppose my Fe is stronger than many INTPs usually have? Fi is something that i've been working on, i suppose... Ni to me is a bit mysterious, but i can recognize some of that, so i do have an idea about that... but according to that test, i'm better at using Ti, than Te. i think i'm almost equally competent in Se and Si...

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
thank you for typing up all that. it was helpful :)

i have always been very sure about N and P (and have always tested strong on those), though. i appreciate how Js function, because it's something that i'm not. i'm pretty sure about introversion, also.

perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough... i did a functions test and got Ti, Ne and Fe as my strongest functions. it didn't surprise me, really... i suppose my Fe is stronger than many INTPs usually have? Fi is something that i've been working on, i suppose... Ni to me is a bit mysterious, but i can recognize some of that, so i do have an idea about that... but according to that test, i'm better at using Ti, than Te. i think i'm almost equally competent in Se and Si...

I generally don't recommend cognitive function tests for people new to MBTI. The main purpose of MBTI (and Keirsey's temperaments adaptation to MBTI) is that the Jungian functions are not easily observed directly, no matter much much whining and moaning about Fi vs Ti vs whatever you see on the forum. MBTI lets you narrow down to one of 16 types, which, in and of itself, should determine your two top perceiving and judging functions.

That said, if your test is correct, then you're INTP, no question. I just have no reason to believe a test result such as that, if you cannot also clearly decide between INTP and INFP. So, since things still seem to be unclear after my comments, I'd say just play around and interact with people on the forums. It'll become obvious who is making sense and who isn't, and what types those tend to be.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
alright, so i tested again and got INFP, like the last time i tested. i suppose i have changed :) (years ago i used to test INTP)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...are enormous

alright, so i tested again and got INFP, like the last time i tested. i suppose i have changed :) (years ago i used to test INTP)

As uumlau was saying, you really can't put much stock in tests for this stuff at all. You just have to study and get some experience with the functional attitudes to figure out what your preferences really are. The test doesn't mean much.

When making important decisions, do you try to listen to your emotions/values to guide you, or do you try to detach from them so as to avoid letting them bias your decision?

Also: Most of the time, INTPs use Ti/Fe, meaning their internal value judgments are made impersonally (with a deliberate attempt to detach from emotions), and they derive ethics from the cultural groups they identify with. Ti "knows" what is logical regardless of external influence; Fe is dependent upon external influence for knowing what is socially appropriate.

Most of the time, INFPs use Fi/Te, meaning their internal value judgments are made according to personal values/ethics, and they derive logic from objective standards in the environment. Fi "knows" what is ethical regardless of external influence; Te is dependent upon external criteria to make impersonal judgments.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
yes, i see what you mean. i am positive about I, N and P, and F/T preference is not as prominent. (the tests also suggest this)

according to your description i am a T, i don't "know" what's ethical regardless. i have to always observe and come to conclusions about that. i do attept to detach from my subjective emotions when i am making decisions.

i also don't derive logic from "objective" standards. what is logical is logical, regardless of any standards in the environment... (if i understood this correctly)

but, i do value emotions and intuition. i have come to value them more, because i've found that they can help in making the right decisions overall. as one INFP pointed out earlier, i also feel that sometimes logic gets in the way of things. i still trust logic more and prefer to encounter situations with logic, but i am open to the world of emotion and what it has to offer.

i think what is "illogical" in my thinking is that i value, lol. that's pure feeling. logically things just are.

did that make any sense to anyone? :D