User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 115

  1. #51
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    the terms are pretty confusing, yeah... i'm still not sure if i understand (i probably would need you to explain Te and Fi to me as well... no pressure, though, lol)

    thanks for the suggestions, too. i went and looked up a few videos. i think i identified more with the INTP girls than the INFP girls. most of the girls in the videos i watched were pretty young, though, and that's just the general vibe i got from a few videos, so...

    perhaps one day i'll settle on a type... i've been looking around these pages also and there are things about both types i identify with...

    it was quite funny to read an INFP thread about being "a weirdo magnet" ... i've noticed that happening to me in recent years. at one time i was walking down the street and this stranger came to talk to me about his cancer. i've had a lot of people come to me and ask me for help, or things... like helping to get a friend home, or asking for something... i don't know if i look "nice", or why they always seem to find me, lol. i've found that people tend to open up to me. perhaps it's because i can sort of sense, if someone is in need of something?

    i don't see myself as dreamy as the general vibe i'm getting from INFPs, though...

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    256

    Default

    [I have] a near instant value judgment in the form of "resonating"..... it almost feels "backwards" at times. I have a strong feeling that's a "conclusion" and then I work it out through reason to verify that it's valid.


    And this too. Very much me. I always reach a resonating conclusion and work through it by reasoning. Although the reasoning usually doesn't produce a different conclusion than the "resonating" It's because I trust that resonating so much that the reasoning doesn't help much. It is important to consult, though. (Te). When I do, it usually helps me to obtain perspective. I still rely on the gut feeling, though. It's hard to shake that gut feeling because it's usually proven to be right, even if I can't verify it. So I contradicted myself in this answer, but...

  3. #53
    Senior Member Cybin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    what are you talking about?
    I'm sorry, I didn't see that you had replied. Others answered this question, but I feel the need to elaborate as well. It's just a pet peeve of mine the way subjective and objective are used.

    Fi and Ti are subjective judgment processes. Meaning, they base decisions on their personal understanding of how the world works. Fi bases on subjective information in that they tend to lean on the side of basing decisions on how the result affects the individual situation. Fi analyzes and keeps a mental framework of what is important to individuals. Ti analyzes systems andthe objective. They prefer to lean towards the side of impersonal decision making because the way the outcome is is more important that how the outcome affects who is involved. Obviously, either type could do either method, it's about preference here.

    This also is the reason ti-fe are paired. Ti takes the objective view. So in social situations it views the actual interactions and makes decisions on that information rather than each person involved. That is Fe, which is an objective decision making process. Fe-Ti is the reverse, starting with the interactions and later coming inward to analyze.

    Fi-Te is used by implementing what is valued objectively. Think of the stereotypical Fi-crusade when a cause has been deemed worthy, it is attempted to be systematically implemented. Te-Fi is reversed in that it uses what it knows as effective and just based on their values (Fi).

    I apologize, that was probably convoluted...

  4. #54
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    ...what I'm coming into realizing is that it has a bit more to do with emotional reciprocation. A feeler is going to enjoy activities that focus around forming a rapport because that is what they are good at. It would seem natural to want to involve themselves in activities that build this. And a thinker will not have as good a natural rapport with people and will prefer activities that they are more successful at that do not require a strong focus on rapport, such as communication through writing, email, and more formal, frank, and to the point discussion that aids in the fulfillment of a goal not related to rapport.
    This is so excellent.

    I would like to add, if you are a female, what are your friendships like? Do you have a very select, old coterie of female friends because you "know where you stand, and it's easy, and they know what you're like"? Meanwhile, do you find yourself gravitating to the men in a group of strangers, and it's not to flirt, but because they're "easier to talk to" and you find the conversations more compelling?

    I don't know how valid this is, but that's been my experience.

  5. #55
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Also, according to Lenore Thomson, a Jungian theorist, Ti is in actuality subjective (not objective) logic. It "operates by way of visual, tactile, or spatial cues, inclining us to reason experientially rather than analytically... NTPs have a strong interest in patterns and their structural relationship to an immediate context." In other words, it has to do with reasoning within the moment vs a detached objectivity like Te.

    Here's what she has to say about the difference between Ti and Fi:

    "Ti is dispassionate and impersonal, prompting an interest in systemic logic: the probable consequences of immediate choice. ITPs are usually creative technicians of some sort who reason literally in terms of patterns and emerging variables... each decision affects the whole, creating new consequences and possibilities.

    "Fi focuses our attention differently. It encourages a personal relationship, a will to gauge a situation by an experiential ideal... Most IFPs have some investment in an activity that will express their fundamental sense of harmony with life."

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    I still rely on the gut feeling, though. It's hard to shake that gut feeling because it's usually proven to be right, even if I can't verify it.
    oh yeah, that makes sense - if it cannot be verified how do you know it's been proven right.

  7. #57
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    It seems like for the most part people tend to type themselves based on filling in which of the above they are mostly like, but what I'm coming into realizing is that it has a bit more to do with emotional reciprocation. A feeler is going to enjoy activities that focus around forming a rapport because that is what they are good at. It would seem natural to want to involve themselves in activities that build this. And a thinker will not have as good a natural rapport with people and will prefer activities that they are more successful at that do not require a strong focus on rapport, such as communication through writing, email, and more formal, frank, and to the point discussion that aids in the fulfillment of a goal not related to rapport.
    I disagree with this, because as usual, this sounds like Feeling from a Fe perspective. Fi is more intrapersonal, not interpersonal. I am NOT a people-person....I suck at "rapport" and it doesn't much interest me. I don't think this makes me an atypical Fi-dom, rather, I'm just oblivious to what Fe types have set as "polite". It's very important to me to be true to my inner self, sometimes to the detriment of my social skills. I'm also an introvert who is much more at home in my head than in socializing with people, even one-on-one. Many INFPs say they prefer writing to people over talking; I also find it's much easier to express myself that way without offending or confusing people. I've had to learn in business to not just get to the point, as people expect "schmoozing" (which I loathe and abominate).

    Also, INFPs are called "healers"....think about what that implies. It's not about the relationship between myself & someone else, but about every individual's relationship with themselves, and my relationship with myself. I like to connect with people on a deeper level, true, but it has little to do with the external feeling created. It's about the internal feelings, and keeping it authentic and pure, and that's not always a nice, pretty process because you have to unearth those feelings to begin with, many of which are ugly.

    Nothing drives me crazier than when people ignore the elephant in the room to keep peace. I just want to tear down the polite BS and say what I'm really feeling, and hear what they are really feeling, or else life just ends up being a facade.

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    "Fi focuses our attention differently. It encourages a personal relationship, a will to gauge a situation by an experiential ideal... Most IFPs have some investment in an activity that will express their fundamental sense of harmony with life."
    I think she's referring to personal relationship between the idea and the Fi-dom, not personal relationships with people. The Fi-dom relates everything to himself to understand it, although it's not a direct, clear relating. It goes back to that vague feeling of resonating within. Without this, the Fi-dom does not have an internal harmony, as everything needs to be consistent with the Fi-dom's personal values.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  8. #58
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think she's referring to personal relationship between the idea and the Fi-dom, not personal relationships with people.
    Yes, I am. Thanks for pointing that out.

  9. #59
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I disagree with this, because as usual, this sounds like Feeling from a Fe perspective. Fi is more intrapersonal, not interpersonal. I am NOT a people-person....I suck at "rapport" and it doesn't much interest me. I don't think this makes me an atypical Fi-dom, rather, I'm just oblivious to what Fe types have set as "polite". It's very important to me to be true to my inner self, sometimes to the detriment of my social skills. I'm also an introvert who is much more at home in my head than in socializing with people, even one-on-one. Many INFPs say they prefer writing to people over talking; I also find it's much easier to express myself that way without offending or confusing people. I've had to learn in business to not just get to the point, as people expect "schmoozing" (which I loathe and abominate).
    Hmm, I think what I latched onto about what he was saying is that all of the INFPs and ENFPS I know personally still have the rapport. For example, one of my INFP friends is a social worker, and she does her woman poetry-reading groups, and she has a fairly large number of female friends. With strangers, she's not necessarily warm in a Fe sense (and she hates to schmooze), but there still is a semblance of warmth, a desire for human connection. You can sense a sweetness.

    Meanwhile, I handle it more with 'the laws' of interaction if I really have to... she has this joke with me about my being a 'stern Victorian woman' because I can seem very rigid and proper in my interactions, because that is what I have learned and so I use it- it's efficient, it gets to the point, and maybe I have a hard time being sweet and 'womanly', but at least I say, 'thank you'. (I'm not like this all of the time, by any means, but it is how I become when I'm uncomfortable and I have no alcohol around to unbridle me or a corner to hide in. Come to think of it, this sounds an awful lot like inferior Fe in action...)

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    oh yeah, that makes sense - if it cannot be verified how do you know it's been proven right.
    Yes, it does make sense because for at least this INFP, a conclusion cannot often be verified externally. It's been proven right for me because what I've guessed to be the truth of a situation eventually has proven to be accurate, not because of hard and fast external verification but because the other person in the relationship responds in a way to verify that my feelings were accurate. Again, I don't think of that as a positive external validation, as in proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, but people often don't give you that absolute external validation but only a sense that they picked up on your thoughts (my gut feeling) and are running with it. Intuition leaps to a conclusion but doesn't need the steps that T needs to get there. The conclusion may be the same, but N reaches it through that gut feeling, or array of past experiences that tell you what the likely outcome will be. Hope this makes sense.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] How to tell the difference between ISFP and INFP?
    By Giggly in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM
  2. differences between INTP and INFP?
    By acronach in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 02:14 AM
  3. What are the differences between ENFP and INFP?
    By liYA in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
  4. What is the difference between INTP and INTJ?
    By Triglav in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO