• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] the differences between INTP and INFP

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
As someone who struggled a bit with possible Ti usage from the INFP side of the divide, I'd say read about the individual functions and identify with what you identify with. Just keep an open mind and be honest with yourself. I think typology can be a valuable tool for introspection, but if it stops being useful don't get too hung up on it.

i always try to be honest with myself. you're right about typology, too. i have read about the individual functions and i really identify with Ti use. i'm not a practical, linear thinker... at least i don't think so. i search for patterns. that's what i do... but we'll see. i'm not hung up on this at all, though :) it's interesting, though. i wanna thank all of you again for the insight. :)

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i made up my mind now. INfP it is. :D

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i'm still having my doubts about this... sorry. i feel like a misfit... i should probably just put x on my profile again, but then i won't be able to post on the private forums... i just... i am pretty sure i am a ti user... but then again... i'm terrible at math :D aren't INTPs usually great at math?

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i'm still having my doubts about this... sorry. i feel like a misfit... i should probably just put x on my profile again, but then i won't be able to post on the private forums... i just... i am pretty sure i am a ti user... but then again... i'm terrible at math :D aren't INTPs usually great at math?

If you are having this much trouble with it, I'd ask what difference it really makes to you, identifying with one over the other?

I mean, a problem with the labelling isn't anything big, a problem with self understanding is. Do you understand yourself and have trouble labelling, vice versa, or have trouble with both?

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
both. i really do see myself as more INTP, to be honest... but i've been struggling with this for some time now (long before i joined the board)... because i just don't like to be put in a box. i naturally resist all that... and my personality has always been like... i adjust. i adjust to the expectations of others. that's what i do. i don't want to hurt people and i want to know... i know how incapable i am, but i also know that i'm not useless... i am not cold, although i am rational. that's what makes sense to me. still... i know i am very intuitive about people... but it's always the rational side that wins in the end, because that's just the sensible way.

i care a lot, but i don't sweat it... because it doesn't help. i usually approach new things with logic and intuition. does that sound INTP to you?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

im not good at math, but thats because im not interested on learning it. being good at math has nothing to do with type, its just that some intps like math because of logical problem solving and they can become good at it easily because they have Ti as first function.

i assume you did some googling about this topic, if not your most likely infp :D

How to differentiate an INTP from an INFP? - INTP Central

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
both. i really do see myself as more INTP, to be honest... but i've been struggling with this for some time now (long before i joined the board)... because i just don't like to be put in a box. i naturally resist all that... and my personality has always been like... i adjust. i adjust to the expectations of others. that's what i do. i don't want to hurt people and i want to know... i know how incapable i am, but i also know that i'm not useless... i am not cold, although i am rational. that's what makes sense to me. still... i know i am very intuitive about people... but it's always the rational side that wins in the end, because that's just the sensible way.

i care a lot, but i don't sweat it... because it doesn't help. i usually approach new things with logic and intuition. does that sound INTP to you?

if rational side wins in the end always and you approach things with logic id say thats pretty intp to me. hard to say if some infps do this too because the infp i know is pure feeler and no one could ever confuse him with thinker, even if they wouldnt know about mbti :D

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
^ i was never really interested in it (nor was i naturally good at it). i had bad experiences with some teachers. i was much more interested in chemistry, biology, geography, music and the english language... i just always liked the humanistic sciences more.

math was boring. i do remember that when i "got" something right, the feelin was good... but still i found it boring just by itself... it always needed to have a direct connection to humanistic sciences to interest me.

psychology, philosophy and computers have always interested me, though. i was always excellent in philosophy and everything related to computers.

i'm also very quick to find solutions to problems like "where does this fit"... "how to do this in the most efficient way" ... stuff like that. sometimes i just keep my mouth shut, because i don't want to come off as a smartass. i also like to have other people "do the work"... and just tell them how it should work in theory...

i'm pretty good at coming up with theories, though... and "connecting the spots"... i use intuition a lot when dealing with people... but i know my weaknesses pretty well...

it's just that i care a lot... it's not just about how things work for me... i care about humanity. i care about people's feelings... however irrational they might be... haha... yeah...

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate to a lot of what you said, Yvonne, but you sound a little more Thinking than I am. I had a similar reaction to math courses and upper-level computer science courses as well (even though I'm fairly happy as a programmer now). At a certain point the tedium begins to outweigh the amount I care if the subject matter becomes too disconnected from people. After that point it just seems like so much intellectual wanking. So while I did well in math and science courses, I ended up majoring in psychology, English, and computer science.

I think I tend to use logic and rationality as a means to protect and defend my squishy emotional center. While I spend a lot of time optimizing and refactoring things at work, the motivation comes from the human aspects of things.

True to my Fi-nature, I think my the final stage of my decision-making process for a major decision is whether or not I feel at peace about it a day or two later. I think I have a desire to understand the nature of things before I make decisions, but I can't claim that the core of my decision making process is logically rational.

im not good at math, but thats because im not interested on learning it. being good at math has nothing to do with type, its just that some intps like math because of logical problem solving and they can become good at it easily because they have Ti as first function

i assume you did some googling about this topic, if not your most likely infp :D

Good point that type≠interests. I think there are trends, but that's the most you can say.

By the way, some of us INFPs are addicted to google, too. :p

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

There is no box. But because you think there is, I'm gonna say INFP :)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

hmm...you sound similar to my way of thinking Yvonne.

I've been called cold or told "you don't care",
like you I'm rational cause I value it.
I value truth and honesty a lot even if it hurts me.
Sensitive but rational *took time believe me.
Lots of hardship that developed this "rationality"*

Believe it or not the rational side tends to win for me too.
I don't like feelings ruling me. It's more from seeing how
letting my feelings take reign has always ended up with
bad results so hence some rationality has developed over
the years. Have learned to step back and let myself be objective as much
as I can be heh.

I have to use logic in approaching situations especially
ones where my feelings can tend to take over cause if they do
not so good decisions are made.

Just a balance between logic and the more subjective side
which tends to want to stay but should go.

I listen to the "I should leave" even my heart wants to stay
cause it's not healthy to stay or won't enable certain behaviors
in others when their just harming themselves. It's out of caring
for the person's well being but it can seem cold, but the reasons
are far from it.

Differences between INFP and INTP hmm...

I would say on my end i'm too sensitive for my own good.
Take things too personal when it's merely constructive criticism.

It's taken better today as I believe strongly in self growth even if
someone has to be ruthlessly blunt with me. Thing is I do feel
much better when I know their not being blunt with me to
hurt me but to help me. One of my bestest
friends back from a couple years ago is an ISTP.

She was great about being sensitively blunt as to warn me
that what she might say may offend me.

Tell me it straight I don't want my feelings cuddled too much.
Gentle is nice but I can handle the truth.
At least when people are blunt I know their being
honest and not just trying to please me or make
me feel better. I want to improve on any short comings.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but I thought
I'd pitch in for the INFPs.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
There is no box.

why do you say this? isn't MBTI a system to box people in categories, so that it'd be easier for us to understand ourselves and others?

thanks for the replies :)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
why do you say this? isn't MBTI a system to box people in categories, so that it'd be easier for us to understand ourselves and others?

thanks for the replies :)

No, it's a system for describing what's already there, not making up boxes and forcing people into them who don't fit.

The boxes are custom built to be big enough and inclusive enough to cover everyone. They're built around the way people are and are constantly restructured to accommodate changes.

We don't just build a bunch of boxes based on nothing and then shove people into them.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
yeah, of course not... i've just always thought that human beings are very complicated creatures. i don't think we've come up with theories that would seamlessly explain our behavior. i do think that MBTI is one of the best out there, though.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i'll put it this way:

there's a question "do you trust reason over feelings?"

i could answer yes, because reason has research to back it up and feelings are something you can't prove... but then again... if you don't take feelings into consideration at all, you will end up in a mess, because feelings are there, whether we choose to try to ignore them, or choose to go and dig them up and examine, if they indeed are still influencing our decisions, even though we might reason ourselves out of thinking that? ... it's like i think some people are afraid that if they go to places in their heads that they can't logically explain, they'll feel lost and out of control? ... but at the end of the day, i'd answer, yes, i trust reason over feelings, but i can't ignore feelings, either.

then this question: "do you value justice over mercy?"

i could answer yes, but to a point. it depends on the situation and sometimes mercy is justice. does this make sense?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'd answer, yes, i trust reason over feelings, but i can't ignore feelings, either.

Suppose reason says the outcome should be A. And that outcome hurts you, outcome B you imagine would be much better for your feelings. Still, you decide to go A, because reason tells you that is the best course of action.

Would you regret your descision in the future or can you live with the hurt without regret?

I think INTP's, though emotional beings just like the rest of them, are somewhat masochistic at times when it comes to these things (Well, it's not really masochism, but more like being a martyr). We generally don't regret getting hurt. We can live with pain if we believe it was the best course of action. Our 'belief' of reason can transcend our own emotions. (I say belief instead of logic, due to obvious subjective nature of reason in and off itself)

We're extremists, bwaha. So ironic. :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'll put it this way:

there's a question "do you trust reason over feelings?"

i could answer yes, because reason has research to back it up and feelings are something you can't prove... but then again... if you don't take feelings into consideration at all, you will end up in a mess, because feelings are there, whether we choose to try to ignore them, or choose to go and dig them up and examine, if they indeed are still influencing our decisions, even though we might reason ourselves out of thinking that? ... it's like i think some people are afraid that if they go to places in their heads that they can't logically explain, they'll feel lost and out of control? ... but at the end of the day, i'd answer, yes, i trust reason over feelings, but i can't ignore feelings, either.

then this question: "do you value justice over mercy?"

i could answer yes, but to a point. it depends on the situation and sometimes mercy is justice. does this make sense?

This is why there is no test that can accurately determine your psychological type. MBTI's categories are somewhat useful on their own, but the only way to figure out which one fits you is to read about them (and preferably also Jung's functions) and determine for yourself which one you fit closest to.

The tests are a flimsy and oft-inaccurate shortcut to self-understanding. You cannot take a 70-question multiple choice quiz and accurately determine your Jungian psychological type.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why there is no test that can accurately determine your psychological type. MBTI's categories are somewhat useful on their own, but the only way to figure out which one fits you is to read about them (and preferably also Jung's functions) and determine for yourself which one you fit closest to.

The tests are a flimsy and oft-inaccurate shortcut to self-understanding. You cannot take a 70-question multiple choice quiz and accurately determine your Jungian psychological type.

Yeah, that should also be said, obviously there are not 16 different kinds of people in the world but many more. MBTI is just a category system and it's about which fits best. But the one that fits is not going to be 100% accurate.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, that should also be said, obviously there are not 16 different kinds of people in the world but many more. MBTI is just a category system and it's about which fits best. But the one that fits is not going to be 100% accurate.

Well, when you make up the categories arbitrarily, there can be however many kinds of people you want in the world. When we ask, "How many kinds of people are there in the world?", we must choose some sort of criteria for distinguishing between different kinds.

In one sense, there is only one kind of person in the world: the carbon-based kind. If we define the categories as "carbon-based" or "not carbon-based", everyone in the world will fall into the former category.

Or, I could make up a system where everyone at least 5'6" tall is a K type, and everyone shorter than that is an R type. In terms of this system, there are only two kinds of people in the world.

Jung/MBTI does the same thing; it just divides people up into sixteen categories instead of two. It takes the set of all human attitudes and then just cuts them up sixteen ways and assigns an arbitrary label to each one.

So in terms of this particular arbitrarily made up labeling system, there are sixteen kinds of people.