User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 115

  1. #31
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    If you're on the fence, one more tool you could use is the tertiary temptation. I like this theory of MBTI because it describes a system in motion instead of the snapshot that MBTI type is. Look up the tertiary temptation for an INFP and INTP, and see which one you more closely relate to.

    Tertiary Temptation
    thanks, this was interesting i did go back to my INxP state. i feel comfortable here

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    INFPs are more comfortable being at odds with traditional logic, and even feel like it gets in the way of more important things.

  3. #33
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    as an INxP i am very curious about this. i've tested as both and i don't really know which type i identify better. i'm also not a very strong I, so that probably also affects my personality. i have always been introverted, though, more as a child than now, i think, because i've had to adjust. it is an E world out there, really... at least i was always pushed to be more extroverted.

    anyway... do all INFPs have strong Ni and Fi?

    because i think that's where i probably am more INTP than INFP... especially the Fi part... even though i've gotten better at that over the years... my Fe is dominant, though, i think.

    then again... i am very sensitive, really... i just have this logical "armor" i usually use... but when i let myself go, i can get very lost in feeling and stuff that i logically just let be can make me deeply emotional.
    One trick to try here is whether you're Fi/Te or Ti/Fe. If "Fe is dominant" as you say, then you're Ti/Fe, and if you're certain about IN_P, then that would make you INTP.

    However, the way you phrase thing in your last paragraph, your "logical 'armor'," that sounds very Fi/Te, to me. For Ti/Fe, it is Fe is the judging function that interacts with the world: you'd use the realm of values as "armor", if anything, not logic. (INTPs are typically known to use Fe more as a chameleon effect than an armor.) Fi/Te, on the other hand, does often use Te as logical armor for Fi, and is characteristic of xNFPs and xNTJs. INTJs, in particular, can become confused about their type and level of emotionality, because Fi can kick up a fuss behind the scenes as it were, and are often embarrassed by how deeply emotional they can feel about stuff that, logically, shouldn't be making them feel emotional at all.

    So in your case, I'd first go with "INFP with strong Te" out of respect for your IN_P self-designation. Read up on what INFP problem areas are, and see whether you identify with them. If it doesn't seem quite right, don't look at INTP, but instead take a very close look at INTJ, and read up on what the INTJ problem areas are. I'm telling you to focus on the problem areas, because while the "positive" descriptions can be rather accurate, they overlap a lot, and it's hard to tell the difference between INTJ and INTP, or INFP and INTP. The problem areas, however, do not tend to overlap as much, and that makes it easier to tell the types apart. I wouldn't be surprised if you should peg yourself as an INTJ, but with a more admittedly emotional side. INTJs do not necessarily "feel J" to themselves, by the way: they'll have messy rooms, untidy desks/offices, but in terms of how they do things that are important to them, are very "J" with respect to planning and execution of tasks.

    If it's still unclear, just spend time on various MBTI forums, and "get a feel" for what the other types are like, and what types are easiest for you to understand ... which is not the same as "most likable." I don't necessarily like someone who is an INTJ, I just understand how INTJs think (and feel) very well, because it's exactly how I process things. If you're INFP, you process things first emotionally, and you require emotional resolution before proceeding with any logical analysis, if necessary. INTP will automatically process things logically, first, and only apply a value-based (or emotional) analysis (Fe-style) after the logical part is mostly done. INTJ will intuitively process things (Ni) first, then use Te to develop a logical picture (to communicate with the world, or just to improve one's intuitive understanding), and only then start thinking about how one feels about it. For INTJ, the logic can feel like emotional armor, because if anything tries to take a shortcut to the INTJ's Fi emotions, the INTJ will block that personal violation with Ni/Te.

    Finally, don't let anyone else tell you what your type is: figure it out for yourself. You are the one with all of the data, we're relying on scraps, by comparison, no matter how many details you might provide us. Everything I suggest here is just that: suggestions, places to look, ways to make distinctions, hunches to follow. I hope you find my suggestions helpful.

  4. #34
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    One trick to try here is whether you're Fi/Te or Ti/Fe. If "Fe is dominant" as you say, then you're Ti/Fe, and if you're certain about IN_P, then that would make you INTP.

    However, the way you phrase thing in your last paragraph, your "logical 'armor'," that sounds very Fi/Te, to me. For Ti/Fe, it is Fe is the judging function that interacts with the world: you'd use the realm of values as "armor", if anything, not logic. (INTPs are typically known to use Fe more as a chameleon effect than an armor.) Fi/Te, on the other hand, does often use Te as logical armor for Fi, and is characteristic of xNFPs and xNTJs. INTJs, in particular, can become confused about their type and level of emotionality, because Fi can kick up a fuss behind the scenes as it were, and are often embarrassed by how deeply emotional they can feel about stuff that, logically, shouldn't be making them feel emotional at all.

    So in your case, I'd first go with "INFP with strong Te" out of respect for your IN_P self-designation. Read up on what INFP problem areas are, and see whether you identify with them. If it doesn't seem quite right, don't look at INTP, but instead take a very close look at INTJ, and read up on what the INTJ problem areas are. I'm telling you to focus on the problem areas, because while the "positive" descriptions can be rather accurate, they overlap a lot, and it's hard to tell the difference between INTJ and INTP, or INFP and INTP. The problem areas, however, do not tend to overlap as much, and that makes it easier to tell the types apart. I wouldn't be surprised if you should peg yourself as an INTJ, but with a more admittedly emotional side. INTJs do not necessarily "feel J" to themselves, by the way: they'll have messy rooms, untidy desks/offices, but in terms of how they do things that are important to them, are very "J" with respect to planning and execution of tasks.

    If it's still unclear, just spend time on various MBTI forums, and "get a feel" for what the other types are like, and what types are easiest for you to understand ... which is not the same as "most likable." I don't necessarily like someone who is an INTJ, I just understand how INTJs think (and feel) very well, because it's exactly how I process things. If you're INFP, you process things first emotionally, and you require emotional resolution before proceeding with any logical analysis, if necessary. INTP will automatically process things logically, first, and only apply a value-based (or emotional) analysis (Fe-style) after the logical part is mostly done. INTJ will intuitively process things (Ni) first, then use Te to develop a logical picture (to communicate with the world, or just to improve one's intuitive understanding), and only then start thinking about how one feels about it. For INTJ, the logic can feel like emotional armor, because if anything tries to take a shortcut to the INTJ's Fi emotions, the INTJ will block that personal violation with Ni/Te.

    Finally, don't let anyone else tell you what your type is: figure it out for yourself. You are the one with all of the data, we're relying on scraps, by comparison, no matter how many details you might provide us. Everything I suggest here is just that: suggestions, places to look, ways to make distinctions, hunches to follow. I hope you find my suggestions helpful.
    Great post! I totally agree

    When I read 'armor', I also thought it was more Fi/Te than Fe/Ti.

  5. #35
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    thank you for typing up all that. it was helpful

    i have always been very sure about N and P (and have always tested strong on those), though. i appreciate how Js function, because it's something that i'm not. i'm pretty sure about introversion, also.

    perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough... i did a functions test and got Ti, Ne and Fe as my strongest functions. it didn't surprise me, really... i suppose my Fe is stronger than many INTPs usually have? Fi is something that i've been working on, i suppose... Ni to me is a bit mysterious, but i can recognize some of that, so i do have an idea about that... but according to that test, i'm better at using Ti, than Te. i think i'm almost equally competent in Se and Si...

  6. #36
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    thank you for typing up all that. it was helpful

    i have always been very sure about N and P (and have always tested strong on those), though. i appreciate how Js function, because it's something that i'm not. i'm pretty sure about introversion, also.

    perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough... i did a functions test and got Ti, Ne and Fe as my strongest functions. it didn't surprise me, really... i suppose my Fe is stronger than many INTPs usually have? Fi is something that i've been working on, i suppose... Ni to me is a bit mysterious, but i can recognize some of that, so i do have an idea about that... but according to that test, i'm better at using Ti, than Te. i think i'm almost equally competent in Se and Si...
    I generally don't recommend cognitive function tests for people new to MBTI. The main purpose of MBTI (and Keirsey's temperaments adaptation to MBTI) is that the Jungian functions are not easily observed directly, no matter much much whining and moaning about Fi vs Ti vs whatever you see on the forum. MBTI lets you narrow down to one of 16 types, which, in and of itself, should determine your two top perceiving and judging functions.

    That said, if your test is correct, then you're INTP, no question. I just have no reason to believe a test result such as that, if you cannot also clearly decide between INTP and INFP. So, since things still seem to be unclear after my comments, I'd say just play around and interact with people on the forums. It'll become obvious who is making sense and who isn't, and what types those tend to be.

  7. #37
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    alright, so i tested again and got INFP, like the last time i tested. i suppose i have changed (years ago i used to test INTP)

  8. #38
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ...are enormous


    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    alright, so i tested again and got INFP, like the last time i tested. i suppose i have changed (years ago i used to test INTP)
    As uumlau was saying, you really can't put much stock in tests for this stuff at all. You just have to study and get some experience with the functional attitudes to figure out what your preferences really are. The test doesn't mean much.

    When making important decisions, do you try to listen to your emotions/values to guide you, or do you try to detach from them so as to avoid letting them bias your decision?

    Also: Most of the time, INTPs use Ti/Fe, meaning their internal value judgments are made impersonally (with a deliberate attempt to detach from emotions), and they derive ethics from the cultural groups they identify with. Ti "knows" what is logical regardless of external influence; Fe is dependent upon external influence for knowing what is socially appropriate.

    Most of the time, INFPs use Fi/Te, meaning their internal value judgments are made according to personal values/ethics, and they derive logic from objective standards in the environment. Fi "knows" what is ethical regardless of external influence; Te is dependent upon external criteria to make impersonal judgments.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #39
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    yes, i see what you mean. i am positive about I, N and P, and F/T preference is not as prominent. (the tests also suggest this)

    according to your description i am a T, i don't "know" what's ethical regardless. i have to always observe and come to conclusions about that. i do attept to detach from my subjective emotions when i am making decisions.

    i also don't derive logic from "objective" standards. what is logical is logical, regardless of any standards in the environment... (if i understood this correctly)

    but, i do value emotions and intuition. i have come to value them more, because i've found that they can help in making the right decisions overall. as one INFP pointed out earlier, i also feel that sometimes logic gets in the way of things. i still trust logic more and prefer to encounter situations with logic, but i am open to the world of emotion and what it has to offer.

    i think what is "illogical" in my thinking is that i value, lol. that's pure feeling. logically things just are.

    did that make any sense to anyone?

  10. #40
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    VERY subjective vs. VERY objective

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] How to tell the difference between ISFP and INFP?
    By Giggly in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM
  2. differences between INTP and INFP?
    By acronach in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 02:14 AM
  3. What are the differences between ENFP and INFP?
    By liYA in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
  4. What is the difference between INTP and INTJ?
    By Triglav in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO