User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 115

  1. #91
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    both. i really do see myself as more INTP, to be honest... but i've been struggling with this for some time now (long before i joined the board)... because i just don't like to be put in a box. i naturally resist all that... and my personality has always been like... i adjust. i adjust to the expectations of others. that's what i do. i don't want to hurt people and i want to know... i know how incapable i am, but i also know that i'm not useless... i am not cold, although i am rational. that's what makes sense to me. still... i know i am very intuitive about people... but it's always the rational side that wins in the end, because that's just the sensible way.

    i care a lot, but i don't sweat it... because it doesn't help. i usually approach new things with logic and intuition. does that sound INTP to you?
    There is no box. But because you think there is, I'm gonna say INFP



  2. #92
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    both. i really do see myself as more INTP, to be honest... but i've been struggling with this for some time now (long before i joined the board)... because i just don't like to be put in a box. i naturally resist all that... and my personality has always been like... i adjust. i adjust to the expectations of others. that's what i do. i don't want to hurt people and i want to know... i know how incapable i am, but i also know that i'm not useless... i am not cold, although i am rational. that's what makes sense to me. still... i know i am very intuitive about people... but it's always the rational side that wins in the end, because that's just the sensible way.

    i care a lot, but i don't sweat it... because it doesn't help. i usually approach new things with logic and intuition. does that sound INTP to you?
    hmm...you sound similar to my way of thinking Yvonne.

    I've been called cold or told "you don't care",
    like you I'm rational cause I value it.
    I value truth and honesty a lot even if it hurts me.
    Sensitive but rational *took time believe me.
    Lots of hardship that developed this "rationality"*

    Believe it or not the rational side tends to win for me too.
    I don't like feelings ruling me. It's more from seeing how
    letting my feelings take reign has always ended up with
    bad results so hence some rationality has developed over
    the years. Have learned to step back and let myself be objective as much
    as I can be heh.

    I have to use logic in approaching situations especially
    ones where my feelings can tend to take over cause if they do
    not so good decisions are made.

    Just a balance between logic and the more subjective side
    which tends to want to stay but should go.

    I listen to the "I should leave" even my heart wants to stay
    cause it's not healthy to stay or won't enable certain behaviors
    in others when their just harming themselves. It's out of caring
    for the person's well being but it can seem cold, but the reasons
    are far from it.

    Differences between INFP and INTP hmm...

    I would say on my end i'm too sensitive for my own good.
    Take things too personal when it's merely constructive criticism.

    It's taken better today as I believe strongly in self growth even if
    someone has to be ruthlessly blunt with me. Thing is I do feel
    much better when I know their not being blunt with me to
    hurt me but to help me. One of my bestest
    friends back from a couple years ago is an ISTP.

    She was great about being sensitively blunt as to warn me
    that what she might say may offend me.

    Tell me it straight I don't want my feelings cuddled too much.
    Gentle is nice but I can handle the truth.
    At least when people are blunt I know their being
    honest and not just trying to please me or make
    me feel better. I want to improve on any short comings.

    I don't know if this will be helpful or not but I thought
    I'd pitch in for the INFPs.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  3. #93
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    There is no box.
    why do you say this? isn't MBTI a system to box people in categories, so that it'd be easier for us to understand ourselves and others?

    thanks for the replies

  4. #94
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    why do you say this? isn't MBTI a system to box people in categories, so that it'd be easier for us to understand ourselves and others?

    thanks for the replies
    No, it's a system for describing what's already there, not making up boxes and forcing people into them who don't fit.

    The boxes are custom built to be big enough and inclusive enough to cover everyone. They're built around the way people are and are constantly restructured to accommodate changes.

    We don't just build a bunch of boxes based on nothing and then shove people into them.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #95
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    yeah, of course not... i've just always thought that human beings are very complicated creatures. i don't think we've come up with theories that would seamlessly explain our behavior. i do think that MBTI is one of the best out there, though.

  6. #96
    A passer by yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    564

    Default

    i'll put it this way:

    there's a question "do you trust reason over feelings?"

    i could answer yes, because reason has research to back it up and feelings are something you can't prove... but then again... if you don't take feelings into consideration at all, you will end up in a mess, because feelings are there, whether we choose to try to ignore them, or choose to go and dig them up and examine, if they indeed are still influencing our decisions, even though we might reason ourselves out of thinking that? ... it's like i think some people are afraid that if they go to places in their heads that they can't logically explain, they'll feel lost and out of control? ... but at the end of the day, i'd answer, yes, i trust reason over feelings, but i can't ignore feelings, either.

    then this question: "do you value justice over mercy?"

    i could answer yes, but to a point. it depends on the situation and sometimes mercy is justice. does this make sense?

  7. #97
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i'd answer, yes, i trust reason over feelings, but i can't ignore feelings, either.
    Suppose reason says the outcome should be A. And that outcome hurts you, outcome B you imagine would be much better for your feelings. Still, you decide to go A, because reason tells you that is the best course of action.

    Would you regret your descision in the future or can you live with the hurt without regret?

    I think INTP's, though emotional beings just like the rest of them, are somewhat masochistic at times when it comes to these things (Well, it's not really masochism, but more like being a martyr). We generally don't regret getting hurt. We can live with pain if we believe it was the best course of action. Our 'belief' of reason can transcend our own emotions. (I say belief instead of logic, due to obvious subjective nature of reason in and off itself)

    We're extremists, bwaha. So ironic.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  8. #98
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    i'll put it this way:

    there's a question "do you trust reason over feelings?"

    i could answer yes, because reason has research to back it up and feelings are something you can't prove... but then again... if you don't take feelings into consideration at all, you will end up in a mess, because feelings are there, whether we choose to try to ignore them, or choose to go and dig them up and examine, if they indeed are still influencing our decisions, even though we might reason ourselves out of thinking that? ... it's like i think some people are afraid that if they go to places in their heads that they can't logically explain, they'll feel lost and out of control? ... but at the end of the day, i'd answer, yes, i trust reason over feelings, but i can't ignore feelings, either.

    then this question: "do you value justice over mercy?"

    i could answer yes, but to a point. it depends on the situation and sometimes mercy is justice. does this make sense?
    This is why there is no test that can accurately determine your psychological type. MBTI's categories are somewhat useful on their own, but the only way to figure out which one fits you is to read about them (and preferably also Jung's functions) and determine for yourself which one you fit closest to.

    The tests are a flimsy and oft-inaccurate shortcut to self-understanding. You cannot take a 70-question multiple choice quiz and accurately determine your Jungian psychological type.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #99
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This is why there is no test that can accurately determine your psychological type. MBTI's categories are somewhat useful on their own, but the only way to figure out which one fits you is to read about them (and preferably also Jung's functions) and determine for yourself which one you fit closest to.

    The tests are a flimsy and oft-inaccurate shortcut to self-understanding. You cannot take a 70-question multiple choice quiz and accurately determine your Jungian psychological type.
    Yeah, that should also be said, obviously there are not 16 different kinds of people in the world but many more. MBTI is just a category system and it's about which fits best. But the one that fits is not going to be 100% accurate.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  10. #100
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Yeah, that should also be said, obviously there are not 16 different kinds of people in the world but many more. MBTI is just a category system and it's about which fits best. But the one that fits is not going to be 100% accurate.
    Well, when you make up the categories arbitrarily, there can be however many kinds of people you want in the world. When we ask, "How many kinds of people are there in the world?", we must choose some sort of criteria for distinguishing between different kinds.

    In one sense, there is only one kind of person in the world: the carbon-based kind. If we define the categories as "carbon-based" or "not carbon-based", everyone in the world will fall into the former category.

    Or, I could make up a system where everyone at least 5'6" tall is a K type, and everyone shorter than that is an R type. In terms of this system, there are only two kinds of people in the world.

    Jung/MBTI does the same thing; it just divides people up into sixteen categories instead of two. It takes the set of all human attitudes and then just cuts them up sixteen ways and assigns an arbitrary label to each one.

    So in terms of this particular arbitrarily made up labeling system, there are sixteen kinds of people.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] How to tell the difference between ISFP and INFP?
    By Giggly in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM
  2. differences between INTP and INFP?
    By acronach in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 02:14 AM
  3. What are the differences between ENFP and INFP?
    By liYA in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
  4. What is the difference between INTP and INTJ?
    By Triglav in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO