• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Are INFJs naturally fascinated with ENTPs?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i agree with everything you've said.

overall, i also think the process of Ne-Ni thinking is like a complete thought cycle. the gravity to Ni and the expansiveness of Ne. Ni imagines a center that holds everything together where none exists. Ne is like a rhizome, it spouts off in every direction, exploring new possibilities. Ne types can keep like 10 or 15 threads open at a time, so they are prepared for so many potential meanings when i am being vague and ambiguous, that they can still move along with me without getting lost. or pick up where i get lost or lose my way.

it's obviously an infj-centric position i describe, but the advantages translate to both parties so fluidly and find a perfect balance. i don't know where i am in any given moment, but goddammit, i have a general map and a compass at all times, i can sense the problem and imagine the general direction of where we need to go, but the way itself is often unclear.

kevdod

MBTI Type
ENTP
And I agree with everything you just said. So there we are, the ENTP/INFJ dynamic in action.... ;-)

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been a student of type for the past 15 years or so. I am an ENTP and have had a number of romantic and platonic relationships with INFJ's over the years.

If I could sum up the attraction of the ENTP/INFJ, it would be this;
INFJ's understand themselves, but don't understand the world. ENTP's understand the world, but don't understand themselves.

This yin/yang effect works because both types get utility out of the relationship: INFJ's need to better understand the world, and the ENTP's can help them with that. ENTP's need to better understand themselves, and INFJ's can help them with that.

This is then facilitated by a similar iNtuitive communication style with helps them to understand each other, and supported by a common Fe function (so they are both emotionally oriented on each other) and a common Ti function (so they don't get on each others nerves by talking at each other (i.e. extroverted thinking)).

And not too sure where this fits in, but INFJ's have a strong sense of "soul" or "universal meaning" that is absent in the ENTP. When the ENTP gets discouraged with life (the Ne-primary "beat down") the INFJ can offer up the ultimate support to the ENTP, which is an assuredness that their is actually a point (or meaning) to all of the BS of life. In return, the INFJ get's to be the sharer of this "ultimate truth" with the ENTP, which reaffirms to them their own specialness and meaning-giving in the world.

A win/win - and both INFJ's and ENTP's like that (the common Fe orientation :) ) !

This is the most clearly articulated and convincing argument I've seen so far in favor of INFJ-ENTP pairings.
Welcome to the forum :)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been a student of type for the past 15 years or so. I am an ENTP and have had a number of romantic and platonic relationships with INFJ's over the years.

If I could sum up the attraction of the ENTP/INFJ, it would be this;
INFJ's understand themselves, but don't understand the world. ENTP's understand the world, but don't understand themselves.

This yin/yang effect works because both types get utility out of the relationship: INFJ's need to better understand the world, and the ENTP's can help them with that. ENTP's need to better understand themselves, and INFJ's can help them with that.

This is then facilitated by a similar iNtuitive communication style with helps them to understand each other, and supported by a common Fe function (so they are both emotionally oriented on each other) and a common Ti function (so they don't get on each others nerves by talking at each other (i.e. extroverted thinking)).

And not too sure where this fits in, but INFJ's have a strong sense of "soul" or "universal meaning" that is absent in the ENTP. When the ENTP gets discouraged with life (the Ne-primary "beat down") the INFJ can offer up the ultimate support to the ENTP, which is an assuredness that their is actually a point (or meaning) to all of the BS of life. In return, the INFJ get's to be the sharer of this "ultimate truth" with the ENTP, which reaffirms to them their own specialness and meaning-giving in the world.

A win/win - and both INFJ's and ENTP's like that (the common Fe orientation :) ) !

This is the most clearly articulated and convincing argument I've seen so far in favor of INFJ-ENTP pairings.
Welcome to the forum :)

Yeah^, seriously. That post is what I was *trying* to get at myself, but Kevdod stated an exponentially clearer/cleaner version of it.

kevdod

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks for the kind words Intricate Mystic and Z Buck Mcfate. This looks to be a really interesting forum with a lot of knowledgeable "types"!

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
To be quite honest, most ENTPs annoy me. No effence ENTPs, I love you all, but seriously...yeah, some of you guys can be annoying.

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
ENTPs... My dad's an ENTP, at least, I think, because that's what he seems to be when he's healthy. When he's not... well... ISFP, it seems... Is that right?...

Anyway, I think ENTPs are great people... I dated an IN probably T P and he was great - though scary how much he had in common with my dysfunctional dad, though it was little things like things that they liked, kind of funny actually... anyway, I guess I'm semi-aware of the fact that I may shut out ENTPs because of their similarities to my dad and having had so many bad experiences with him including some from the INTP I dated. I wish I could give them more of a chance or something...

I guess I just need to meet some ENTPs that don't make me think of my dad. ;)

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Definitely NOT an ENTP fan ( at least in terms of a mate is concerned). Main reason: lack of empathy. He was unhealthy tho. I'm not willing to teach a man how to be empathetic anymore. It doesn't work anyways.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Definitely NOT an ENTP fan ( at least in terms of a mate is concerned). Main reason: lack of empathy. He was unhealthy tho. I'm not willing to teach a man how to be empathetic anymore. It doesn't work anyways.

you're basing this opinion on one?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I've known one or two ENTPs, maybe a few more, but overall I'd say not a fan in terms of romantic relationships. Too arrogant and too prone to steamrolling others' feelings...I don't see that working too well with an INFJ. Maybe a relatively resilient INFJ who doesn't taken things too personally, but that doesn't sound terribly INFJ!

I know I'm generalising big time. But I think the whole "INFJ and ENTP are the perfect match!" thing is a bit of a myth.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Personally? No.

Mainly because I know for lots of personal experience that within an hour of me discussing any of my feelings to them, they'll have completely wiped it from their minds and proceed to do or say things that are thoughtless and insensitive just for the sake of interacting with other people.

I have yet to meet a single ENTP capable of handling or understanding feelings to any great degree. They know how to make people happy, get others involved and excited, (and I envy many ENTPs for it), but it's a very personally guided process.

When it comes to more intimate situations driven by individual people's feelings, ENTPs don't just falter... they trip over the pavement and break their heads off the grounds.

ENTPs are about bettering themselves, INFJs are about bettering others. ENTPs are good at getting people outside of their shells, INFJs are good at helping people get inside themselves.

It's a complicated dichotomy. I understand why it works for a lot of people, but I'm a very emotionally sensitive individual and it's never worked for me. I can't stand emotional insensitivity, and ENTPs fall back on it a little too often for my tastes. That said, unlike many INTPs, they at least know how to feel guilty about it.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally? No.

Mainly because I know for lots of personal experience that within an hour of me discussing any of my feelings to them, they'll have completely wiped it from their minds and proceed to do or say things that are thoughtless and insensitive just for the sake of interacting with other people.

I have yet to meet a single ENTP capable of handling or understanding feelings to any great degree. They know how to make people happy, get others involved and excited, (and I envy many ENTPs for it), but it's a very personally guided process.

Yup. All of this.

I just think that when you've got loads of intellectual stimulation, but not much else, especially in terms of feelings and emotions, it doesn't work out that well.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Somewhat ironically, my best friend is the absolutely raging embodiment of an ENTP, with all of the stereotypes associated with the type intact, and pumped up to 11!

ItsAGuy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I quick browse of the ENTP type tells me no... most of what I read sounds grating at best

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think I'm naturally fascinated with ENTPs, but have become a little curious about them online just because of all of the talk about how great INFJ-ENTP pairings can be. I've only talked to a few at typology central and enjoyed the ease of communication but kind of backed off at points, I think, because they come on pretty strong. Maybe I got a bit scared off? :huh:

S

Sniffles

I don't think I'm naturally fascinated with ENTPs, but have become a little curious about them online just because of all of the talk about how great INFJ-ENTP pairings can be. I've only talked to a few at typology central and enjoyed the ease of communication but kind of backed off at points, I think, because they come on pretty strong. Maybe I got a bit scared off? :huh:

You're not alone, I have some stories for you.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

The thing with the INFJ-ENTP relationship from my perspective is if the ENTP is immature it will often display as irresponsible (particularly emotionally) and argumentative, two things that will bother an INFJ immensely. It can take time and work to get past that point, and if the INFJ chooses to dwell on an ENTPs ability to have those traits, even though not all will, then they will be cautious around all potential ENTPs.

What can be special though is the connection between the two types, it will be one-on-one, unique to those two people and deep. The INFJs often has the ability to see the ENTP in a way other people aren't allowed to see and the ENTP will respect the INFJs depth of thought and emotion.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The thing with the INFJ-ENTP relationship from my perspective is if the ENTP is immature it will often display as irresponsible (particularly emotionally) and argumentative, two things that will bother an INFJ immensely. It can take time and work to get past that point, and if the INFJ chooses to dwell on an ENTPs ability to have those traits, even though not all will, then they will be cautious around all potential ENTPs.

What can be special though is the connection between the two types, it will be one-on-one, unique to those two people and deep. The INFJs often has the ability to see the ENTP in a way other people aren't allowed to see and the ENTP will respect the INFJs depth of thought and emotion.

You distilled it perfectly. I can vouch for this.

Lately I notice many unkind things posted about ENTPs and it makes me sad.