• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP ONLY: Crying

Click as many opitions as apply to you

• I cry daily to express hurt feelings

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I cry easily and frequently

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I cry sometimes, neither easily nor with difficulty

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • It's somewhat hard for me to cry

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • It's VERY hard for me to cry, even when someone dies

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • I tend to cry to release anger more than sadness

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I cry over works of beauty or sentiment

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • I cry at toliet paper commericals with puppies and children in them

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • I hate polls

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

heart

heart on fire
Poll coming. The poll is private.

I always see people linking INFP with being easy and frequent criers.

Is this true INFPs?

Edit: Crying for the purposes of this poll means actual tears rolling out the eyes.

Feeling choked up or "misty eyed" does not count.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where's the option for I spend too much time trying not to cry?

Edit: or I wear sunglasses at night just in case

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
OMG, I LOVE the option for crying at toilet paper commercials involving puppies [note, I did not vote for that one, but apparently someone else did]

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Where's the option for I spend too much time trying not to cry?

Edit: or I wear sunglasses at night just in case

Just stay away from watching anime like Air and Clannad :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can get misty eyed when someone who has struggled experiences sudden triumph (like say, the movie Rudy), but I very rarely cry, even at times when I wish I could.

heart

heart on fire
I can get misty eyed when someone who has struggled experiences sudden triumph (like say, the movie Rudy), but I very rarely cry, even at times when I wish I could.

I tend to think this is the most common response for INFPs but very curious to see what a blind poll turns up.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to think this is the most common response for INFPs but very curious to see what a blind poll turns up.

It takes a great deal of sadness or betrayal to make me cry (not even putting my 17 year old cat, whom I loved dearly, to sleep was enough)... but I find I don't have such walls built up against a surge of positive emotion. Movies like Rudy force me to open my eyes really wide so any potential tears evaporate before anyone can notice. :D

heart

heart on fire
For some reason Rodeo themed songs make me get all choked up. I don't even begin to know where that comes from! Also the song El Paso.

When other people (or some animals) are denied little selfish pleasures for some reason this chokes me up, something about life being so tough and what they are asking for is so little.

Displays of loyalty and love and the positive like Udog says.

But I have only cried around two people in my life, my mother and my husband. It is very, very hard for me to actually cry.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Yeah, it depends on what you mean by crying. I don't bawl out but can get misty-eyed easily.

People should answer the poll after reading the story about how the Canada figure skater, Joannie Rochette got bronze in the recent Winter Olympics and see if they have any reaction

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can't cry in public. i have some kind of mental block against it. if i really need to cry i'll go to the bathroom or something. it usually takes something pretty big to make me cry, but i also cry during movies/tv shows easily

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-It's somewhat hard for me to cry.

I can't/don't cry that often. I've only cried twice in the past 7 months.

-I tend to cry to release anger more than sadness.

I cry mostly out of stress or frustration. I wish I could cry more easily when I'm sad, since crying usually makes me feel better.

-I cry over works of beauty or sentiment.

This, too, even though it doesn't happen that often. And yep, I cry more about happy/inspirational things too.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I guess I cry as much as other people do, but it is rare I would say (a few times a year). The only occasions I cry is when/if:

-someone close dies
-I get hurt reeal bad (I would guess)
-I watch the Green Mile

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wouldn't say I'm a frequent crier, but when I'm angry I can't help but cry, and I guess I get angry enough at least once a week.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I find it very difficult to cry. People who think that infp's cry (and whine- wtf is that about?) all the time because we're sooo EMO are well, wrong.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the opinion of many of the rational boys on this board.

Last edited:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I actually am not sure what to answer, since I am not sure what you count everything to cry. Everything with tears which is over this "misty eyes"? Then rarely, but it happens, but only when I am alone and from sadness, not anger. If it is some real breakdown where you cannot stop crying for long, then it doesn't really happen since many years.

Those "misty eyes" (when I understand this right; English kills me) happen often enough to me. I will not do so when I know I am in public usually, but in bus I have it somehow very often, since there I have probably too much time to think about sad things. It happens even on sad movie scenes, but only when I identify with the character and I am alone, again. When with other people, I try to repress it.

Parrish

MBTI Type
infp
-I watch the Green Mile
I love that movie. Fried green tomatoes also has a similar feeling IMO. I was hysterical, good thing I watched it alone.

I also sometimes cry out of frustration. It`s really annoying during intense arguments. :yes:
Movies, books, music, inspirational or beautiful moments also get to me. My eyes get watery, but there`s only one or two tears usually. Crying from laughter is the best.
I was only at one funeral and I didn`t feel like crying until they started playing the music, then it was hiccup sobbing all the way.
I cried over my dog more than over any guy.

I haven`t cried out of personal sadness or hurt for over a year. And I also don`t usually cry in front of others.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The last time I really cried was when I found out that my good lifelong friend died, but that was quite a long time ago... maybe 6 years? Not entirely sure.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't cry that often, but if I do it is either because relating to someone elses troubles, or because a movie or a song. I don't remember when I cried for myself. There are some movies I have hard time watching with other people because it makes me self-conscious to know I will cry... Requiem for a dream comes to mind...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've cried twice in the past 14 years (give or take a year) if you don't count misty eyes. Both times occurred within a 4 month time span.

I guess I was lucky growing up. One of my parents would scream, yell, and say horrible things to me until I finally broke down. It was sort of a, "You made me feel bad, so I'm going to get my revenge and make you feel worse" type of deal. One day I realized that's what they were doing, and from there resolved not to be played like that any more.

Now, if I feel an argument going in a non-constructive, emotionally-mainpulating direction, I get up and walk away. As I'm getting up, I tell the person that I'm not putting up with attacks meant to hurt, and that I'll be willing to talk about this more when they can talk to me like an adult.

In other words, I no longer let people push me that far.