• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP ONLY: Crying

Click as many opitions as apply to you

• I cry daily to express hurt feelings

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I cry easily and frequently

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I cry sometimes, neither easily nor with difficulty

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • It's somewhat hard for me to cry

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • It's VERY hard for me to cry, even when someone dies

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • I tend to cry to release anger more than sadness

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I cry over works of beauty or sentiment

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • I cry at toliet paper commericals with puppies and children in them

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • I hate polls

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

AlexM

MBTI Type
INFP
Not sure how to respond to this. I cry very rarely, but have no problem doing so if I need to. I guess I'll go with "I cry sometimes, neither easily nor with difficulty"? But I really want something like "I cry very rarely, but easily".

A

A window to the soul

Poll coming. The poll is private.

I always see people linking INFP with being easy and frequent criers.

Is this true INFPs?

Edit: Crying for the purposes of this poll means actual tears rolling out the eyes.

Feeling choked up or "misty eyed" does not count.

It's somewhat hard for me to cry. :mellow:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's easy for me to cry. Too easy. I cry when I'm overwhelmed with any emotion, not just (or even primarily) sadness.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I cry mainly over works of beauty or sentiment. I suppose it's because I have built up defense systems for everything else...

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I answered with
I cry sometimes, neither easily nor with difficulty
and
It's somewhat hard for me to cry

My emotions are so wound up, pent up that the reservation stays and in emotionally charges situations i am stunned to sadness rather than teary eyed. i get misty eyed and rarely cry, its this emotional vacancy. there are points in my life where tears have fallen too.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I checked the "It's somewhat hard for me" and the "I tend to cry to release anger more than sadness" options.

I wish there were an "I cry easily although not frequently" option because I identify with that most right ahead of the "I tend to cry to release anger [or any overwhleming emotion] more than sadness" option. The former does seems contradictory, though, doesn't it?

I guess for the sake of practicality, I'll say that I don't cry very often, but when I do it's usually very inappropriately placed (i.e, I cry when I laugh sometimes, I cry at funerals of people I don't know instead of at funerals of people I do, I cry when I think about my grandfather, etc). It's whatever happens to move me.

EDIT: Had I seen the "I cry over works of beauty or sentiment" option I would have picked that one, too.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's embarrassingly easy for me to cry--when I'm sad or angry. Or when I feel especially empathetic or touched.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not hard for me to cry when alone. I mostly cry out of frustration/anger than sadness though. I'd say I cry about 2-3 times a month, in private. It depends on how much stress I am under. I'm a typical woman who usually cries during my period at some point :D, but I'm alone when I do.

I will also cry during movies :cheese:, but I will suppress it if people are around. I like that kind of crying...it's a release, but not personal. I guess I should have checked the crying over works of beauty/sentiment option too then, but it's not that consistent or often.

I greatly fear crying in public and getting emotional in public in general; the thought of it mortifies me, and I've been accused of being cold by my family members because of it. I have cried in front of them many times, but it's usually angry tears. This is probably why I am considered "temperamental" by them, but not emotional in a warm/soft sense.

Part of the reason I hate confrontation is I fear becoming emotional in front of others. Sometimes weird things will make me get teary-eyed, but it can be more of an anxiety/intimidation thing.

I don't cry when people die. In some situations, I've forced myself to look sad & misty-eyed so I don't seem mean....I just don't respond "appropriately" in life, or consistently.

I think crying can be a good thing though...I don't see it as a weakness to cry often. I think it helps expel negative emotion from the body.

So I went with: "I cry sometimes, neither easily nor with difficulty" and "I tend to cry to release anger more than sadness".

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i usually cry at sappy parts in movies.
when im alone.
i can keep the shiz in if im watching with my parents or friends hahah.
or when im just laying in bed and thinking, like every other day ill get teary eyed just thinking.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i used to be very uncomfortable with crying. now i cry, if i feel like crying. i rarely do it in front of other people, though. touching movies make me shed a few tears sometimes... also songs, if i'm in that kind of mood.

my mum was pretty hard on me growing up. i don't think she understood me very well. my dad was the one who would just come up to me and hug. he never said much, but i always felt like he got me.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Every since I started doing volunteer firefighting I cry a lot more. It took a close brush with death to realise that tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone. I think about all my loved ones everyday and that makes me cry, but they are tears of joy, just knowing that they are in my life and have been in my life is beautiful.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I cry frequently, and easily both to release anger and sadness.

I don't cry over puppies and stuff though, never cried out of happiness (except that one orgasm time lol).

I don't cry infront of people easily though, might get a bit teary eyed and melancholy at times, but I swallow it all back down for a more quiet private cry later on.

I'm such a cry baby. :p

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I just wanted to pop in this thread and say I love all you INFPs you can all cry on my sweater if you need to. I have a whole line of custom sweaters for this purpose

crying is a constructive thing

beauty as well as pain makes me cry

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I just wanted to pop in this thread and say I love all you INFPs you can all cry on my sweater if you need to. I have a whole line of custom sweaters for this purpose

crying is a constructive thing

beauty as well as pain makes me cry

Aw! I like you lol

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I answered with I cry over beauty and sentiment, that seems to be (mostly) the only time I cry. Two exceptions, I cried in pure frustration, a couple of weeks ago, and at xmas, because my life was crumbling away before me (facing potential homelessness and extreme poverty.) I may have cried after I was offered my current job, I didn't notice though att. That maybe doesn't count, extreme circumstances evoke extreme responses.

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
voted for the beauty sentiment one and I am glad that lots of others do this to. The most recent time was during Avatar haha. Unless I suppress my emotions completely I get a lil teary eyed during these types of movies all the time. It's not CRYING its more just letting my eyes water up a bit...i always have a lil smile on when this happens too :)

Ouroboros

MBTI Type
INFP
I cry every few months or so, mostly just because I need like a release. I feel better afterward. I'll think of really sad things, cry, then have a nice shower. The rest of the time I cry because I am frustrated or overwhelmed, feeling depressed, listening to stories of people suffering (like hearing a horrible story on the news or watching movies like North County), or I stubbed my toe.

I've only been to a few funerals, and I never could cry for someone's passing. It could be because I wasn't particularly close to the people who died. It just feels like they were elsewhere after they died, like on an extended cruise. But watching other people grieve is heart-rending.

I hate crying in public, but I've done it before, usually because I'm frustrated.

Malkaro

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I cry rarely,mostly when I`m really angry rather than sad.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm very strange. Somebody could die and I keep all the emotions bagged up inside of me. But, then I cry over something as stupid as my mom getting mad at me. :huh:

MoneyJungle

MBTI Type
INFP
Happy endings in movies cause the majority my tears. I couldn't expound without spoilers. Even inspirational and sappy news stories get me on occasion. One example would be that guy who pushed around his son's wheelchair so he could be in marching band. I don't think I've cried out of sadness or my own circumstances in quite a while.