User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default If Anger is Taboo, is Deep Thought Possible?

"To think deeply in our culture is to grow angry and to anger others; and if you cannot tolerate this anger, you are wasting the time you spend thinking deeply. One of the rewards to deep thought is the hot glow of anger at discovering a wrong, but if anger is taboo, thought will starve to death."

-Jules Henry

Thoughts on this?

MBTI
    XXFP

Deep thought seems incompatible with intense anger.

It's far more effective to accept the situation, and arrive at what what your next action is, and do it. Use that anger as an energy source to change the situation - it is an effective motivator - but don't be too surprised if you get burnt out, depressed, corrupted, or the situation blows up in your face as a result.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I agree with Bamboo over using anger as an energy source. Even negative emotions, channeled properly, can have positive effects.

My problem with the quote in the OP is the use of the word 'anger'. It just doesn't feel right to me. If you replace 'anger' with 'passion' however, then we're getting somewhere.

You have to be passionate about your values or they'll crumble without that strength. You have to be passionate about a cause to truly make a difference. Without passion, you're just going through the motions. One way passion can manifest itself is as anger though.

Its not just 'anger' the quote refers to, but more of a 'Righteous Anger', the anger at a wrong which must be righted. I believe that kind of anger depends on what is being contemplated but is not necessary for ALL deep thought.

...Yeah, I think the quote narrowed in on the wrong emotion.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Sounds like complete bollocks to me. I don't think deep thought necessarily produces or attracts anger, and I don't think anger is taboo. I'm guessing Jules Henry was an angry man.

MBTI
    epic

anger is associated with loss. we all "grow up," whatever that means, and confront our finitudes and limitations. paradigm shifts, thistles and thorns, bleeding hands. anger can become confining however (liberation - confinement, womb/tomb theme) when we become comfortable in condemnation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    "To think deeply in our culture is to grow angry and to anger others; and if you cannot tolerate this anger, you are wasting the time you spend thinking deeply. One of the rewards to deep thought is the hot glow of anger at discovering a wrong, but if anger is taboo, thought will starve to death."

-Jules Henry

Thoughts on this?
    This sounds like the personal justification of a flaw more than anything.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    "To think deeply in our culture is to grow angry and to anger others; and if you cannot tolerate this anger, you are wasting the time you spend thinking deeply. One of the rewards to deep thought is the hot glow of anger at discovering a wrong, but if anger is taboo, thought will starve to death." -Jules Henry

Thoughts on this?
    Yes -- what's the context, if any?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Deep thought seems incompatible with intense anger.
    Precisely my thought

"our culture"

Which culture? There isn't only one.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Anger motivates towards action moreso than thought, I think. It is a useful emotion in unifying people towards an action. This can result in the common good or the common destruction, but it is powerful for motivation.

Some people might integrate emotion into their thinking as their natural course, and in that case it would not make sense to push that person towards compartmentalization. I don't think a personal style can be projected onto others though. Deep thought also results from detachment as much as involvement, but the nature of the thoughts can be different. I suspect that deep thought involving strong emotion is based on a strong attachment to one's place in reality. Deep thought resulting from letting go of emotion and attachment will tend to view one's place in reality from a distance. Detachment is more likely to view the big picture than intense involvement. It is an assumption to say that only the big picture results in depth of thought. There is a kind of focus and depth that can result from a personal perspective as well.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)