• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] infj's and alcoholism

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
? prone ?
i'll try running and make a habit of it, but it's easy to reach for a bottle sometimes.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I have never been drunk in my life. Sorry.
I think it has nothing to do with type.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
i don't mean to introduce a positive correlational hypothesis. i'm seeking experience/input from other infj that have ever struggled with alcoholism. i drink very reasonably and rarely - life is short enough already. i don't intend to disrepect it by "living" in a constantly inebriated state.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My upbringing was conservative Christian and even though I don't believe there is a Biblical basis for teetotalism, it's too ingrained at this point for me to feel comfortable with using alcohol. Plus knowledge of my family history inclines me not to risk it and most of what I've been exposed to smells nasty, plus a lot of people act stupid when they drink and God knows I can do that just fine on my own, plus alcohol is expensive.

IOW, I dunno because I'm a cheap chicken. :chicken:

P

Phantonym

Personally, zero relationship with alcohol. I have other lovely addictions to be friends with. :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gin tastes neat, but I consume it in controlled, limited quantities, and never as a means of escape.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
INFJs with their god awful Se already seem drunk, so they don't need the help.

"What the hell, I'm a bottle of wine in and I feel the same!"

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
if it is dependent upon type, in my observation INFJ's are not likely to be. I know several that have no dependencies smoking/drinking (unless its soda).

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
? prone ?
i'll try running and make a habit of it, but it's easy to reach for a bottle sometimes.

Potentially, yes. It's the inferior Se and it's tendancy to over do physical stimulus. It's not the only way inferior Se can show up of course.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
The INFJ I know has never been drunk and neither have I.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs with their god awful Se already seem drunk, so they don't need the help.

"What the hell, I'm a bottle of wine in and I feel the same!"

:yes:

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
A couple of INFJs I know can really drink, but I wouldn't say they are alcoholics. They do enjoy a glass of wine or three, or a few beers though.

G

Ginkgo

Wow, this thread is horse shit. Sorry. No offense to the OP or anything. This is just way too inductive. Have you guys ever noticed how all sorts of people become alcoholics? Is it really necessary to associate functional theory with someone's addiction? You could think up ways for each type to have some sort of dysfuct.

I have an INFJ friend who thinks that INFPs are prone to addiction because her INFP friends are apparently stoners and tweekers. Now that we have two archetypes with entirely oppositional functions being tagged for drug abuse, we could theoretically associate alcoholism to each type.

So who gives a shit?

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Wow, this thread is horse shit. Sorry. No offense to the OP or anything. This is just way too inductive. Have you guys ever noticed how all sorts of people become alcoholics? Is it really necessary to associate functional theory with someone's addiction? You could think up ways for each type to have some sort of dysfuct.

I have an INFJ friend who thinks that INFPs are prone to addiction because her INFP friends are apparently stoners and tweekers. Now that we have two archetypes with entirely oppositional functions being tagged for drug abuse, we could theoretically associate alcoholism to each type.

So who gives a shit?

hey, no offense taken. i didn't phrase it well. basically, velo just wants to find out - what drives other infj's to drink outside of a social-lubricant context? for me, it usually has to do with disharmonious relationships, though i'm growing thicker skin (i've skinned enemies/innocents and used them for insulation!).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it's kinda a given that any type could become an alcoholic. But, I do think it's plausible that different types would have different reasons/motivations for drinking, and consequently drinking serves a different purpose or fills some sort of 'need' depending on personality.

For myself, I did a LOT of drinking my first 2 yrs of college. My reason? It was a form of escapism, I think. I hadn't been a very happy teenager, and I hadn't had many friends at all, and I was tired of being alone and lonely, and tired of not fitting in. In college, it was somewhat conscious -- I kinda decided I was going to try to do everything opposite how I was in high school, because I wasn't happy in high school, and didn't like who I was. Also, I had quite a lot of social anxiety, so I drank a lot - and got drunk numerous times - because 1. I wanted to feel more at ease and wanted to try to fit in, and was also curious about this whole other side of life that I hadn't experienced growing up, and wondering what it was all about, but 2. Deep down I knew I didn't fit in with the drinking crowd, and without liquor I looked around at everyone and was disgusted or whatever, and to drown the disgust I drank, and then I was all happy and stuff and didn't care anymore.

See? Simple as that. ;)

After a couple of years of that, I was able to detach, and realized it wasn't a good road I was on, so I pretty much stopped all together, and since then I've made sure that whenever I have a drink, my motivation isn't to ease discomfort or cover up some other sort of emotional issue.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I cannot tolerate alcohol of any form. Suffice to say I'm not and alcoholic.

I really believe your likelihood of being an alcoholic has less to do with type as your genetic disposition.

If you can hold your drink and you're naturally low on serotonin.... you're more likely to become an alcoholic.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I enjoy a glass of wine now and again, but I don't enjoy being drunk at all. I never have. I was always the sober friend that took care of the drunk friends. :rolleyes:

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I was hoping for a post like this..

I love to drink and I like to drink as often as I can. Am I an alcoholic? No, but my family thinks I could easily head down that road. Personally, I think I'm really in control of my "needs" and can handle putting the bottle down..well for about a week until I get cranky.