• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP Fathers

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was reading INFP Blog this morning and it got me to thinking.

Is anyone here an INFP dad, know one, or have one themselves? I'm just curious to know what they're usually like, and kind of hoping that this might help me figure out my dad's type, too.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mine is a poor example in some ways due to how unhealthy he is, but other times can be a decent example.

After getting the boot from my mother he still trusted her to take care of us. He also stuck around (to his professional and financial detriment) to be there when we needed help. He does have major confidence and paranoia issues though, especially surrounding things my mother did in the past, but has since stopped even thinking about doing. He puts on a stick in the mud face with most things and buries himself in helping other people out.

He has lots of friends back home due to how easily he can adjust to the people around him, but does like to have his time alone to the point of disappearing for the few days around his birthday every year. All his personal projects to organize his room in our great-grandmother's basement have taken back seat to things people ask for his help with and those take a backseat when one of us boys is in trouble or needs help. He has a book in which he's recorded everyone's birthday in an attempt to remember them all, though he tends to end up calling either a little early or a little late.

Many people see him as stubborn while I often see a sad, fearful, and lonely old man (eh, he's not that old). His escape are in movies, novels, and woodland adventures like guiding. I've only seen him cry twice, but his world of ideas and interests is a rich landscape that has rubbed off on me some. He's the dipshit responsable for making me a fantasy/sci-fi fan at such a young impressionable age...

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Mine is a poor example in some ways due to how unhealthy he is, but other times can be a decent example.

After getting the boot from my mother he still trusted her to take care of us. He also stuck around (to his professional and financial detriment) to be there when we needed help. He does have major confidence and paranoia issues though, especially surrounding things my mother did in the past, but has since stopped even thinking about doing. He puts on a stick in the mud face with most things and buries himself in helping other people out.

He has lots of friends back home due to how easily he can adjust to the people around him, but does like to have his time alone to the point of disappearing for the few days around his birthday every year. All his personal projects to organize his room in our great-grandmother's basement have taken back seat to things people ask for his help with and those take a backseat when one of us boys is in trouble or needs help. He has a book in which he's recorded everyone's birthday in an attempt to remember them all, though he tends to end up calling either a little early or a little late.

Many people see him as stubborn while I often see a sad, fearful, and lonely old man (eh, he's not that old). His escape are in movies, novels, and woodland adventures like guiding. I've only seen him cry twice, but his world of ideas and interests is a rich landscape that has rubbed off on me some. He's the dipshit responsable for making me a fantasy/sci-fi fan at such a young impressionable age...
That's so sad D: Kind of reminds me of my dad.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's so sad D: Kind of reminds me of my dad.

What's worse is two of us boys have left town and I'm stealing his youngest from him this spring to give him a few more opportunities that he wouldn't in a small town.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I was reading INFP Blog this morning and it got me to thinking.

Is anyone here an INFP dad, know one, or have one themselves? I'm just curious to know what they're usually like, and kind of hoping that this might help me figure out my dad's type, too.

My father was INFP (he died some 3 years ago). He was quiet and allowed my ESTJ mother to lead in most things. He was extremely responsible with money (to the point of being cheap). He was highly trustworthy and, even though he had little education (he dropped out of school in 9th grade), he knew a lot of things and was very intelligent because of his stunning memory (I'm glad I have inherited it). As a child, I would always go to my dad when I needed to know something about the world. He taught me so much.

My father was a quiet activist at heart (my ENFP sister is pretty much the same, but much bolder). We called him the Master of Recycling. He cared about the environment and would share his meagre salary with tons of charities. He was an excellent procrastinator, making my mother absolutely mad sometimes.
He loved action films (Harrison Ford and stuff) and loved to watch football. He loved to watch documentaries of all sorts as well.

My dad was a great storyteller, but would exagerate to no end (that was hilarious) and would get lost in piles of useless details that would make him lose the main idea. We had to bring him back to it.

We had a great relationship and would often have father-daughter activities together. He was a loving father, I keep an excellent memory of him.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hated disciplining. Exceptionally laid back. Not too fond of responsibility. Easily liked. Not really into adhering to reality. Very knowledgeable, he knew a bit about everything intellectual. Avoided confrontation. Ate books to do with his passions, was dedicated to expanding his understanding. Did not freely share thoughts and feelings. Stubborn (with a capital S). Covered all the good, and all the less desirable points of being a P, this cause issues with the Jays of my clan.

The good came with bad, like any person/type. He was a loving dad who didn't always show it in the right ways.

D

Dali

A lot of the time, I wish I had had at least one FP parent. Life would have been so much easier.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Man, these are actually all pretty sad D: But further convincing me that my dad is also an INFP.

He's quiet, incredibly funny, would help someone out in a heartbeat, loves kids/animals, taught himself guitar when he was little and writes his own songs/poetry, and just has always been very artistic in general. I always remember him drawing a lot when I was growing up. We'd do fun creative projects together when I came over to visit, like building a model house out of cardboard. I know he recently took up painting while he's been out-of-the-job, stuck at his parents' house. I never knew him in a deeper level growing up, though. I don't think I ever realized how much alike we are until just recently, when we really started having heart-to-heart conversations (how we're both idealistic, yet cynical). My grandma told me that he's always been an emotional and sensitive guy, especially after his 18 year old brother died when he was 14 and then when my mom divorced him. It's weird because I never had any idea that he's a sad person.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
A lot of the time, I wish I had had at least one FP parent. Life would have been so much easier.
Same here. Even worse is not having a single parent who is remotely N. Man, such horrible communication problems come with that.