User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default INFPs, introverts and humor

I don't know if it's an INFP thing, an introverted thing, or a crappy sense of humor thing. My sense of humor usually involves wordplay, irony or self-deprecation, usually playfully sarcastic, at times morbid. But this often happens: When someone jokes with me (not a "priest walks into a bar" joke, but mild teasing) they usually end up hugging me, saying, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! " It's not like I don't get the joke or think it's funny, I just don't always or What am I, retarded, people?

So, INFPs, and anyone, really:
    How's your sense of humor?
    Is it sarcastic, dry, nonsense, gross, etc?
    Do you give people the impression that you don't understand their sense of humor?
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I find that Ne based humor either goes off AWESOME or HORRIBLE. I often see something someone said, see how to take it off on some unexpected/unconventional angle [Ne at work], and then I exaggerate it for effect.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I find that Ne based humor either goes off AWESOME or HORRIBLE. I often see something someone said, see how to take it off on some unexpected/unconventional angle [Ne at work], and then I exaggerate it for effect.
    this > all other humor. especially when bouncing it around for a while with someone else with Ne, we do this with my infp friend all the time and laugh our asses off

but imo this never fails if you take it far enough, if it starts to look horrible just take it a step further and atleast you get a nice wtf laughs(or get rid of people that doesent appreciate your humor)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    this > all other humor. especially when bouncing it around for a while with someone else with Ne, we do this with my infp friend all the time and laugh our asses off

but imo this never fails if you take it far enough, if it starts to look horrible just take it a step further and atleast you get a nice wtf laughs(or get rid of people that doesent appreciate your humor)
    ^ This a million times.
    I've got one or two heavy intuitive buddies and we'll have each other in stitches and maybe a small group of other people who laughed with us at first, then recoiled in horror, and are now raising their eyebrows at each other with concern and backing away slowly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I guess I practice dry/sarcastic/etc but when it comes down to it mine is just dumb half of the time. I rely on people who follow pointless tangents and half-clever wordplay well and aren't offended by dark humor. If they don't like this kind of humor I'm doomed to be viewed as unfunny and boring. Oh well.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by MagnifaSnail View Post
    ^ This a million times.
    I've got one or two heavy intuitive buddies and we'll have each other in stitches and maybe a small group of other people who laughed with us at first, then recoiled in horror, and are now raising their eyebrows at each other with concern and backing away slowly.
    ... And when you see them looking at you with the "WTF" look on their faces it only makes the whole situation funnier, haha

A friend of mine said she finds it endearing that I laugh about random things that aren`t even funny. I wouldn`t be laughing if it weren`t funny. Maybe it`s because I find weird connections or associations to things that make it so entertaining.

Although, I think when I`m spacing out, staring out the car window and laughing by myself it probably looks kinda creepy

I like my sense of humour, I can`t help it if people don`t always get it.
    .:"Claude os, aperi oculos.":.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless, you have to hope even harder and cover your ears and go 'lalalalalalala'"- Fry (Futurama)

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, indeed.
    It doesn't "help" the situation that myself and my friends can be very abrasive and when it comes to humor NOTHING is sacred. I think I'm especially bad about that last part, I can frequently have one of my good joking friends covering her mouth trying to stifle laughter at a horribly raw or insensitive joke.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I don't think I can put my sense of humor into words, but it is incredibly awesome. It's mostly just commenting about stuff, and bouncing stuff off other people, i really can't explain it. I can be a bit morbid sometimes, but really i can't explain it.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Hmmm, the INFPs I know have a good sense of humor, but it's when they're at their most detached, that they really get going with wordplay, self-deprecation, irony.... But they also get easily offended sometimes. And when their emotions start going, they lose that dry humor.

Maybe that's why people are always like "Oh I'm just kidding!" to you, because they think you are hurt or put off by their remarks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by paradox fox View Post
    My sense of humor usually involves wordplay, irony or self-deprecation, usually playfully sarcastic, at times morbid.
    I can be all of these. I can be silly or sardonic. I enjoy absurdities a lot, especially subtle ones, and I will say something ridiculous or ironic and usually use a tone to make it clear I'm joking, but sometimes people don't get it . I probably laugh at a lot of things people don't see humor in for the same reason. I have to be careful with that one, and it's often why I don't bother much with humor online.... I wouldn't call myself a "funny" person, but I do have a sense of humor, and it's not hard to make me laugh, even if you do so unintentionally.

I really dislike vulgar, bathroom humor and humor that is just plain mean. Teasing is fine, and I have a high tolerance for it as long as people don't hit a major soft spot. I don't think that makes me much different from anyone else, or at least other Feeling types.

When amongst friends, the guys will make jokes at everyone's expense, including the women, and an ESFP girl & ENFP girl will both get genuinely upset at times. I never do - I know they are kidding, and it's honestly not anything offensive at all. I'm sensitive, but not that sensitive.

I'm not good at banter in groups though, or with strangers (too overwhelming). I'm not sure if people take a deer-in-the-headlights look to mean I have no sense of humor. It just means my mind went blank....

Occasionally, I have a "I am not amused" reaction & ignore a joke, but that doesn't mean I am offended either. That just means I think it's not very clever or funny, or it's passed the teasing line & is just outright rude/stupid.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe