• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi and long term repercussions

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Fi tends to be the decision making process (as opposed to going with the flow) for ENFPs. What does it mean to use it to make decisions?

Im theoretically a very adventurous person (like most ENFPs), but in practice, my life tends to be as boring as that of a clerk. Minus the productivity. I attribute this to what I think is strong Ti, or if not that, at a least a very conscious and logical and predicting way of looking at things.

I always stay true to my value system. I think I often know what I want. But when I'm faced with opportunity, I don't know what to do (perhaps because the idea of not always being the absolute control over my life and my options scares me). I always seem to take the less messy and more safe option. It never brought me any joy in life.

Whenever I make a Fi based decision, it seems always to be AGAINST something. I'm very contrarian by nature I admit. But Fi never seems to help me finding out what i WANT to do. My Ti or whatever you'll call it, is ALWAYS there to measure and analyze outcomes, chances and then my Ne provides it with enough bad scenarios (I guess I never was that much of a happy person in a sense) to refrain from taking any risks.

Does Fi help you choose what you want? How so? Is it aware of possible undesirable circumstances or does it just charge in blindly towards what it wants?

And does it have any criteria to choose between cakes and icecreams if you haven't had either in your whole life (but think you'd like them)?

How well have you lived with your life's important decisions, how often have you changed your mind afterwards...and what has been the pattern that seems to bring you the most joy?

sculpting

I think you are seeing NeFiTeSi at play.

NeTe scans the playing field and find potholes. It tries to protect Fi from being hurt. In NLP language this is called "away from pain" behavior. (ENTPs will use "towards pleasure behavior instead)

Once you identify the pain points of a situation you can use Ne to see lots of possibilities but we then use FiSi to look backwards and assess how did making choices like this in the past hurt us? With no sense of Si-ie overusing Ne without good development of judging functions, you tend to go hog wild and get in all sorts of trouble as you dont have a historical basis for what hurts and what does not.

I guess this Si history makes us oddly a little conservative.

In my life I will usually pick the scary, adventurous path due to Ne-however only after I checked all the TeSi boxes. I need to build a safe stable place and then let NeFi go crazy-silly-sweet within that place.

So very adventurous and not risk adverse, but only after I paid all of the bills.

Could be all bull though, so just my 2 cents

revolve

I think you are seeing NeFiTeSi at play.

NeTe scans the playing field and find potholes. It tries to protect Fi from being hurt. In NLP language this is called "away from pain" behavior. (ENTPs will use "towards pleasure behavior instead)

Once you identify the pain points of a situation you can use Ne to see lots of possibilities but we then use FiSi to look backwards and assess how did making choices like this in the past hurt us? With no sense of Si-ie overusing Ne without good development of judging functions, you tend to go hog wild and get in all sorts of trouble as you dont have a historical basis for what hurts and what does not.

I guess this Si history makes us oddly a little conservative.

In my life I will usually pick the scary, adventurous path due to Ne-however only after I checked all the TeSi boxes. I need to build a safe stable place and then let NeFi go crazy-silly-sweet within that place.

So very adventurous and not risk adverse, but only after I paid all of the bills.

Could be all bull though, so just my 2 cents

not all bull . . . that sounds perfect! i concur i concur :yes:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi tends to be the decision making process (as opposed to going with the flow) for ENFPs. What does it mean to use it to make decisions?

Im theoretically a very adventurous person (like most ENFPs), but in practice, my life tends to be as boring as that of a clerk. Minus the productivity. I attribute this to what I think is strong Ti, or if not that, at a least a very conscious and logical and predicting way of looking at things.

I always stay true to my value system. I think I often know what I want. But when I'm faced with opportunity, I don't know what to do (perhaps because the idea of not always being the absolute control over my life and my options scares me). I always seem to take the less messy and more safe option. It never brought me any joy in life.

Whenever I make a Fi based decision, it seems always to be AGAINST something. I'm very contrarian by nature I admit. But Fi never seems to help me finding out what i WANT to do. My Ti or whatever you'll call it, is ALWAYS there to measure and analyze outcomes, chances and then my Ne provides it with enough bad scenarios (I guess I never was that much of a happy person in a sense) to refrain from taking any risks.

Does Fi help you choose what you want? How so? Is it aware of possible undesirable circumstances or does it just charge in blindly towards what it wants?

And does it have any criteria to choose between cakes and icecreams if you haven't had either in your whole life (but think you'd like them)?

How well have you lived with your life's important decisions, how often have you changed your mind afterwards...and what has been the pattern that seems to bring you the most joy?

Ne - living via options
--the scenarios you said you see
Te - letigious, cause/effect world view
--"measuring outcomes" as you say
Fi - decision making about what is conscionable and unconscionable independent of cause and effect.
-- you reject things that make sense in a cause/effect world view simply because they are unconscionable to you

You sound like an ENFP. I actually dont think you're engaging Ti. What I've noticed is that ENFPs need to be convinced of certain things being unconscionable, or they will just bounce as their Ne pleases...

And no, people that make a personal decision arent always using Fi. An INTP can know what ice cream they like and not be engaging Fi :laugh: :doh:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
With no sense of Si-ie overusing Ne without good development of judging functions, you tend to go hog wild and get in all sorts of trouble as you dont have a historical basis for what hurts and what does not.

That's part of my problem. I'm probably the least reckless ENFP out there. I never take any chances.

In my life I will usually pick the scary, adventurous path due to Ne-however only after I checked all the TeSi boxes.

So basically, what, making a mental list of what is likely to happen according to concrete criteria (Te) and other people's experience (Si;assuming you've never been faced with such a situation before)?

Have you found this approach to bring you joy? What about the impact on other people?

Babylon Candle said:
You sound like an ENFP. I actually dont think you're engaging Ti.

Yes, I am an ENFP. I see many parallels with my way of thinking, and a sort of inherent logic to the way. Plus I just hate structuring, organizing or enforcing of any kind.

Babylon Candle said:
What I've noticed is that ENFPs need to be convinced of certain things being unconscionable, or they will just bounce as their Ne pleases...

Again, that is exactly my problem. I'm so very guided by my values and sense of ethics that I always take other people's feelings into account in my big choices. Again, least reckless or trigger-happy ENFP you'll ever meet.

Babylon Candle said:
And no, people that make a personal decision arent always using Fi. An INTP can know what ice cream they like and not be engaging Fi

I know that. I was talking about making decisions using Fi as an ENFP, in particular.

Thanks for the reply everyone.