• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs, what gets you out of your head?

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Sex, carnival rides... That's about it.

Hah, I wish sex would get me out of my head! I'd probably have a much better sex life!

Physically playing with my kids, yoga, hiking, sports, going to the movies or the theatre (watching movies or TV at home is useless...I zone out immediately), socializing with people I don't see every day, singing, scrapbooking...

But I'm usually too busy being cerebral to do any of those things :cheese:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
most activities where I have to do external things, like extrovert.

Parrish

MBTI Type
infp
When I was a kid I really enjoyed diving and at those times my attention was fully focused on what was in front/under me. Under the water surface was a whole different world and I was all up for exploring it.

Another thing that does that is painting. Since I started with it a couple months ago, it`s become vital for my mental peace. Especially accompanied by some instrumental music or Sigur ros playing softly in the background...That`s my happy time:wubbie:

Other times I noticed my head is unusually quiet is at times of fatigue or when I have a migraine. I`m not in or out of my head, but my thoughts just get kind of hazy so I don`t bother with them too much. However, once I fall asleep and the dreaming state begins I`m busy again.

So I guess doing things that really fascinate me or make the little kid in me happy do the trick for me.:laugh:

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Singing. Tap-dancing. Preferably with others as other posters have mentioned too.

Sometimes I forget to think when sorting trough small, detailed things, like my childrens' toys, photos, beads, clothes, doing something with colors. Only it has to be somewhat routine, since I get very much in my head in an exhausting way if I constantly have to make tedious decisions about them, like what to cook, what to wear, what to throw away, what to draw, what to put where etc. (= meaning that no, my home is NOT tidy).

I think the focus required in doing and memorising precise physical acts is about the only thing that can shut up my ever-busy/bitchy Ne for a while. There's no room for the usual tangents of association if I want to keep up with the others.

In functional terms I suppose these are my short periods of inferior Si taking the stage. It's the function opposite Ne and their use would theoretically be mutually exclusive.

I noticed that many INFJs have mentioned full tilt physical challenge as their preferred way to stop thinking. That would be a similar pattern, with inferior Se providing a short break from Ni?

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have these odd moments at gigs, particularly if it's a band I especially love and had long wanted to see, where I'm like "Am I here? Is this real? Is this really happening? What is reality?" :D This little inner philosopher starts chattering away...then I'm like "SHUT UP! It'll be over soon enough...just dance, scream, sing and have fun for once!!!" :D

Yes :yes:

It's funny how reality feels surreal to me, even if I am engaged with it and enjoying it. Then later, I will relive the experience in my head & it will feel "more real".

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
astral projection really gets you outside your head. haha. seriously though any activity that I can let go and just let happen will do.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good sex, movies, and playing with kids (most of the time). That's about it.........

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
back in the day it was baseball, or like a big skateboard tour thing. [tony hawks boom boom huck jam]

i was always so quiet even as a kid, but that would usually get me yelling and shouting. it was ridiculous and looking back on it now i embarrass myself. im alot less frivolous now haha.

these days the thing that really gets my muse out in physical form is skateboarding, snowboarding, longboarding. i definatly have my own style and its very distinct. its a very visceral sport once you learn to do it how you want.