6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Why hold? Do share!!
    Already did, with the help of others.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Alcearos: I very much doubt empathy is limited to INFJs... Ne always seem to me like it's very good at picking up external patterns in group dynamics. Tie that in with Fi, "how do I feel about this atmosphere", can easily affect your mood as well.
    See, that's how I work; different mechanics, but you get a simmilar result.
    Basically though there are differences in the mechanics of how Fe and Ni work together compared to how Fi and Ne work together; they end up resulting in similar results of empathy.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I am usually scoring almost max results in empathy tests. I very often notice that I am feeling something that is not origniated to myself meaning that I have picked up somebody else's mood and experiencing it. I have noticed sometimes when I'm coming back from work that my mood changes completely during the way back to my house. It means that I have picked up the athmosphere at work and when I get out of the workplace, I finally pick up my own mood which might be completely different what it was at workplace.

This is very annoying especially if working in environment which is hostile, unhappy etc. I have tried to learn to develop a emotional wall between myself and people around me and I succeed in it sometimes. I have noticed that I still am very easy target for emotional leeches and emotional vampires but I really am trying to get rid of giving emotional response so fast.

Empathy is really a great thing but I have not found out a good place to use it at work. Empahty is really useful at home with children even if children can be somewhat emotionally draining too if they want to.

Added afterwards:
    Even if I'm not INFJ, I seem to have similar way of sensing the feelings of others. My top 4 functions in function test are Ne (4.2), Fi (40.9), Fe (39.8) and Ni (34.8). I have always scored this way in function tests, I get always all N and F functions first, so those are absolutely my strongest functions. That might explain why I have the empath tendencies...?
    Oh yeh....:doh... at one point in my life when really depressed I had to avoid certain people who were energizing the room with nasty vibes. My natural joyous ENFP ness was flattened and I absorbed other Les miseables/unconsciousness because my energy attracted theirs and vice versa.
    I use a method called 'rooted reality' which keeps part of my attention on my inner energy field, if you notice a sudden change that clouds you without stimulation from your thoughts, feel it, do an enviroment quick check, breathe deeply a few times, use your N to locate the source. If it's a person, and if your brave enough, ask them if they are feeling well, and respond appropriatley,or remove yourself If you feel you need to. get some fresh air, stay within your energy field until it subsides, then refresh by simple stretches
    and rubbing your body vigourously for aabout a minute or two.

and tell yourself your god darn good!

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I never thought of it in this way: Person A is feeling sad. Because Person A is sad, I am now sad for the same reason. It's more, person A is sad. I in turn mellow down and my thoughts move towards things that make me sad. Whereas if person A was happy and giddy, my thoughts could easily be directed towards more happy/optimistic ones, so I in turn become happy.
    I think what you've described is what I interpret empathy is. No crazy voodoo mind reading ability yet! Aren't you glad?

It's being able to feel and understand why somebody else is feeling that way. I've heard an analogy of "sympathy is like stepping down in the hole with someone, where as empathy is standing at the edge and offering a hand to pull the person out". I guess it doesn't exactly relate, but it's not a direct you feel this and so I feel that. For me is more like you feel happy and it shows from the way you describe how you're planning to go on a trip, and I get excited in your shoes as I imagine the fun stuff you can do. Kind of what you said in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Basically though there are differences in the mechanics of how Fe and Ni work together compared to how Fi and Ne work together; they end up resulting in similar results of empathy.
    You know, I haven't fully thought about this... ha! It's very much like how different people may have different motives, but in the end, they take the same action. Doubly highlighting on the fact that internal states and thinking are difficult to infer from based on what you notice externally. All the more amazement I have for how N function can come up with all that instantly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

You know, I haven't fully thought about this... ha! It's very much like how different people may have different motives, but in the end, they take the same action. Doubly highlighting on the fact that internal states and thinking are difficult to infer from based on what you notice externally. All the more amazement I have for how N function can come up with all that instantly.
    Yup, type itself is just as much about the paths as it is about the end result.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    So, any other INFJs (or NFs) have a problem with keeping other people's feelings out of their system?

I swear every time someone in a bad mood walks into the same room as me I automatically feel it. It is troublesome and annoying; It always sits in the back of my mind. I am able to ignore it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Of course it has its perks when someone is in a great mood. Literally contagious.

When people do something embarrassing I feel just as embarrassed as they do. My face will heat up and everything. Even if it's just on TV.

Dude, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's so damn annoying that one is so tuned in to other people sometimes. But then again, it's better than being a cold son of a bitch. =)

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

haha your avatar is godlike.
    & I agree with what you said. The world needs more NFs...snif

MBTI
    Infx

I think what you've described is what I interpret empathy is. No crazy voodoo mind reading ability yet! Aren't you glad?

It's being able to feel and understand why somebody else is feeling that way. I've heard an analogy of "sympathy is like stepping down in the hole with someone, where as empathy is standing at the edge and offering a hand to pull the person out". I guess it doesn't exactly relate, but it's not a direct you feel this and so I feel that. For me is more like you feel happy and it shows from the way you describe how you're planning to go on a trip, and I get excited in your shoes as I imagine the fun stuff you can do. Kind of what you said in your post.
    Yes, exactly. Cascade, all you're doing, to me, is breaking down the steps of HOW it effects us. Though.. I guess there is the difference. You see their feelings and let it affect your thoughts.. I tend to go like nightning, putting myself in that person's place. Like.. I had a friend who got to meet and talk to a huuuge role model of his for acting. While I'm not much into the acting field(though I'd like to be more), nor had any similar experiences of meeting a hero, I could still imagine the inspiration and joy he would feel, I could understand the way it would feel if it WOULD have happened to me, and thus share in his joy. So..maybe that is more empathy than just a reminder of thoughts with similar connotations.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I like how nightning put it!

I think much of what I was attempting to describe was nightning's analogy - just that I don't go down into the hole with the other person.

The other thing I was describing was slightly different - it was less of the 1:1 empathy/resonance thing, I think, and more of the fact that I tend to be impacted by the moods/environment/'group vibes' surrounding me.

Combining the two: If I'm with people who are emitting positive emotions, I'll both empathize AND the positive emotions will in turn cause my internal state to become more positive. If I'm with someone who is emitting more negative emotions, I'll both empathize AND the negative emotions may then cause my internal state to become more negative, in the sense that my thoughts may turn towards similar topics.

Eh, I'm confusing myself now. :rolli:

MBTI
    INFJ

You've got it, Cascademn! Amen!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I suppose that some ENFJs might be more inclined to focus on the group perspective rather than on the individual (being extroverted and all), but I'm actually the exact opposite. Granted, groups are easy for me to understand, but I am much more empathetic when it comes to individuals. One person's problems will affect me so much more deeply than a given population's problems. I like dealing with specific, individual human beings more than whole groups... for what reason I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I'm more interested in humanity and what real people are like rather than groupthink. Maybe that's why I didn't really like sociology.

...Or maybe this makes me a really screwed-up ENFJ?