User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

I apologize ahead of time for diverting off the topic, but...

WEDEKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!

This is Nightwing (or Alyssa). Hey there! Didn't expect to see you here!
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I wouldn't say it's a problem exactly. It's just very taxing on the system if you aren't feeling your best to start with. I consider it a useful tool in dealing with other people.

But yes, I know what you mean. When other people are agitated or uplifted, I pick right up on it...sometimes so quickly that I don't even realise where the source of sudden emotion is coming from.

And it is very irritating when I see people picking on others. I really want to do something about it, and sometimes I do, but almost everytime I can't find the correct words to say. So, I end up embarrassing myself and I'm torn between feeling better because the situation was diverted for that person...or feeling worse because I became bait for a starving shark. Or worse because I didn't do anything. Actually, I'm almost certain no matter what I could possibly do, it'd be a lose-lose situation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    So, any other INFJs (or NFs) have a problem with keeping other people's feelings out of their system?

I swear every time someone in a bad mood walks into the same room as me I automatically feel it. It is troublesome and annoying; It always sits in the back of my mind. I am able to ignore it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Of course it has its perks when someone is in a great mood. Literally contagious.

When people do something embarrassing I feel just as embarrassed as they do. My face will heat up and everything. Even if it's just on TV.
    I am usually scoring almost max results in empathy tests. I very often notice that I am feeling something that is not origniated to myself meaning that I have picked up somebody else's mood and experiencing it. I have noticed sometimes when I'm coming back from work that my mood changes completely during the way back to my house. It means that I have picked up the athmosphere at work and when I get out of the workplace, I finally pick up my own mood which might be completely different what it was at workplace.

This is very annoying especially if working in environment which is hostile, unhappy etc. I have tried to learn to develop a emotional wall between myself and people around me and I succeed in it sometimes. I have noticed that I still am very easy target for emotional leeches and emotional vampires but I really am trying to get rid of giving emotional response so fast.

Empathy is really a great thing but I have not found out a good place to use it at work. Empahty is really useful at home with children even if children can be somewhat emotionally draining too if they want to.

Added afterwards:
    Even if I'm not INFJ, I seem to have similar way of sensing the feelings of others. My top 4 functions in function test are Ne (4.2), Fi (40.9), Fe (39.8) and Ni (34.8). I have always scored this way in function tests, I get always all N and F functions first, so those are absolutely my strongest functions. That might explain why I have the empath tendencies...?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i think INFJs are more empathetic because of Ni.

Ni sees a bunch of different perspectives, Fe feels the feelings associated with each of those perspectives.

the stronger the Ni, the more likely you'll see the perspective that one person would be taking. I think ENFJs are better at noticing large-scale (groups') perspectives because they require Ni to do a little less work.

eh, that logic was kinda shitty.
    The first one worked fine for me. XP Although the second also makes sense. Really the two ties in together quite well. it's a difference in focus.

Alcearos: I very much doubt empathy is limited to INFJs... Ne always seem to me like it's very good at picking up external patterns in group dynamics. Tie that in with Fi, "how do I feel about this atmosphere", can easily affect your mood as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Alcearos: I very much doubt empathy is limited to INFJs... Ne always seem to me like it's very good at picking up external patterns in group dynamics. Tie that in with Fi, "how do I feel about this atmosphere", can easily affect your mood as well.
    See, that's how I work; different mechanics, but you get a simmilar result.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I don't know where I fit in with the whole Empath topic.

I guess I never really thought my personal feelings towards emotions I sense around me had anything to do with me 'taking the other persons emotions as my own'. I'm not sure how much 'empathing' there is actually going on - it's more I pick up on vibes, and said vibes impact my own outlook/mental state.

And I have no awareness of hidden illnesses or anything like that, and wouldn't say I'm very extreme in being affected by people walking into a room and my sensing what they're feeling -- because I think it's a huge stretch for me personally to be able to do that. So I can't relate to that aspect of The Empath. Or I might 'guess'/sense that they're mad/unhappy/whatever, but an individual doesn't affect me as much as a group of people - and the group mentality.

I never thought of it in this way: Person A is feeling sad. Because Person A is sad, I am now sad for the same reason. It's more, person A is sad. I in turn mellow down and my thoughts move towards things that make me sad. Whereas if person A was happy and giddy, my thoughts could easily be directed towards more happy/optimistic ones, so I in turn become happy.

But as I'm typing this out, perhaps I do take on others' emotions. For example, anxiety in another person immediately makes me anxious. It's one reason I have such a hard time being with my mother for an extended period -- she makes me tense, because SHE'S tense. It's odd. Or in a previous job setting, the majority of people were incredibly cynical, bitter, whiney, and negative, and being in that setting just ate away at me, I was a half-shell of existance, and I became cynical as well. I hated the setting, I hated becoming this way. But I never thought I was 'taking on' others feelings BECAUSE they were that way - so I'm not sure empathy was a factor in it - it was more that the negative energy around me forced me inward and forced my thoughts/feelings in a negative direction. But I suppose I became cynical because I saw truth in WHY the people around me were cynical, so maybe that is empathy. I dunno.

It's like the mood of the person I'm with or the enviroment I'm in DOES impact my own mood, but I never equated it to me taking on everyone elses' moods, I thought it was other peoples' moods impacting where my own mental state/thoughts/feelings turn to.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Learn something new every day, cas

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Learn something new every day, cas
    Uh...not sure how to interpret...various conclusions drawn between comment and chosen emoticon...

I'm glad you are learning something??

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Uh...not sure how to interpret...various conclusions drawn between comment and chosen emoticon...

I'm glad you are learning something??

I'm more getting confirmation on a concept I've been holding to myself for a while.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Why hold? Do share!!