• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] enfj presidents?

D

Dali

Obama comes across to me as much more T than F. I was in the ENJ camp pre-2009 but I now think ENTP looks more likely.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Obama is ENFJ.

He is most definitely an idealist. Listen to his way of speech, examine the content in his speeches. His entire political stance is on unifying the nation and caring for the less fortunate. I sense a Fe-dom. Also I'm usually turned off intially by most ENFJs because I think they're arrogant and shameless sycophants. That is until I get to know them. I observe their behavior and listen to their ideas often centered around bringing people together, and I learn that they genuinely care about others. I got that same sense from the Obama.

Fecal McAngry

Barack Obama is an ENFP.

Some people would think he is an ENFJ because of his "clever" political maneuvers such as Hillary Clinton's appointment to Secretary of State. However, this isn't a "clever" maneuver, it is what is known in Hawaii as Oh-oponopono.

Oh-oponopono is the part of Hawaiian culture that emphasizes making things right through discussion and forgiveness. This is very common in the Aloha way of thinking and very relevant when you are talking to former rivals.

Most definitely an ENFP. A lot of what Barack does gets misinterpreted into a more devious motive by those who are not familiar with Hawaiian culture.
BO is an NFJ.

Fecal McAngry

I can't comment on ancient presidents, with the exception of Lincoln, who was obviously not an ENFJ. But among recent presidents, we have had two certain ENFJs (Reagan, Clinton), one possible ENFJ (The Obamination, who increasingly appears to me to be an INFJ rather than an ENFJ), and one certain INFJ (Carter).

Fecal McAngry

If you read The Audacity of Hope, he comes across as a really idealistic, "I'm going to try even if it isn't the rational thing to do" sort of Fe-Ni dominant type- which makes ENFJ more likely. This is especially so in the early stages of his career, where he was still relatively unknown.

Of course, a cynical (but plausible) perspective would be that he wrote the book intending to create a persona for himself that people would relate to and rally around- but the simpler answer is that he really is like that, because I haven't really found any evidence to doubt him.

So... he projects an ENFJ persona to the world. If it's genuine, then he's indeed an ENFJ. If it isn't, then I'm thinking he actually might be an INTJ rather than ENTJ, though I cannot rationally explain this. Ni-Te seems more "right" than Te-Ni for a person who manufactures a persona- think Iago from Shakespeare's Othello!

That book was largely ghostwritten by Bill Ayers. Here's a good dissection of The Obamination by an NTP:
Steve Sailer's iSteve Blog: The Introduction to my book: "America's Half-Blood Prince: Barack Obama's Story of Race and Inheritance"

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Obama is ENFJ.

He is most definitely an idealist. Listen to his way of speech, examine the content in his speeches. His entire political stance is on unifying the nation and caring for the less fortunate. I sense a Fe-dom. Also I'm usually turned off intially by most ENFJs because I think they're arrogant and shameless sycophants. That is until I get to know them. I observe their behavior and listen to their ideas often centered around bringing people together, and I learn that they genuinely care about others. I got that same sense from the Obama.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he's isfj. Definitely not Ne-leading. I don't feel like I'd have the same kind of comfort level with his Fe as I would with enfjs that I know and have known. There's a particular shakiness/nervousness in his voice that doesn't resonate with the warmth I'm familiar with.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can't comment on ancient presidents, with the exception of Lincoln, who was obviously not an ENFJ. But among recent presidents, we have had two certain ENFJs (Reagan, Clinton), one possible ENFJ (The Obamination, who increasingly appears to me to be an INFJ rather than an ENFJ), and one certain INFJ (Carter).

Use the word "obviously" again.

Fecal McAngry

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he's isfj. Definitely not Ne-leading. I don't feel like I'd have the same kind of comfort level with his Fe as I would with enfjs that I know and have known. There's a particular shakiness/nervousness in his voice that doesn't resonate with the warmth I'm familiar with.

Obviously, BO's preference is not for sensing. Simple test--does BO's Fe pass judgments about concrete sensory realities, OR implications, conceptualizing, and visions of the future.

Any interview will disabuse you of the notion that he is an earth-bound sensate.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Obama is ENFJ.

BO is an NFJ.
Well guys, after giving it further consideration...Obama could be an ENFJ if he was deep in Fe operational mode.

When Fe rules, Fe becomes very sullen, and controlled. Everything he's doing is well thought out. He's moving as smoothly as he can appear, stopping for occasional emotional appeals, and continuing with determination down the paths he has chosen; difficult to be detered by Congress or even opposing public opinion (when he thinks he's got everybody's best interests at heart).

It's very possible Obama is an ENFJ...one who grew up in a rather idealistic environment (Hawaii), and who was raised with some amount of autonomy. He's used to running things, while taking on a very hawaiian ENFP attitude occasionally to balance himself out with people when he wants to push things through. Fe is blind sometimes though. The greater good should not forsake the lesser if a balance can be reached. He'll find it though...this presidency has taught him a lot already.

I root for him. Even though I'm neutral leaning conservative, I'm glad for him personally being in office because I think he'll come out of it as a better person. The country...well I don't know yet. I'm kinda withholding judgement until he's out.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Obviously, BO's preference is not for sensing. Simple test--does BO's Fe pass judgments about concrete sensory realities, OR implications, conceptualizing, and visions of the future.

Any interview will disabuse you of the notion that he is an earth-bound sensate.

The mere fact that I find it difficult to simply watch any of his interviews lends to my strong belief that he isn't enfj. I find him boring, just as I find many isfjs to be (and intjs may find me).

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The mere fact that I find it difficult to simply watch any of his interviews lends to my strong belief that he isn't enfj. I find him boring, just as I find many isfjs to be (and intjs may find me).

It may seem as if I'm stretching this theory a bit, but I think what you find boring in him is his well-constructed persona. He puts on his best politician face to show his impartiality and to increase the appearance of credibility. I believe he also wears the figurative mask in order to be taken seriously and to be heard by the general public. His calm and cool demeanor is an attitude he projects outwardly to show that he's confident, sure, and in chrage, but I don't think he's that way in the company of his loved ones. On the surface, he seems so chill and collected, but from some of the stories Michelle has told about him to his goofy smile to his interview style [;)] I get the sense that he's more likely a big dork (in a sweet endearing way, of course) in reality. Further, and I truly hate to put it in these terms, but I'm sure he continues to project that confidence and a very self-assured air whether or not he because he feels an additional amount of scrutiny from the American public because of their perception of him based solely on the fact that he is a brown man. It's unfortunate he has to feel that extra weight on his shoulders; it's also unfortunate that I've either overheard or been directly told from some acquaintances and friends that they didn't trust Obama and his goals for the country because "something about him looks wrong," but he knows the score.

As of right now, I think he's trying to be different things for different people and putting on a juggling act so as to appeal to everyone (show of dominant Fe and extreme idealism) while simultaneously trying to aggressively, almost obstinately, implement government programs, systems, and councils that will colletively contribute to the realization of his vision. That seems rather ENFJ to me.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't see how he could NOT be an extrovert- there are instances, such as during talk shows (Letterman), and at the charity roast with McCain... you can see that he really, genuinely enjoys directing energy outwards.

Also, I thought the "beer diplomacy" thing was quite Fe-dominant more than anything else; the idealism in general and sense of how things should be comes across as strong Ni...

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
On the surface, he seems so chill and collected, but from some of the stories Michelle has told about him to his goofy smile to his interview style [;)] I get the sense that he's more likely a big dork (in a sweet endearing way, of course) in reality.

That, right there. I agree completely. That's an extrovert right there. It came so naturally to him! He's an entertainer at heart, for sure. He replaced bowling alleys with basketball courts. C'mon.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
all of these typings could be correct, since it is difficult to type a Reptoid.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It may seem as if I'm stretching this theory a bit, but I think what you find boring in him is his well-constructed persona. He puts on his best politician face to show his impartiality and to increase the appearance of credibility. I believe he also wears the figurative mask in order to be taken seriously and to be heard by the general public. His calm and cool demeanor is an attitude he projects outwardly to show that he's confident, sure, and in chrage, but I don't think he's that way in the company of his loved ones. On the surface, he seems so chill and collected, but from some of the stories Michelle has told about him to his goofy smile to his interview style [;)] I get the sense that he's more likely a big dork (in a sweet endearing way, of course) in reality. Further, and I truly hate to put it in these terms, but I'm sure he continues to project that confidence and a very self-assured air whether or not he because he feels an additional amount of scrutiny from the American public because of their perception of him based solely on the fact that he is a brown man. It's unfortunate he has to feel that extra weight on his shoulders; it's also unfortunate that I've either overheard or been directly told from some acquaintances and friends that they didn't trust Obama and his goals for the country because "something about him looks wrong," but he knows the score.

As of right now, I think he's trying to be different things for different people and putting on a juggling act so as to appeal to everyone (show of dominant Fe and extreme idealism) while simultaneously trying to aggressively, almost obstinately, implement government programs, systems, and councils that will colletively contribute to the realization of his vision. That seems rather ENFJ to me.

It sounds like you're in love with him, so likely can't evaluate him objectively.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Of course.

Interesting, because if you had read it thoroughly, along with my prior comments, you would have realized that I was assessing his personality (or what I've deduced from observing him in interviews and speeches and listening to personal anecdotes) and not his politics. I had even suggested at the beginning of my last comment that I could be wrong about my assessment.

Oh but wait! I can't have any real opinions on this. The points I raised aren't plausible because they are tainted with far too much bias? C'mon, Jeffster.

If you have another perspective or typing theory, I'd love to hear it, but I don't know if claiming I'm blinded by my likelove of him is a good way of getting a point across [did you have one?].

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IlRVy7oZ58"]"A Really Bummed Out ENFJ?"[/YOUTUBE]

I was around 14 when he was elected. All I remember is I liked him a lot, my dad is/was a diehard republican, mom a democrat and I never understood politics at all. Mom used to comment on Jimmy's lack of lip movement when he spoke, dad hated all of the seventies, and I smoked lots of cigs and pot. :doh: Other than that, my remembrance of JC was not that good.

Um, he reminds me though of Fred Rogers. Fred died a year or so ago. Both gentle souls, him and Jimmy. Our country needed Jimmy's healing after the Vietnam war and so was good to have him in office at that time.