• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] enfj presidents?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was around 14 when he was elected. All I remember is I liked him a lot, my dad is/was a diehard republican, mom a democrat and I never understood politics at all. Mom used to comment on Jimmy's lack of lip movement when he spoke, dad hated all of the seventies, and I smoked lots of cigs and pot. :doh: Other than that, my remembrance of JC was not that good.

Um, he reminds me though of Fred Rogers. Fred died a year or so ago. Both gentle souls, him and Jimmy. Our country needed Jimmy's healing after the Vietnam war and so was good to have him in office at that time.

Mr Rogers was an infp.

Jimmy Carter is infj, supposedly.

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
Um, he reminds me though of Fred Rogers. Fred died a year or so ago. Both gentle souls, him and Jimmy.

OMG that's hilarious. You're right. He so totally was like Mr. Rogers. That clinches it for Carter as an NF for me. Maybe ENFJ, yep.:D:happy0065:

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
Maybe Obama is an xnxj and hence doesn't type well, which would explain our difficulty picking one or the other for him.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting, because if you had read it thoroughly, along with my prior comments, you would have realized that I was assessing his personality (or what I've deduced from observing him in interviews and speeches and listening to personal anecdotes) and not his politics. I had even suggested at the beginning of my last comment that I could be wrong about my assessment.

Oh but wait! I can't have any real opinions on this. The points I raised aren't plausible because they are tainted with far too much bias? C'mon, Jeffster.

If you have another perspective or typing theory, I'd love to hear it, but I don't know if claiming I'm blinded by my likelove of him is a good way of getting a point across [did you have one?].

I did read it thoroughly. Why so defensive? I didn't accuse you of supporting Hitler or something, and I didn't even mention politics. Sorry if I was off base, it's just the impression I got, and I've heard similar sentiments from other people.

I think Obama is a very good politician who is good at duping people. Both he and Clinton effectively portrayed an ENFJ-type persona (hope, change, work together and everything can be fixed), but I don't think either of them actually are that type. When analyzed more thoroughly, David Keirsey has typed Clinton as an ESFP and Obama as an INTJ.

George W. Bush, similarly, is an ESTP who portrayed more of an ESFJ (sometimes ESTJ) personality (compassionate conservative, restore dignity, war on terror.)

I think there's very few actual NFs that are successful in politics. And that's not me knocking them. I think NFs need for authenticity clashes heavily with the tactics required to be more than a "flash in the pan" as a politician. Continually having to pimp yourself out to the current whims of the people is a taxing thing on anybody with real convictions, but I think more so on an NF than anybody because of the degree of fraud required.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think there's very few actual NFs that are successful in politics. And that's not me knocking them. I think NFs need for authenticity clashes heavily with the tactics required to be more than a "flash in the pan" as a politician. Continually having to pimp yourself out to the current whims of the people is a taxing thing on anybody with real convictions, but I think more so on an NF than anybody because of the degree of fraud required.

Interesting point. Do you think this might be more the case with NFPs than NFJs? Fe seems better at this sort of thing than Fi.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp

you can't inspire people unless you are authentic. people do have advisors, and for Obama, his biggest push was the democratic convention way back in 2004. after that, his advisors can easily help him maneuver the dirty tricks, lay out options, and then obama can NFize those options. that would be much less taxing.

i don't think any analysis of obama can be done unless ppl are familiar with his hawaiian aloha cultural upbringing and not automatically associate some of those aloha traits to personality traits. like his reaching across the isle in political appointments, making up with hillary and richardson, this was more of his cultural hawaiian upbringing of Ho'oponopono. Which is an ancient Hawaiian practice of reconciliation and forgiveness.

Fecal McAngry

George W. Bush, similarly, is an ESTP who portrayed more of an ESFJ (sometimes ESTJ) personality (compassionate conservative, restore dignity, war on terror.)

No, GWB was an actual F, not a "T pretending to be an F" or whatevah...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mr Rogers was an infp.

Jimmy Carter is infj, supposedly.

This makes sense. I bought a book on "Presidential Temperment" several years ago and it listed Carter as a Guardian. It also listed Nixon as one (which I really think is wrong).

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fred Rogers extroverted feeling, not intuition.

Well, the interwebz say infp. Are you better than themz?

I can see infp or infj. Just because someone is friendly with kids and people, doesn't necessarily mean they are Fe. He obviously feels strongly about public broadcasting for children, enough to even petition congress for funding way back when. Can't that be Fi?

It's weird though. I have his red zipper sweater and I wear it around the house all the time. *eerie* :)

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am fairly certain that George Bush is/was Fe dominant- making him ExFJ.

He seems much more Si than Ni, so I perceive him to be ESFJ. Kind of set in his ways.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bush seemed awfully Se dom with all his talk of going with your gut and being a cowboy war president and all that shit. ESFP maybe?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bush basically gave in to the whims of his administration. He was quite traditional and trusted a little too much in Cheney's abilities as presidentVP. I see definite Fe in WBush and no distinct Fi at all. That also may be due to his Southern up bringing but Fi and the whole establishing your own identity and finding your true essence thing is not in that man. ISFJ.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If Bush isn't estp, what's that make emeril?

Fecal McAngry

Well, the interwebz say infp. Are you better than themz?

I can see infp or infj. Just because someone is friendly with kids and people, doesn't necessarily mean they are Fe. He obviously feels strongly about public broadcasting for children, enough to even petition congress for funding way back when. Can't that be Fi?

It's weird though. I have his red zipper sweater and I wear it around the house all the time. *eerie* :)
Ah, this is the post you were referring to in the message to me. At work, busy. ALL types can be friendly with kids, etc. Has nada to do with functions, directly. Please read The Art of Speedreading People for discussions of Fi vs. Fe as manifest in behavior. The things you are using (apparently) to type people are exceeding vague and nondefinitive.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
of politics and promises, sweeeeeet poetry spouts from our pens. : )