User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Default NFs (especially INFPs) in Technical Fields

So, I was curious about the experiences of other NFs in technical fields. Do you enjoy your work? What are your strengths/weaknesses in your line of work (especially as it relates to type)? How long have you been in your field?

As an INFP computer programmer (for, err... 20 years now—eek! ), I'd say my strengths are:

• Patience with difficult design problems and complexity
    • Ability to understand and communicate with coworkers
    • Good at making minimal changes for maximum effect
    • Easygoing as a team member

And my weaknesses include:
    • Impatience with routine detail
    • Lack of interest in defining and enforcing process
    • Lack of awareness of scheduling in general (although I meet my deadlines)
    • Eventually become impatient with the design process once the difficult problems are worked out

I work mostly with ISJs and INTs. I was at first surprised to discover how many of my coworkers were ISJs, but it does make some sense given how important mastery of detail and follow-through is for programming.

I had to learn how to take direct criticism, and how to be more direct with people who aren't tuned into emotional nuance. Also, in the early parts of my programming career I would be exhausted at the end of the work day and felt deadened emotionally. It would take me an hour or so after work to shift gears and regain my normal level of emotional awareness. Now I seem to shift gears more easily, and doing programming all day is less tiring.

I feel like I spend a fair amount of time at work translating between people and explaining how they actually agree with one another if they would just listen. I feel like because of my Fi orientation, I tend to give people too much autonomy and tend to assume people will be more responsible then they actually are in some cases. I still mostly suck at traditional Te strengths, although I've gotten pretty good at completing what I start.

I am curious about hearing from other NFs in technical fields, and what they feel like their strengths and weaknesses are relative to their peers.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've started threads on this exact topic... NT's and SJ's out the yin-yang, plus a good smattering of ISTP's. maybe one SF, usually I'm the only NF...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I am studying business informatics, does that sound technical enough? (Ok, as you are a programmer, I guess yes )

So as I am still studying, I cannot really tell about experience in actual work, and neitehr my strengths and weaknesses. Learning, well, I am lazy, so I have trouble getting myself to learn something, but when I learn about it, it actually is interesting for me, so yes, I can say it is fun to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Definitely can be a challenge to learn strategies to deal with the uneven motivation of being a Perceiver. As I've said before, I kind of like having deadlines; they help counter-act perfectionism by shifting the requirements from "being perfect" to "being as good as it can be given the allotted amount of time."

ENFP - Physicist (5 years since graduating)

Strengths:
    • Maths
    • Visualising systems and interactions
    • Seeing optimal approach to problems
    • Comfort with practical and theoretical
    • Seeing value in different project directions
    • Communicating ideas and concepts to higher management

Weaknesses:
    • Not getting to work on time or keeping to routine
    • Not good at reading large numbers of scientific papers
    • Can get stuck when forced to be too meticulous
    • React badly to micromanaging (focus on fulfilling tasks and become scientifically stupid)
    • May increase understanding rather than draw conclusions when I don't have a set target or see practical value.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden BrĂŒder, Wo dein sanfter FlĂŒgel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Peacebaby and UDog are both INFP's in technical fields, as is Alchemiss if she is still around

If you are willing to extend to our extraverted NFP cousins, Alcea Rosea, Elaur, and Happy Puppy all do as well. I had forgotten about Noigm, largely cuz I was more focused on women, and Udog and I have had conversations on this topic before.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    As I've said before, I kind of like having deadlines; they help counter-act perfectionism by shifting the requirements from "being perfect" to "being as good as it can be given the allotted amount of time."
    I don't work in a technical field, but this is true for me also. Without deadlines, nothing would ever truly be finished
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

IT Research for almost 15 years (man, time has flown by)

Strengths :
    - Open-minded about technology most of the time. While I might be passionate about my current area of research (semantics) more than others, I can also see that it is not the solution to all problems.
    - Quick learner and reader, but research papers tend to bore me most of the time (Get to the point, will you?)
    - Good at communicating ideas at different levels : to other technical people, to management, to end-users, to the layman. Includes both written communication as well as making presentations and demonstrations.
    - Will always have an idea or solution to a problem, even if it isn't a currently viable one Brainstorming is lots of fun!
    - Willing to help my colleagues if they have a problem with their project. Even if I don't fully understand the details, I can get the big picture easily enough to at least make some suggestions, or at worst just listen as they work it out themselves.

Weaknesses :
    - Time management. If I don't feel it's important, it'll be done at the last minute.
    - People management. Too soft-hearted to correct others, even when it is needed. Has improved a bit and now I can criticize my colleague's papers, patent ideas, presentations, etc if necessary. But still prefer not to manage ppl too much.
    - Taking criticisms of ideas when submitting research papers and patent disclosures.
    - Jumping to conclusions about other ppls' work. When I listen to other ppl talking about their work, I tend to quickly come to a judgment regarding whether it is a good idea or not. I'm always thinking about how doing things another way would be better, but now I realize that different ppl have different ways of thinking, and their points of view are at least equally valid most of the time.
    - Asking for help. While I can be a good team member and enjoy helping others, it just doesn't feel right when I'm stuck and require help from others.
    - Finishing the job. I can get a working prototype to demonstrate a solution quickly, but don't have the patience or perserverence to complete it so that it's market ready. Guess that's why we have the programmers
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

IT business (kind of project management)

Strenghts
    - flexibility
    - ability to work with different kinds of people
    - willingness to learn new
    - ability to see the big picture (e.g system architecture)
    - organizing skills (believe or not I can do it well - when organizing other people's work, lol)
    - ability to handle a lot of things to work towards multiple goals at the same time
    - problem solving skills
    - ability to inspire people and lift the spirit

Weaknesses
    - not seeing the details, making mistakes with details
    - not liking the routine
    - having difficulties with strong and dominant people
    - being scatterbrained when not prepared
    - being indecisive in some situations
    Last edited by alcea rosea; 02-26-2010 at 01:18 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

IT Service Desk (Corporate Internal)

Strenthgs:
    - I seem to know the core issue withing the first 30s - 1min
    - constantly finding new work arounds to add to the processes
    - understanding of issue frustration

Weaknesses:
    - I hate spending half an hour to three days proving my hunch correct
    - too often I feel like all I'm doing is reading a script and doing very little thinking
    - generally bad at communicating how much I want to solve the issue
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]